Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, swoosh said:

I absolutely hate to say it but I really do believe Julio will be traded. 

Not sure if Baltimore could afford him but I think he would be an intriguing piece to be added to that team and they are in desperate need of some wr help. Could be beneficial now that they have 2 1st rd to use a 2nd on Julio and a future pick for him while they use their 1st for other positions. Not sure how ravens fans would feel about the move. Is a 2nd even something Atlanta would consider?

14 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Not sure if Baltimore could afford him but I think he would be an intriguing piece to be added to that team and they are in desperate need of some wr help. Could be beneficial now that they have 2 1st rd to use a 2nd on Julio and a future pick for him while they use their 1st for other positions. Not sure how ravens fans would feel about the move. Is a 2nd even something Atlanta would consider?

It would be a post draft trade most likely.

I’m 50/50 on it. Julio Jones is a dawg and would help us out a lot but with Lamar’s contract coming soon we need good players on rookie deals so picks might be worth it.

it depends on how the money can work out so if the GM does it I’ll be happy and trust his call on that, and likewise if EDC doesn’t pull the trigger I’ll just bet that the money didn’t work out.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I am - but you know the saying of those in glass houses and stones.

Both franchises have underachieved. Fair?

Sure. But for fairly different reasons. Houston has failed because of genuine incompetence from ownership down. 

Atlanta has failed because the 28-3 situation broke the spirit of the head coach and GM that built that Super Bowl appearance team. Wildly different reasons. Atlanta needed fresh leadership that hasn't been traumatized by Atlanta yet. Houston is just incompetent.

26 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Sure. But for fairly different reasons. Houston has failed because of genuine incompetence from ownership down. 

Atlanta has failed because the 28-3 situation broke the spirit of the head coach and GM that built that Super Bowl appearance team. Wildly different reasons. Atlanta needed fresh leadership that hasn't been traumatized by Atlanta yet. Houston is just incompetent.

Rose by any other name ...still smells like a rose. 

- Shakespeare.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Atlanta has failed because the 28-3 situation broke the spirit of the head coach and GM that built that Super Bowl appearance team.

Yet, that same HC/GM were given four years after that SB loss. Bill O'Brien got four games after giving up the 24-0 lead on KC.

I'm very well aware that Houston is incompetent - in fact, I drive that bus. As I look at Atlanta objectively, I ask myself - giving four more years to people with broken spirits after that SB?

Yeah, that sure as hell isn't competent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

It's really hard to nail down his value. But, I feel like a 2nd is too much for a 32 year old WR, even one as talented as Julio. Wide receiver isn't exactly a scarce position (for teams other than the Ravens), as there are really good young, fast guys every draft.

I'd offer like a 3rd and 5th in 2022 post draft for Julio for the Ravens.

41 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yet, that same HC/GM were given four years after that SB loss. Bill O'Brien got four games after giving up the 24-0 lead on KC.

I'm very well aware that Houston is incompetent - in fact, I drive that bus. As I look at Atlanta objectively, I ask myself - giving four more years to people with broken spirits after that SB?

Yeah, that sure as hell isn't competent.

It's not competent but some of the reasoning behind it wasn't aweful. What makes it dumb is the musical chairs that are the coordinator positions. Too me this has always been Atlanta's Achilles heel and the cause for a lot of issues (playcalling, player development etc).

I'm 100% sure 2017 would have been a revenge tour of 2007 Pat's level if Shanny wouldn't have left for the 49'ers. Instead we get Sark, who under preforms massively for a year. Then in 2018 he gets it on the road but gets scapegoated so Quinn can keep his job. Then somehow Dirk "I had one good year in 2012 with Matt Ryan" Koetter gets brought back in the fold (this is incompetence). At the same time Defensive Coordinator is also a mess because Quinn can't quite decide if he wants to be a HQ or a DC.

What happened is that in 2016 they we're baking a cake and it was almost good enough to win a bake off. But then instead of keeping the key ingredients the same they tossed half of those out and went garbage bin diving. Big part of that was Shanny going to the 49'ers though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

It's really hard to nail down his value. But, I feel like a 2nd is too much for a 32 year old WR, even one as talented as Julio. Wide receiver isn't exactly a scarce position (for teams other than the Ravens), as there are really good young, fast guys every draft.

I'd offer like a 3rd and 5th in 2022 post draft for Julio for the Ravens.

Who are you going to draft in the second round overall that is going to have a bigger impact then JJ over the next ~3 years?

I feel people always overvalue draft picks so much, especially if you've got your franchise QB in place. Case in point; Tony G. Fairly sure we gave up a second rounder for him but he was awesome for the Falcons. Who did that 2nd round pick turn into? Javier Arenas. And while he did have a decent career for a second round pick Tony G won us quite a few games and gave us a real shot at the SB.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Who are you going to draft in the second round overall that is going to have a bigger impact then JJ over the next ~3 years?

I feel people always overvalue draft picks so much, especially if you've got your franchise QB in place. Case in point; Tony G. Fairly sure we gave up a second rounder for him but he was awesome for the Falcons. Who did that 2nd round pick turn into? Javier Arenas. And while he did have a decent career for a second round pick Tony G won us quite a few games and gave us a real shot at the SB.

You may be right, like I said it's tough to nail down. It has been a while since an older skill position player has been traded, but Tony G is a good comp. 

33 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

You are guilty of making the most common mistake people make when evaluating player for pick trades.

Yes Julio Jones may make more of an impact than the player you pick but that isn't what you are giving up. You have to pay him as well. His base salary is 15m.   

The question isn't whether Julio Jones is better than a second round draft pick its whether Julio Jones is better than a second round pick plus a reasonably high end free agent signing. Even if you wouldn't spend that 15m this season, its money that can be rolled over and can be used next season to stop you losing one of your best players.

The value of draft picks is you can hopefully get good young ascending players for cheap contracts. 

3 hours ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

Atlanta and possibly questionably former Houston fans should not be at war with each other. They should embrace each other! After all, was it not the Patriots that caused you both grief and despair?

and to make it worse our despair from the pats in that SB happened IN HOUSTON 🤣

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

You are guilty of making the most common mistake people make when evaluating player for pick trades.

Yes Julio Jones may make more of an impact than the player you pick but that isn't what you are giving up. You have to pay him as well. His base salary is 15m.   

The question isn't whether Julio Jones is better than a second round draft pick its whether Julio Jones is better than a second round pick plus a reasonably high end free agent signing. Even if you wouldn't spend that 15m this season, its money that can be rolled over and can be used next season to stop you losing one of your best players.

The value of draft picks is you can hopefully get good young ascending players for cheap contracts. 

Yes, because elite players hit the open market all the time.

An elementary mistake is thinking capspace is able to buy you wins. Let's be real, the top 5% of FA players you DO want generally don't hit the market (resigns and franchise tag) then you have the few that pass through but you have to compete with the rest prototypical "bad teams with tons of capspace" to have a shot.

JJ is, when healthy, still a top 5 WR next year. He was on pace for another sickening season before getting hurt. If I had a QB on a rookie deal and a roster that is ready to compete that is a gamble I'm willing to take to crack open that SB window.

47 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

If we were to take say a Najee Harris or Javontae Williams at RB.  They very well could have a bigger impact than Julio over the next 3 years based on us needing a run game big time and have for a few years now.   Us getting a really good run game i think does more for the offense than a extra passing option even if it is Julio.  Now with that said i would want more than a 2nd round pick for Julio to even debate on moving him for me it would take a late 1st and a 3rd at minimum or im keeping him and rolling with him and ryan for 3 more years while adding to them until their contracts run out.

• Like 1