Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

59 minutes ago, GW21 said:

"I'm told the work is done in Santa Clara. They have wrapped up their draft meetings officially. They're ready to make this pick, but it's in the hands of Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch. They're probably not telling anybody. Nobody in that building knows and doesn't expect to know until Thursday. But the coaches broke down Mac Jones, Justin Fields and Trey Lance this week together in a neutral process. I'm told they've kept an open mind with Justin Fields and Trey Lance winning them over. They had a good process, but there's still a decent amount of buzz league-wide about Mac Jones."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941121-49ers-rumors-sf-ready-to-make-pick-between-mac-jones-justin-fields-or-lance

I would also think the report that Fields had been dealing with seizures didn't help him out if it was a close race. Another reason for me to believe it's Jones or Lance

2 hours ago, GW21 said:

"I'm told the work is done in Santa Clara. They have wrapped up their draft meetings officially. They're ready to make this pick, but it's in the hands of Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch. They're probably not telling anybody. Nobody in that building knows and doesn't expect to know until Thursday. But the coaches broke down Mac Jones, Justin Fields and Trey Lance this week together in a neutral process. I'm told they've kept an open mind with Justin Fields and Trey Lance winning them over. They had a good process, but there's still a decent amount of buzz league-wide about Mac Jones."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941121-49ers-rumors-sf-ready-to-make-pick-between-mac-jones-justin-fields-or-lance

Ah yes, so it could be Fields....or Lance....or Jones.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would also think the report that Fields had been dealing with seizures didn't help him out if it was a close race. Another reason for me to believe it's Jones or Lance

It doesn’t really move the needle for me. Sounds like he’s got it under control with his medication and there have been players in the NFL that were able to manage it and go on to have successful careers. Fields is still my top choice at 3.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

There's legit reason to think that it's Jones. The more detailed reports are starting to trickle in and they are starting to back each other up. I think Fowler's reporting (and he's an awesomely reliable guy) backs up Silver's take. I still lean toward Lance / Fields, but I'm kind of expecting to be wrong lol 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's legit reason to think that it's Jones. The more detailed reports are starting to trickle in and they are starting to back each other up. I think Fowler's reporting (and he's an awesomely reliable guy) backs up Silver's take. I still lean toward Lance / Fields, but I'm kind of expecting to be wrong lol 

Right on lol it should be fun. I know the feeling you guys are having, it's like back in 2018 where Browns fans didn't know if it was going to be Darnold, Baker, Allen, ect until literally the pick was announced.

In this situation it feels like Lance is Baker, Fields is Darnold and Jones is Allen.

You guys are going to wind up with Lance per my extremely accurate predictor.

• Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Right on lol it should be fun. I know the feeling you guys are having, it's like back in 2018 where Browns fans didn't know if it was going to be Darnold, Baker, Allen, ect until literally the pick was announced.

In this situation it feels like Lance is Baker, Fields is Darnold and Jones is Allen.

You guys are going to wind up with Lance per my extremely accurate predictor.

@J-ALL-DAY advised us yesterday that Charles Robinson said that someone close to Shanny shouted "Shanny loves Trey Lance!" lol 

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I refuse to believe that a team would trade all of those draft resources if they weren’t 100% confident in who there were selecting. 

That was my stance initially, but a lot of people indicated after the fact that they hadn't. The reports were largely that they had 3 qbs, and I feel reasonably sure that the third QB they had in mind was Mac. In the end, I think that the decision was "informally" made when they made the trade but probably went through the process anyway. But I have a hard time thinking that anyone believes that Shanny, with full control, is going to be the type that goes back on his preference / opinion just because the others in the room disagree. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GW21 said:

Its almost like no one has any idea what is going on

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

LOL.

People shouldn't have been surprised about Baker being the pick at the time. Dorsey was on record prior to the draft saying how much he liked Baker. I thought the pick would ultimately be Darnold, but I wasn't surprised when Baker's name was announced.

I don't think Allen was ever really considered. I think it was down to Baker and Darnold.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

Its almost like no one has any idea what is going on

It seems like Shanny wants Mac and the personnel dept wants lance. So if you go Mac do you keep around those who are questioning the move? Also if Mac busts is that the end of Shanny's HC career in San Fran?

So at the end of it I think Mac is the pick even if everyone is questioning it as Shanny seems to be in control of this organization. I just think it was a lot to give up for a guy who was expecting to be the 4/5 qb in the draft. 

Here’s Peter King’s mock:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/26/2021-nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king/

3. San Francisco 49ers (from Miami via Houston)—Mac Jones, QB, Alabama

Hearing it’s a two-horse race with Trey Lance. Quite a few of the experts will faint if this pick happens, and then outrage will ensue, and how-could-they-pass-on-Fields-and-Lance hot takes will flood the earth. GM John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan—with contracts that run through 2024 and 2025, respectively—do not care. They have not cared about public sentiment since taking these jobs, and this is their fifth draft. In their first, 2017, I was in the room as it happened, and these were the top three players on the board: 1 Myles Garrett, 2 Solomon Thomas, 3 Reuben Foster. With the third pick, they were sure to get one of those. But Foster? Really? No one had him that high. Lynch: “Had Solomon been gone, we’d have taken Foster. And been happy.” My point: Shanahan and Lynch won’t care what order the draftniks have the quarterbacks, or any position.

Shanahan believes Jones is the accurate coach-on-the-field type he craves. As one coach in QB-prospecting mode told me this spring: “Jones has elite NFL traits. He’s a natural thrower, is technically very sound, very accurate and throws a catchable ball. His base and mechanics are excellent.” He’s not the athlete a Lance or Fields is, but he doesn’t have feet of stone. I’ll be fascinated—we all will—if Jones is the pick. And I can see it happening.