Andy Dalton signs 1 year deal with the Dallas Cowboys

.Buzz

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why? He clearly thinks he's got something. He see's Stidham, see's our recent history of developing QBs into serviceable parts and if he didn't like it - he had a chance to draft Love or Hurts and didn't. I think he thinks he's got something to work with.

Hurts would've been a terrible choice to be any part of their Plan A for the 2020 season. But I think the surprise is more of a testament to the respect that BB has shown. People look at who they have and think he has an ace up his sleeve when really that ace might just be Stidham. I dont consider it an indictment of how people perceive BB

12 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I suppose the logistics are that

1. If Dak doesn't re-sign, Dalton could be an insurance policy for a year until they draft another QB 
  2. If Dak does sign a new contract, Dalton could be a great backup to Dak

I think this is clearly #2, an absolute Cadillac of a backup QB. 

1 hour ago, bzane said:

Ya know, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people treating Andy Dalton like he's some kind of red-haired stepchild!

DAL659900.png

-You ask me, I think the Cowboys signed him to provide the missing ginger in their offense!

This is a photo of Jason Garrett of the Dallas Cowboys NFL football team. This image reflects the Dallas Cowboys active roster as of Monday, June 13, 2016. (AP Photo)

Just a face you want to punch

Definitely saw this coming, as long as Dalton was resigned to being the backup wherever he decided to go.  If he thought he was going to start, Jax made the most sense, with NE close behind, provided they could figure out a way to fi him under the cap (extending Thuney long term, reducing the franchise tag value).

It gives Dallas a reliable backup, and is insurance in case the Dak negotiations never get completed

16 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I suppose the logistics are that

1. If Dak doesn't re-sign, Dalton could be an insurance policy for a year until they draft another QB 
  2. If Dak does sign a new contract, Dalton could be a great backup to Dak

And they can get a sweet comp pick for him too.

14 hours ago, kramxel said:

Weird place for him, have to wonder if there weren't a ton of better places for him to earn a starting job... 

I get it from Dallas' perspective, just not from Dalton's. 

Hey do you want 7 million dollars to not do anything next year?

I mean it's a pretty easy sell for dalton i think.

7 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Maybe he likes him. And if he sucks you get a real franchise QB in 2021.

Pretty much. If the QB does well then great. They know they got something in him. if not? Also fine. They draft high and nab of the QB coming out. It is a win/win. They basically rebuilding right now in a way.

That is...a bit of a surprising landing spot for Dalton.  Really seemed like he was going to try to position himself somewhere that he'd have a shot at starting.  Where Dak is pretty well entrenched in Dallas.  Guessing this must be a team Dalton views as a "contender", and/or probably grew up a Cowboys fan?

Good insurance policy for Dallas, at what sounds like a very reasonable price.  The only potential drawback to it i can imagine, is the slight risk of what i might do to the tone around the team if Dak ends up having a few weak games in a row at some point.

8 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

That wasn’t the plan in 2001 though. The plan was to try to win a title with your verteran legend in Bledsoe that you just signed to 100 million dollar contract. Bledsoe got hurt Brady came in and everything changed.

Everything that happened with Brady was basically a miracle that no one saw coming.

02, 03, 04... The point is Bill will be trying to win with what he's got. Namely an unproven QB and a decent defense. No way we're tanking.

Don't overlook the contract. This is a one year deal.

On the franchise tag, he costs about $31 Million. The Team needs that number around $20MM, so DP had a lot of leverage already. On top  of that, he was the only QB in the house worthy of the name. More than anything it removes that piece leverage from the negotiations. 

J

Andy Dalton also grew up in Kathy, Texas which is just outside of Houston. Maybe he thought this is a chance to be close to home, and if things don't work out between Dallas and Dak then he can start again, and if not hes getting paid nicely to be a backup in his home state

22 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Its a copycat league.....kind of surprised more teams arent running with that super quality backup model form Philly.

Like is Buffalo just calling it a year if Josh Allen goes down?

Most teams don't know how to develop one QB, let alone two 

It's easier said than done 

17 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Dak Sucks

He's got no more excuses this year with what essentially amounts to 3 #1 receivers. And this is on top of having a top 2 RB and one of the better OLs in the league.

But hey, if all else fails, they've got one of the best backups in the league.

Edited by KManX89