Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

So just wanted to reign in on this...

I don't think Rodgers was happy Gutekunst traded up to draft a QB without discussing it. He wants to know where he stands long term and that's fair. It seems he is privately pushing an ultimatum that Green Bay either commit to him long term via an extension or trade him to his new long term home. There IS supposed to be a level of professionalism from players to honor their contract. But the human side of this dictates Rodgers' opinion is as important as anyones in Green Bay. Its the nature of the position, and when you are a three time MVP you should extremely privately have a strong relationship with the GM on personel decisions. 

For multiple reason, the Packers front office has been hesitant to hand out a new contract that would effectively ensure Jordan Love never takes a snap Rodgers is healthy for. I have no doubt they aren't excited about the salary cap implications of a new contract, or the idea of telling Jordan Love he has 100% of the preseason snaps to get himself traded. People forgot with last years legendary season that Rodgers does have an extensive injury history, and if you turn your back on Love now, there is no plan B. The front office, including Murphy, would be putting their jobs on the line betting on Rodgers. And there is not a great list of QBs post 40.

Gutekunst and Rodgers should have been communicating better somewhere along the line. This isn't like Favre where he retired or talked about it for offseason prior. If Rodgers was telling them prior to this contract that this was probably his last contract then the Love pick should be no problem for him. If he was thinking longer then Gute should've waited for the year or two before he was ready to be done. You can't even trust the agent in this situation because Love has the same agent.

Packers should increase his pay this year to compensate for being able to commit to him for 2022 via a signing bonus that opens up cap space. Makes both sides look like winners.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

sometimes players play well on good teams that set them up for success.  Sometimes great players play just good or ok for multiple years, then have further great or amazing seasons.

Giving some sort of credit to Gute for Rodgers' season for drafting Love is cute and was funny for the first 30 mins after the pick, but it's a ridiculous argument.

All the more motivation for him to remain the team leader who brings everyone back laser focused on next season for even greater success.  We lost by 1 score to the better team who went on to smack the life out of the Chiefs (and who's to say we beat them???) and win it all. It sucked but hey let's get back to work.  Instead we have this mess.  

He's had a chip on his shoulder the size of the Golden Nugget ever since teams passed on him in the Draft.  We've heard about it endlessly over the years.  Yet it's somehow ludicrous that his perceived slight of GB drafting Love can't also be another chip that motivated him?  It's not the sole reason for his return to MVP caliber play but his pettiness is legendary.  

Gute certainly didn't draft Love to motivate Rodgers.  If Rodgers needed that kind of motivation to spark him in the first place, he should be gone anyway.  And if any GM drafted a player to motivate a player, they should be fired too.

20 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

A juicer that isn't even that good. I never understood this fascination with Will Fuller.

Ask Gute, he's the one that tried to trade for him and sign him to a long-term deal.

Fuller had an 86.6 pff grade last year. That's way better than "good". For comparison: Thielen (87.4), Diggs (89.4) and JJefferson (90.4). Fuller had as many TD's as Diggs in less than half the targets. He's in a different league than anyone GB has outside of Adams. Availability is literally his only ding. He'd have been a perfect #2 in GB. 

1 hour ago, Les Punting said:

Thanks for the tip but regardless of who you think are the #2/#3 WR's in PIT, it's not even close. Smith-Schuster (2.3%), Claypool (5.5%), Johnson (9.0%).

Johnson had a 13.7% drop rate, not 9% and he was their #2. Steelers catch rate, as a team, was 65.6%, meanwhile the Packers were above 74%. Simple fact is, Rodgers had more reliable targets than Ben did. 

I'm laughing at the stretches being made for Aaron. LIS before, you don't have a 70% completion% and 48 TDs with unreliable targets. MLF's scheme gave him some of the easiest throws you'll ever see. 

