Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

No matter what kind of activism people take for equality/social justice/whatever,  the vast majority of people will continue to stick to their tribes.  

Why is that?  Because it’s natural and most people don’t have a problem with figuring out who they are.  

White people still marry white people. Black people still marry black people.  

The only thing that has changed is that our society will collectively say “it’s ok” but they know that they wouldn’t do the same.  For those that feel they have to integrate into a group that isn’t their own are going to experience the underlying tones that they do not fit in.  

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

trying to give benefit of the doubt and be charitable until i have reason not to. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

LGBTQ people have been denied fundamental rights, kept out of positions of power, and persecuted. 

What fundamental rights are LGBTQ people been denied and how are they kept out of positions of power? 

Edited by dtait93

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Lol.

You’ve been accused hundreds of times? 

And you never once thought maybe you were the problem?

Sure I have. I've had tens of thousands of posts across different forums for close to two decades. There will obviously be miscommunications, especially when dealing with topics that get people emotional. I certainly didn't start off as a polished poster at age 12. I've had to improve and grow. I still do. I've tried adapting how I communicate to improve that. I self-reflect all the time. I'm open to changing my mind. How about you?

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's weird, I don't think I've ever been accused of arguing in bad faith. I've been accused of being wrong a lot, and I've been wrong a lot more than that. But I don't think anyone has ever been so frustrated by the logic and how I presented it that they were left with no other conclusion that I'm lying.

Of course, this is all giving people the benefit of the doubt. When thousands of people spout "I'm indifferent" on twitter, people know what that is and what it means. Even if someone meant it sincerely, they'd correct when they realized that they inadvertently spouted a dog whistle.

Considering by your own admission later that this isn't true...that would make this argument in bad faith. See how easy that was? It doesn't matter if I'm right or not, the claim was made. Thank you for proving my point.

As you have demonstrated a textbook example of my point, I have no need to continue. I've derailed this thread enough.

Congrats to Carl, I hope this allows others to feel comfortable to follow in his footsteps.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

Just now, Bullet Club said:

Considering by your own admission later that this isn't true...that would make this argument in bad faith. See how easy that was? It doesn't matter if I'm right or not, the claim was made. Thank you for proving my point.

Arguing something in bad faith is arguing something you literally don't believe to be true. I couldn't think of any time when I was arguing in bad faith over important issues, which is what I clarified later.

That's not bad faith. I was wrong. That happens alot.

Just now, candyman93 said:

I used to be cynical when companies would do stuff like this, because it’s purely a PR thing.

The glass half full version of this is that we only get bland corporate PR nonsense when enough of the population agrees with them to make it profitable. It's evidence of real people changing their minds.

15 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

What fundamental rights have LGBTQ people been denied and how are they kept out of positions of power? 

aside from just general social acceptance (which i understand is not a legal right)... we can look at the long fight for marriage equality. wasn't that long ago that same sex intercourse was actually banned in some states. and even now adoption agencies are allowed to discriminate. while states arent allowed to outright ban them anymore, many states still allow private/religious agencies to discriminate prospective adoptive parents.

that's a huge deal for any couple that wants kids.

as for positions of power, it largely comes down to the social stigma. we've seen plenty of people in office get "embarrassingly outed" as gay, but they'd never dare openly run as gay. that has been changing recently, admittedly, but its been a long time coming

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of this. I'm just pointing out that we live in a culture that deems it hate speech if something mean is said to LGBTQIA people, but it's just life if something mean is said to a christian. To me that says the tide is shifting.

I guess you talking about Twitter and social media or whatever? I mean religion has been a protected class in the eyes of the law since AT least the 1964 Civil Rights Act. It took til 2020 for the Supreme Court to rule LGBTQIA are protected. And even then the status still shaky and under constant threat by state legislatures. 

And of course society is going to naturally be protective of a group of people historically attacked for existing and forced to deny their own existence. I mean, Same Sex Intercourse was still ILLEGAL in at least 14 states until 2003. Pretty much ALL barriers to LGBTQIA rights and equality are coming from the religious entities in this country. Being mean to the powers that be and gatekeepers is not the same as attacking historically discriminated groups of people. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of this. I'm just pointing out that we live in a culture that deems it hate speech if something mean is said to LGBTQIA people, but it's just life if something mean is said to a christian. To me that says the tide is shifting.

Because when someone says something mean to a Christian, it's normally because they were being a jerk to begin with and so they deserved to have something mean said to them for being a jerk.