Steelers/Titans game Rescheduled to Week 7; Steelers/Ravens to Week 8

RaidersAreOne

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Packers have a week 5 bye, so 11 is going to be OK, but 12 means automatic exits from the playoffs? I think you're overreacting. Both teams are 3-0, get the #1 seed then and have another bye.

If this spills into next week I'm all for making the Titans forfeit that game. Clearly protocols were not followed here with the amount of spread they have. 31 teams don't have this issue. Vikings played a game with a bunch of Covid positive players it looks like with no positive tests. The league shouldn't be fair this year, keep your team healthy, or face the consequences.

I think its tough past ten for any team.

They should have just stopped everything this week. Next weeks game is in jeopardy. No Viking’s tested positive yet but we are still finding new Titans on Saturday so if someone has it, it’s probably spreading now and at risk to infect people in their game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

There is no way these teams are going to sustain their level of play going 12 straight games after the bye. If they make it to the playoffs, they are going one and done.

The Ravens had a week 2 “bye” back in 2008. They had a heads up of 2 days for their “bye week” due to Hurricane Ike. What’s more they also had one of the toughest schedules in the NFL that season. Yet they made it to the AFCCG, where they loss to the eventual Super Bowl winners, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Are you insinuating that the 2020 Steelers, who have even more time to “rest” than those Ravens had, can’t produce such an accomplishment with a lesser schedule (unless the NFCE suddenly wake up to become world beaters)?

No offense but the Steelers had ample enough time to actually get a quality break in and enough time to still prepare for their next opponent. They also get some additional game planning opportunity in taking down a conference playoff contender (assuming they’re can get their outbreak under control), against the Titans. Is it an ideal path? No, it isn’t.

Now with the Titans I don’t disagree. But that’s only because their situation is one we’ve never seen. They’re getting a less than ideal bye week PLUS a Covid outbreak. If they can somehow pull this one out, they might deserve two SB rings.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

If this spills into next week I'm all for making the Titans forfeit that game. Clearly protocols were not followed here with the amount of spread they have. 31 teams don't have this issue. Vikings played a game with a bunch of Covid positive players it looks like with no positive tests. The league shouldn't be fair this year, keep your team healthy, or face the consequences.

This just isn't going to happen.  The Titans aren't the only team that would suffer consequences from being made to forfeit.  It's possible teams lose out on a potential playoff spot or seeding because of it, and the Bills look like a possible 1/2 seed so it will matter.  And as I said earlier in this thread, it sets a horrible precedent.  This isn't like suspending a player.  This is doing something that's never happened in the NFL, and if you do it to the Titans, then you have to be consistent with it.  Unless you think the Titans are the only team that will have an outbreak this season (I hope I'm wrong, but it is unlikely that will be the case), then that means you are likely going to have to make other teams forfeit this season too.  It would be terrible for the game.  Quite frankly, I would bet anything that the NFL cancels games or pauses the season long before they made a team forfeit.  I'd be shocked if owners would even support it.

And I said this same thing somewhere else, but it would be a bad looking headline for the NFL (and for good reason) if they made a team forfeit because of an outbreak during a pandemic.  Another reason why they would pause the season over making a team forfeit.  

Look at how the NBA handled the situation.  They didn't make the Jazz forfeit, they canceled the game and paused the season.  And not only does one individual NBA regular season game mean a lot less than one in the NFL, but the Jazz were already on the court.  Granted you could argue it's more-so because of how relatively early we were into the pandemic at the time, but I think they would still do the same thing today if someone got sick in the bubble.  

I just don't like the narrative that somehow the Titans are unloading these problems onto other teams, when it is the league that unloaded the problem on every team by having a season.  We knew this was going to happen.  And we knew football was going to be harder to pull off because of how huge the rosters and staff are.  And we knew it was going to be even harder because of no bubble.  We knew all these things.  The league was hoping it wouldn't happen, but it did.  The league should stop the season and think about how they want to push further, because making a team forfeit doesn't solve how to stop this from happening to another team.  It just pushes the problem back, leaving you with just hope and no plan that the Titans are an outlier.

EDIT - And just as I say this Cam tests positive.  So yeah, time to shut down the reason.  There is no reason to continue without an actual plan going forward.  Relying on people not getting sick while away from facilities isn't a plan.  

Edited by iknowcool

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

A few thoughts:

1.  The above highlights why masking and social distancing is so important.   This spread between units, and it's only been TEN (more on that).    But it also shows the inherent risk once a team has an internal outbreak - with so many indoor meetings, adherence all the time is a must.  And the part I touched on before - to be truly safe, teams have to quarantine entire units who were present at said meetings - because you can't tell who will catch it.  It's fortunate fewer players have caught it than staff - but the fact staff have caught it underlines the need to go into strict quarantine for a set period of time as a group once exposure is confirmed.   Hopefully TEN's positives will now subside - if it doesn't, then it suggests that further spread beyond initial exposure may have taken place - which again highlights how adherence to masking / distancing / hand hygiene really needs to be a 24/7 practice and mindset.

2.  The fact MIN players haven't tested positive shows how much sustained, close-quarter contact matters more, ESPECIALLY indoors.     For all the concerns about contact at the LOS in-game, it's not sustained.   Hopefully MIN stays clear - in another day or so, they're likely totally in the clear (and very justified to play tomorrow).  This would actually give more hope the season can work - it's then the team's internal practices that really needs more tightening.

3.  The scheduling is a disaster.  How the NFL couldn't have forecasted the need for buffering is inexcusable. 

The Rock Applause GIF

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think is safe to say at this point that something wasn’t followed correctly at the Titans facility. 

Or, we are the only team that has traveled immediately following exposure, putting players on an airplane together the day we found out our defensive playcaller had Covid.

There is a reason protocol has already changed and the Pats have been sent home despite only one positive test. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Or, we are the only team that has traveled immediately following exposure, putting players on an airplane together the day we found out our defensive playcaller had Covid.

There is a reason protocol has already changed and the Pats have been sent home despite only one positive test. 

I thought reporting said that the OLB wasn’t in Minny with the team? Either way we’ve added more players and coaches to the list. The Titans/Bills game next week if might be in jeopardy. 

If they followed the NFL protocols all week to a T and this still happened then the NFL protocols were bad. But at this point it’s getting past the “unlucky it spread” phase and into “something wasn’t followed” phase. This is too big an outbreak to just be bad luck. 

EDIT:

As I was typing Schefter posted this article:

“”After the Titans' recent outbreak -- during which nine players and nine team personnel members have tested positive, one source observed to ESPN that "This isn't a failure of the protocols; it is a failure to follow the protocols." “”

The article goes on to say the sources tell him the coach came in contact with someone who was positive, didn’t report it, was with coaches, and the team hasn’t been diligent about wearing masks in facility. 

Edited by warfelg

So the league offers a ton of guideline for teams to follow, but then doesn't make sure that everyone is following them? 

I'm not trying to be a cynic here, I'm sure that in every team there's individuals that don't comply with protocols. 

But when testing is your only line of defense to establish if teams are following protocol, then I'd say that's too late. 

• Like 1