2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah.... he could def fall to 17. As you said there’s not a ton of teams before us that need a DE badly.

People get caught up on his sack total.... a lot of those weren’t “high level sacks” and he’s super raw and a lot of those sacks came from playing DT.  

he’s got the prototype body but he’s going to need to refine his skills a ton.  I wouldn’t expect year 1 success with him.  Dudes a real project.... which is why he could be there at 17.

Wonder how his much you can fill up his frame sometimes he looks like a awkward lanky guy playing football. Combine will be interesting for guys like him esp

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 12:26 PM, Trojan said:

Has Travis Etienne been discussed as a potential first round pick for us? Assuming we make the playoffs and are a better team than most would have projected and pick late, a player like Etienne could complement Josh Jacobs, who has undoubtedly been our workhorse, and make it so Jacobs doesn't need to get on a pace of ~400 carries. Another pro-ready RB of ultra-high caliber could create a Marcus Allen-Bo Jackson dynamic where we run like no ones business and that in turn reduces the burden on Carr/Ruggs/Edwards/Waller, but the speed threat of Ruggs and Waller would compliment such a dynamic run game. I feel like right now Jacobs might be our team MVP, and thusly building upon a strength may be a path to playoff relevance. Additionally Etienne has been a real prospect for a couple years and in an odd draft that in itself may be valuable for scouting and avoiding a bust which is important as a team on the cusp of relevancy. Also the Titans showed that the AFC is a QB haven with Jackson and Mahomes, but a run game on fire still finds success.

I'm not saying he should be the pick, or it makes the most sense, but it might be an option.

I love Etienne and think he's a stud, but if the Raiders draft him in the 1st round, I'll break things. This team needs defense.

49 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I liked him coming out of ariz st and thought it was a good signing also but they choose leevit the safety over him mehh 

Until I die I don't think I'll ever understand this.  Randall is head and shoulders better than Leavitt, Heath, and Harris.  Probably Abram too. 

59 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I liked him coming out of ariz st and thought it was a good signing also but they choose leevit the safety over him mehh 

There has to be some injury we aren't aware of. He played 35 snaps in 10 games for the Seahawks.

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

"And Randall compliments Abram because he has a ton of range and great ball skills so we'll be able to trust him in center field and bring Abram into the box more frequently."

This has to be the worst take in the history of this forum, bar-none, hands down. 

Randall couldn't make the team.

Show's his "scouting" sense. 😂

I disagree... Randall played very well as a FS in the recent past.  No one I mean no one thought he’d not make the team.  Maybe some weren’t super high on him but we all thought at minimum he’d be a decent stop gap.  

Randall wasn’t healthy in camp and got cut.... There’s nothing you can do about that.   He seemed like a good scheme fit to pair with Abram.  Sometimes things seem like they’ll be okay (not great... “ok”) but end up not working.  

also.... there’s always the aspect of a new signing for us at least where people want to be optimistic.... we all talk ourselves into things.  I did it with the Lynn Bowden pick.  I hated it at first but figured “hey this could work if....”  my if was that they would line him up in the backfield and then motion him into the slot or run those option routes Richard kills people with out of the backfield.

but after the initial energy of the news wears off and you have time to reflect and even watch some games or tape or research a bit.... and you still support a bad move then that’s when you deserve criticism.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

If any of you guys have time and want to research some interesting potential targets for us in the 1st/2nd, here are some players I see going in that range at positions of need for us.  

Rousseau Edge

Ossai Edge 

Oweh Edge

Holland S

Wilson 3T

Horn CB

Campbell CB

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

After some brief game film watching on Gregory Rousseau.... i can honestly say I might pass on him at 17.   I love the length... absolutely love it... but the lack of moves and the almost total lack of countermoves is crazy.  He’s a not pulling off what he did in college on OTs in the NFL.    I get coming out early cuz he was rated so high but I think it’s a really bad idea for his long term Prospects.  There’s definitely a lot to work with and mold, but he’s going to need a good DL coach and a few years.  We simply can’t wait til year 3 for him to be productive.... so i really hope someone just gets enamored with the upside and takes him before us.  

I hate to say it but I think there’s no one there for us at 17.... we gotta trade back into the 25-32 range if not again into the top of the second and stack picks. 

8 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

He looked like a very good fit next to Abram. I have no idea what happened to him since he never got any playing time after joining the Seahawks either.

Yup guilty as well. I thought picking up Randall rounded off our secondary really well. 

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

So far in two years since Mayock has been GM, we've yet to trade up or down. This is significant because we've had 5 first rounders. Do you think standing pat continues?

I get the feeling this crew has their guys and will take them regardless. The fact they had all that capital to play in the draft and came away with the little impact kind of tells the story.

So the raiders have these picks? 
R1 - Raiders 

R2- Raiders 

R3- Raiders 

R4- Dolphins (Bowden trade)

R5- Dolphins (McMillen trade, pick swap)

R6- Redskins ( David Sharpe trade)

R7- Bears (Eddy Pineiro trade) 

-lost 5th due to Zay Jones trade

-lost 6th due to COVID violations 

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I hate to say it but I think there’s no one there for us at 17.... we gotta trade back into the 25-32 range if not again into the top of the second and stack picks. 

I don't hate that at all. 

There's a few guys in the 2nd-4th round (right now) who I really, really like. 

Between contract situations and guys we really need to move on from, upgrade, the likely FA market, etc., stacking picks would be absolutely ideal imo. 

1st round picks can be great, but they're most enticing when you're an impact player or two from having a complete team. We aren't. At bare minimum, we need quite a few guys on the D line and in the secondary (thinking DT, S, NCB). Ideally we would add competition at DE in the form of a pass rusher. On O, T and G are going to need to be looked at. The only positions I'm not looking at on days 1-2 (caveat being some MASSIVE steal) is QB, RB, TE, WR. 

So if we broke down our "needs" in no particular order we've got: DT, DE, S, NCB, OT, OG. There's 6 positions. Nobody knows for sure who hits the market, so let's just look at draft strategy.

In that case, we actually have a slight advantage of a deep class at our positions of need. If we could trade our first for 2 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd (whatever value we can think of), I would do so in a heartbeat. Say we got an extra 2 round two picks. There's 4 picks in the 2nd-3rd rounds. I think we can easily find day 1 starters at 4 of our positions of need, considering some of the guys who have seen drops in their stock lately. 

Just estimates, of course, but I'm with you on 1st round prospects. With what we need, I would take a handful of day 2 picks over a 1st rounder in a heartbeat. This would've been a fantastic year to have multiple 1st round picks for that very reason. 

3 hours ago, Justwinning said:

So far in two years since Mayock has been GM, we've yet to trade up or down. This is significant because we've had 5 first rounders. Do you think standing pat continues?

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I get the feeling this crew has their guys and will take them regardless. The fact they had all that capital to play in the draft and came away with the little impact kind of tells the story.

God I hope not. But @big_palooka is right. We could've loaded up on day 2 picks and just treated the 1st round like a regular season and taken 1 st rounder while really rounding out the team. We didn't. And I believe Mayock has guys he thinks are absolute difference makers and will take them if available, regardless of draft slot.