Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He runs the same Ryan D as Pettine. He just runs it like Pettine used to. More aggressive on obvious passing downs.

You won't see much change schematically, it'd look more like the 2018 defense, but with Z, Preston and Gary instead of a washed up Matthews and Perry. Pettine really started getting bland during the 2019 season for some reason.

Couple questions for yah, if you have the time.

Last year I heard Rex Ryan talk about Pettine.  Rex said he had no idea what Pettine was doing on defense.  I think he even said something like "That's not my defense."

Does Leonard run more of the old Rex style, or the bland Pettine crap.  I think you wrote once that Leonard lines his corners up way off, similar to Pettine.

I didn't think that Ryan did that.  But don't really know for sure

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Last year I heard Rex Ryan talk about Pettine.  Rex said he had no idea what Pettine was doing on defense.  I think he even said something like "That's not my defense."

Does Leonard run more of the old Rex style, or the bland Pettine crap.  I think you wrote once that Leonard lines his corners up way off, similar to Pettine.

This second one is mostly him breaking down players but you get a sense of who he is as a coach. Sounds a lot like LaFleur.

Edited by deathstar

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Jim Leonhard has had Ladarius Gunter quality CBs at UW. They recruit the hell out of ILBs and develop good EDGE and DL talent, but they get the leftovers after the ACC and SEC schools have their fill of the Southern states HS DBs. I see your reason for concern but not really fair to ask this question IMO, he's never ever had anything close to Jaire or KK. He plays them off at UW to hide them, doesn't mean he'd do the same with Jaire or KK.

His blitzing tendencies are much more in line with 2018 Pettine and classic Ryan. LIS, not sure what happened with Pettine there in 2019, perhaps he just had complete trust he'd get home with 4 and for the most part, we did, but you'd still like to go on the attack more.

• Like 1

Just reading up on some of the interview prospects.

I've soured on Matt Burke because as Miami's defensive coordinator he failed to get a very talented Miami defence to play well enough. He had the likes of Kiko Alonso, Cameron Wake, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Bobby McCain, Reshad Jones, Jerome Baker, Raekwon McMillan, Robert Quinn and Xavien Howard and he still could not get his defence to perform. They were ranked 29th in total defence. Yikes! If he can't do it with them what makes us think he can do it with our talented players?

Chris Kiffin was an intern for the same 2007 Tampa staff as Hackett, Morris, Bradley, Lake, Wash and Evero. He has 1 year coordinating experience in college but very raw in the NFL with just 1 year as a position coach. I don't think he will be seriously considered.

Ryan Nielsen is interesting but he doesn't have the varied resume one would like to see. Unlike Evero who has coached under various coordinators, Nielsen at NFL level only ever coached under Dennis Allen. Allen learned his stuff from Wade Phillips,  Ed Donatell and Gary Gibbs.

Bob Sutton was let go in the same manner as Pettine as he could not get his Kansas defence over the top and push on to win the superbowl, There's no way LaFleur is seriously considering hiring him, probably just wanted to pick his brain.

So far all the interview candidates have been somewhat underwhelming. Only Evero and Leonhard I would consider viable coordinator candidates. I would like to see him interview Chris Hewitt as he is from the Dean Pees coaching tree, the same coordinator LaFleur worked with at Tennessee. I also hope he will expand his search to include Tampa and Kansas coaches and I wonder if he will bring in any Patriots coaches for an interview?

Edited by Chili

I'm surprised Leonard would consider leaving Wisconsin for another DC position, even in the NFL. I thought he would go to a non-power five conference school as HC for a few years until Wisconsin opened up and take that HC job (Chryst path).

I'd be happy to see him come to GB as both a Badger and Packer fan. His time at UW is limited and I'd rather he go to another team I like. 

For those unfamiliar with him - He didn't turn around UW's defense, that was done by Dave Aranda (and continued by Wilcox). Leonard came after them, but built on what they did and made it better. He merged Rex's defensive philosophy with Aranda's "dictating" one and has had pretty good results. The strength of his defenses is the LB core (both OLB and MLB), but a lot of that has to do with Wisconsin not really getting 5 star athletes (specifically at the DB/DL positions). He makes lesser athletes very good by hiding the D's weaknesses and being aggressive. He also has a lot of energy, is creative,and seems like a defensive version of MLF.

I'd love to see him get a chance at a defense with Clark, Smiths, Gary, and the secondary.

Edited by BluePacker
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

I want:
Jim Leonhard
Ryan Nielsen

I guess:
Chris Harris
Chris Kiffin 

Do not want: 
Ejiro Evero
Matt Burke
Joe Barry
Jerry Gray
Bob Sutton

I have this feeling the Packers go through this "wide search" only to go with Gray. That would be the Packer-way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I have this feeling the Packers go through this "wide search" only to go with Gray. That would be the Packer-way. 

I'd like to see young new blood there.  Enough of the retread, retooled assistants .. get some aggressive, kick *** coach in there that can utilize his players to their best ability.

I'm looking at this one of two ways. On the one hand, I can see the argument for wanting a retread with experience because the Packers' window is NOW, meaning, we really don't want a new DC who needs time to "learn" how to be a DC, etc. That being said, the only "retread" I would be remotely interested in would be Wade Phillips and apparently, he's not being considered. Wade could come in and give you a solid 1-2 year run. But if the Packers aren't interested, I'd rather go big with a new, young, first time DC hire and swing for the fences, and those guys for me, are probably Leonhard or Nielson out of the group currently being considered. 

Edited by packfanfb