The point is and always has been, you don't need to invest heavily in a WR2 in this system. There's literally no need. The 2020 offense proved it. Yet, here we are, after posting the league's #1 offense and Aaron not getting over the hump himself using the WR2 as a crutch lol.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

sometimes players play well on good teams that set them up for success.  Sometimes great players play just good or ok for multiple years, then have further great or amazing seasons.

Giving some sort of credit to Gute for Rodgers' season for drafting Love is cute and was funny for the first 30 mins after the pick, but it's a ridiculous argument.

You're free to believe what you want. But me, knowing that Rodgers is the sensitive, grudgy, always has a chip on the shoulder type of person... yeah, I'm going to believe the Love pick absolutely had something to do with the drastic turn around in his play and especially his attitude

I kind of feel like a hell of a lot of cold water was dumped on this whole story today.  John Kuhn and James Jones basically said this can all be worked out and seemed to expect Aaron to wind up back in GB  before the start of the season.  

I'm not sure what's up with Schefter ... Figuring that he is covering for a source.  I think the negative public opinion out there has caused Rodgers and his folks to dial everything back.  James Jones was saying the wanting Gute fired stuff is BS.  I almost get the idea that this could all end very soon.  I guess we shall see. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeresAGuy said:

If this is much ado about nothing, ESPN better fire him as of two weeks ago if they want to be taken seriously ever again.  Schefter better be polishing the ole Wal Mart Greeter Resume up.

F*** Woj because of Bogdan last year.

Now we can add F*** Schefter to that list as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les Punting said:

Ask Gute, he's the one that tried to trade for him and sign him to a long-term deal.

Fuller had an 86.6 pff grade last year. That's way better than "good". For comparison: Thielen (87.4), Diggs (89.4) and JJefferson (90.4). Fuller had as many TD's as Diggs in less than half the targets. He's in a different league than anyone GB has outside of Adams. Availability is literally his only ding. He'd have been a perfect #2 in GB. 

He was also on performance enhancing drugs when he got those numbers. 

58 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Johnson had a 13.7% drop rate, not 9% and he was their #2. Steelers catch rate, as a team, was 65.6%, meanwhile the Packers were above 74%. Simple fact is, Rodgers had more reliable targets than Ben did. 

I'm laughing at the stretches being made for Aaron. LIS before, you don't have a 70% completion% and 48 TDs with unreliable targets. MLF's scheme gave him some of the easiest throws you'll ever see. 

The point is and always has been, you don't need to invest heavily in a WR2 in this system. There's literally no need. The 2020 offense proved it. Yet, here we are, after posting the league's #1 offense and Aaron not getting over the hump himself using the WR2 as a crutch lol.

Pro Football Reference has different numbers. You're not automatically right on Johnson because you use a different source. Also, based on targets Johnson was  #1 (9/gm), S-S #2 (8/gm) and Claypool #3 (7/gm). Even with Johnson as WR2 and Claypool as WR3 they still had a better drop% than MVS/Lazard. What drop% does your source have for MVS and Lazard? 

Nothing whatsoever was said about catch rates. Or team catch rates. Drop % is a completely different measure, so that's a red herring. It was about GB's high WR2 drop% and the need for a better player in that role. 

The 2020 offense proved there's no need to invest in WR2? Then I presume you think Gutes pursuit of S-S this offseason was a big mistake? 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I kind of feel like a hell of a lot of cold water was dumped on this whole story today.  John Kuhn and James Jones basically said this can all be worked out and seemed to expect Aaron to wind up back in GB  before the start of the season.  

I'm not sure what's up with Schefter ... Figuring that he is covering for a source.  I think the negative public opinion out there has caused Rodgers and his folks to dial everything back.  James Jones was saying the wanting Gute fired stuff is BS.  I almost get the idea that this could all end very soon.  I guess we shall see. 

I predicted about 78 pages ago that it would be sorted by page 200 of this thread.  Should’ve known better, lol.

That being said, let’s hope more actual “facts” come forward in the coming days and hope the outcome - whatever that looks like - is in the best interest of the team.

Edited by Sasquatch