the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Depends on what those incentives were Likely To Be Earned or Unlikely To Be Earned.  If it's the former, it was a $10.6M deal.  IF they were unlikely, it's $13.6M.

They can also add void years if they want to. That would allow them to spread the signing bonus.

4 hours ago, Malfatron said:

nah, king is bostic and mac level for me.

wipe the slate clean and grab a better guy

Let Fuller pick off Dalton 4 times

remember when Fuller dropped that sure aaron INT. lets pay it forward.

Disagree on King. I think he can be had back for fair money we afford. Hopefully we draft a corner who can pass him up right away and we then have the best #3 CB in the NFL. Hated the way he played in the NFC championship game but he is an above average #2 CB. Don’t just throw that away if the money for him is acceptable.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Their FO knew their last shot was to pull off the Hail Mary trade for Wilson. Now they’ll have to hope for a rookie-QB miracle or be out of a job. 

They could offer some semblance of the Wilson trade to a team and select a QB in this draft. They'd have their talented / cheap QB of the future and in essence, put sand back in the hourglass.

Not saying they'll try to do this - or pull it off - but they could - and life would look a whole lot different for them.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Will Fuller is also suspended like 6 games.  NO way you sign him long term with that hanging over him

He has already served 5 games of the suspension and has just 1 left.

Signing him long term would be easier to swallow now that most of his suspension is out of the way.

My wish list from that is the following:

Cordella Patterson fills the extra RB/WR role and a great KR

There are plenty of tempting WRs like Reynolds, DJax and Tate but I prefer the guys we got and want to see them develop rather than getting someone in who is going to be taking snaps away and hopefully we get a reciever in the draft.

DaQuan Jones and/or Harrison for the DT, even getting one would be great

Onwusasor is a favourite of mine from when he as at Baltimore, would love to see him in Green and Gold

Would like to see Kevin King back and/or Quinton Dunbar.

That and a good draft and we are all set!!!

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You obviously have to take King's whole body of work into account.  He was bad against Tampa.  I don't think anyone would argue that.  It is also probably not fair to judge him on one game.  As a whole, he is an upper to mid tier #2 CB, and will probably miss a handful of games.  We could certainly do worse. Do we want to go with what we know, or start fresh and risk it?

All depends on the price.  It depends on his availability.  My take is he has the physical ability .. does he have the mental ability?  If he takes a cheap one or two year deal that's fine but draft a CB too. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Maybe Rodgers is reluctant to restructure his deal.

What makes you think that?

I thought the current theory was that the Packers FO wanted to retain the flexibility to cut Rodgers after next season, and Rodgers wants a deal that keeps him a Packer for life.

16 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

What makes you think that?

I thought the current theory was that the Packers FO wanted to retain the flexibility to cut Rodgers after next season, and Rodgers wants a deal that keeps him a Packer for life.

Based on nothing, just pure speculation.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, they can sign whoever they want.  But that also likely means you need to restructure Rodgers, which so far the Packers have been reluctant to do.

They really wouldn't have to do much though depending on whether they intend to also make other moves. Right now, we're about $3.5m under. Say the reports are correct and Adams is extended within the next few weeks, that's about $9m in cap relief there. Now we're at $12.5m. 

Then say they make the smallest move possible with Rodgers which would be a simple restructure of his roster bonus (which they'd have to do by today). His bonus is $6.8m so spread that out over the last 3 years of his deal = savings for 2021 of $4.5m. Now our cap is at $17m. 

Figure you need about $3m for the draft and another $5m to carry throughout the season. That drops you back down to $9m. 

What can we do with $9m? Well you could easily sign a bigger name CB like Fuller as long as it's a 3-4 year deal so you can backload it. Figure a $4-5m cap hit for Fuller for 2021. Still leaves you room, if you want, to probably resign Lewis and add a cheap OL or DL. 

Again, this all with just making the "smallest" move with 12's contract, which doesn't really impact the next two years other than simply adding about $2m more in dead cap if we move him. Small potatoes. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chili said:

This should be a picture showing a comprehensive list of available free agents but unfortunately it's showing up as a clickable link instead of a picture. at least that's the case for me.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwzvsRlXEAAZOu4?format=png&name=large

Still at least a few DL and CBs Gute can choose from. And he’ll get them cheap the longer he waits