Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

21 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I have 0 sympathy for a 6-10 team not making the playoffs because they needed a team to win and they rested starters. 

I have zero sympathy for the Giants too.  That doesn't excuse a team intentionally losing a game.

I think that teams that are in position to play the spoiler  in week 17 should play to win.  I think intentionally losing sets a bad precedent for a few reasons.

First of all, it puts a bad product on the field.  The NFL and NBC flexed the Eagles into prime time because it was supposed to be a climactic ending to the season.  Instead Pederson turned it into a preseason exhibition.  Nobody was tuning in to see a third string QB suck.

Secondly, it opens up the potential for collusion.  What's to say Washington doesn't return the favor and throw a game in the Eagles favor down the road? That's not a good look for the league. 

I feel like the majority of people around the league, including the announcers were disappointed by the move.

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1345959245192245254?s=20

I really don't see the outrage here. They replaced a bad QB with another bad QB in a bad game that meant nothing to them.

Has anyone considered Pederson was doing Sudfeld's pocket book a favor? Did he earn any additional money by taking snaps?

How was this decision different than the Dolphins benching Tua for Fitzpatrick (which was widely praised) last week?

In what universe is benching a QB who is 7/20 for 72 yds and an INT (passer rating of 25) a questionable decision? Hurts is a more "fun and exciting" option for fans than Nate Sudfeld, that's literally the only reason people noticed anything. Heck, if Hurts was in his 2nd year and everything else was identical, nobody would have noticed.

Much ado about nothing

Wild that Bruce Arians got ripped to shreds for starting his guys in a meaningless game, and Doug Pederson is getting ripped to shreds for pulling his guys in a meaningless game. 

The only problem I have with it was that it was a flexed prime time game. It was a bad product on the field and possibly left a bad impression or taste in the mouth for many people watching it. The optics of it are terrible.

Other than that, the situation is more "meh". For me anyways.

You are overestimating the abilities of Dumb Pederson. He's absolutely horrible at coaching and if Frank Reich and DeFlip were not there in 2017, Wentz would have been a disaster from the get go. Pederson is simply an idiot and has no clue what he's doing. 

10 minutes ago, pwny said:

Wild that Bruce Arians got ripped to shreds for starting his guys in a meaningless game, and Doug Pederson is getting ripped to shreds for pulling his guys in a meaningless game. 

Was it meaningless for Tampa? Or did they have the 5 seed locked up already?

27 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I have zero sympathy for the Giants too.  That doesn't excuse a team intentionally losing a game.

I think that teams that are in position to play the spoiler  in week 17 should play to win.  I think intentionally losing sets a bad precedent for a few reasons.

First of all, it puts a bad product on the field.  The NFL and NBC flexed the Eagles into prime time because it was supposed to be a climactic ending to the season.  Instead Pederson turned it into a preseason exhibition.  Nobody was tuning in to see a third string QB suck.

Secondly, it opens up the potential for collusion.  What's to say Washington doesn't return the favor and throw a game in the Eagles favor down the road? That's not a good look for the league. 

I feel like the majority of people around the league, including the announcers were disappointed by the move.

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1345959245192245254?s=20

I don’t think any of us are in a position to make that judgement call, as none of us are owners.

Personally I could care less if a team tanks, loses on purpose.  That’s on the owner to decide if changes/actions need to be taken.  

As far as the game being flexed,  that’s on NBC and the NFL in general for constantly throwing NFC East games in our face... and expecting them to turn out different.   If you want to throw out how many of these games the NFL forced us to watch,  I could definitely get behind that trend. 

52 minutes ago, Gmen said:

If you look at the draft historically, you'll see very little difference in value between #6 and #9.  

Is it a chasm comparatively? no.

But Every draft is also different, some drafts it can mean a qb that wont be there at 9, or a star player who gets pushed down for teams needing a QB.
In this draft it can help, and thats all that really matters.

The fact that the NFL thought this game was worth flexing to SNF is just laughable. Just a terrible product for the NFL to have on SNF the final week of the regular season. The NFL thinking this game was going to be worth a primetime slot is the biggest problem with what happened, I'm not buying that it was a tank job.

19 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Is it a chasm comparatively? no.

But Every draft is also different, some drafts it can mean a qb that wont be there at 9, or a star player who gets pushed down for teams needing a QB.
In this draft it can help, and thats all that really matters.

Its also not just 6 from 9.  They moved up to 6 in every round.  

17 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

What can the NFL do (if anything) to deter tanking?

Do you agree with the sentiment of tanking?

How does this affect Phildelphia’s culture or the perception of Pederson moving forward (of at all)?

Nothing.  I could care less.  And it doesn't affect them at all.