Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

33 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't see how "go all in to win the championship" can be reconciled with "pay your highly paid QB even more money."

It's called a compromise .. you throw some dough at him to bring his contract up to current standard and he gives you void years to spread it out.  We'll eventually be going to a QB on a rookie deal in the future years where some of that dough will be pushed.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We'll eventually be going to a QB on a rookie deal in the future years where some of that dough will be pushed.

Not quite. It'd be one year of a rookie deal, then the 5th year option. You'd have to work out a reasonable extension with Love before he ever starts a game to keep his hit down as well. We did it with Rodgers so we've got the blue print, it's just whether or not we're going to be in the same position with Love that we were with Aaron. Of course, if we feel we're not, we move on from Love and go the inevitable rookie QB route.

On the other hand, we go with the Super Bowl caliber veteran laden team with Love on a rookie contract now and top off the team with the pieces we acquire from dealing an MVP quarterback.

It's just a risk either way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's called a compromise .. you throw some dough at him to bring his contract up to current standard and he gives you void years to spread it out.  We'll eventually be going to a QB on a rookie deal in the future years where some of that dough will be pushed.

Yah not interested.  He's under contract really think the Packers should not give him a raise.  Especially after the stunt he pulled on draft day.  Move money around and give him 2 years of security but not a raise.  As far as I would go.  At this point I really hope they sell high.  Some of these trade scenarios are very attractive.  Move him and prepare for the future.  Yes we'll probably be a 500 team next year.  A sacrifice we should be willing to make.  3 1st round picks could be the basis of another long term run.  Get a player or two thrown in.  Seriously doubt Rodgers will ever achieve what he did last season.  He'll regress especially if his heart isn't in it.  He poisoned the well.  Time to move on.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The point of having a QB on a rookie deal is supposed to be you have an advantage with cheap starter at QB. Kind of eliminates that if you are paying your previous QB 30m in dead cap hits.

I'm fine with committing to Rodgers. I like watching a team that competes every year - we might not compete for a long time if Love doesn't hit. But if we commit to him then you scrap the Love project (or just accept he is just a backup) and draft a new QB in a few years.

29 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

The point of having a QB on a rookie deal is supposed to be you have an advantage with cheap starter at QB. Kind of eliminates that if you are paying your previous QB 30m in dead cap hits.

I'm fine with committing to Rodgers. I like watching a team that competes every year - we might not compete for a long time if Love doesn't hit. But if we commit to him then you scrap the Love project (or just accept he is just a backup) and draft a new QB in a few years.

It would suck for Love but we have time. Love can try to force a trade but we have him for 5 years if we want. I see it both ways. If we can to commit another year to AR fine, but we don't have to toss Love as a result. Could trade him if a trade was worth while but if he pans out man that would hurt. So i myself would keep them both who cares. Why not. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

It would suck for Love but we have time. Love can try to force a trade but we have him for 5 years if we want. I see it both ways. If we can to commit another year to AR fine, but we don't have to toss Love as a result. Could trade him if a trade was worth while but if he pans out man that would hurt. So i myself would keep them both who cares. Why not. 

And if we were to trade Love, then we look to Denver and ship him for either Tim Patrick or Courtland Sutton with picks being swapped. 

Not that I'm advocating that, but if Love tried to force a trade.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

And if we were to trade Love, then we look to Denver and ship him for either Tim Patrick or Courtland Sutton with picks being swapped. 

Not that I'm advocating that, but if Love tried to force a trade.

If Denver was willing to give up that for Love does that sitll make him a possible 3rd rounder:)

If we believe the reports that Rodgers doesn’t care about the money then this is all about term.

Which I think that’s the issue. GB has all the leverage. Literally they can drop Rodgers whenever they want to. Rodgers camp , allegedly, in the media is talking about respect etc etc. I think it’s all about I don’t want to be a year to year topic. I want to know I’m the guy for the next 2-3 years.

So he can focus on that and not the next move.

He wants term. Which I think depending on the exact term he wants... can be very easy. Give him two more guarantee years. This and next. Jordan takes over in year four.

In year four they will figure out if they need to do that 5th year... which is likely regardless. And if Love is a train wreck... in his fifth year they draft a QB high because they likely have a top ten pick.

4 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't see how "go all in to win the championship" can be reconciled with "pay your highly paid QB even more money."

Then you're not paying attention to the Bucs & Chiefs.

9 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Then you're not paying attention to the Bucs & Chiefs.

Mahomes is 25, can't compare the situation to Rodgers, we can't give Aaron a 10 year deal to spread things around.

The Bucs have pushed out 24m in void money for Brady, they'll owe to that their cap when he retires, we definitely could do this but it's clearly not the way Russ Ball operates.