Jon Gruden resigns

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Dr LBC said:

As an X's and O's guy, I agree.  The scenario I'm envisioning though is that in order to prise Riley (or any mega-coach in college football) away to a perennially unstable NFL franchise (where there's no guarantee you're going to get more than 1 bite at the NFL apple), I have to imagine that things like complete personnel control, etc. will be put on the table.  And while Riley's not a poor evaluator of talent by any definition, a pro head coach (particularly one also handling the crux of the personnel decisions) needs a staff that knows how to function within the pro game - which has arguably been one of Urban's biggest pitfalls thus far in Jacksonville.  There's a big stretch from "I command your respect because I literally can pull your scholarship at any time if I so will it" and "You have a contract and, 'yes,' I can cut you but there are repercussions (cap-penalties, etc.) that come with that which create restrictions on what I can do."

I think it's worth the risk for him or Ryan Day. Urban Meyer? Not so much.

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The next two years we’ll be rebuilding, and getting pounded out by Mahomes, Herbert, and Rodgers 2x a year, but things are finally looking up (depending on Mark’s hires of course). 

You gonna get Rodgers. Especially if you end up with a top pick.

7 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

It absolutely is. They are leaked emails from a decade ago. 

True a full decade ago, I mean back when Brady was winning Super Bowls, Belichick was coaching the Patriots and Sean Payton was coaching the Saints 

the good old days

Edited by Dome
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

As for Gruden he saved face by resigning if not he just flat out got fired which I highly doubt it. He probably will just go back to ESPN to the MNF booth and doing Gruden Camp on the NFL draft prospects acting like nothing ever happened. It’s a very bad look on him and I know I won’t ever look at him the same. 

Highly doubt ESPN or any major network hires him.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dome said:

True a full decade ago, I mean back when Brady was winning Super Bowls, Belichick was coaching the Patriots and Sean Payton was coaching the Saints 

the good old days

*Losing Super Bowls

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

You gonna get Rodgers. Especially if you end up with a top pick.

I hope we get Rodgers. But IMO Denvers offense and defense is way more appealing. Their roster is very very sneaky good outside of QB. 

However, a new stadium, new Offensive HC, Darren Waller, and Henry Ruggs might have Rodgers interested in us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Just when people thought the Raiders were taking steps forward they took more steps backwards.

The crazy thing is before they hired Gruden and gave him the sky, sun, moon, and the stars they should’ve done extensive research on him. All of this is coming out now and nobody in the organization never knew about it before they hired him. That’s why the Raiders are a poor franchise now. That’s why they haven’t been relevant in decades. 

As for Gruden he saved face by resigning if not he just flat out got fired which I highly doubt it. He probably will just go back to ESPN to the MNF booth and doing Gruden Camp on the NFL draft prospects acting like nothing ever happened. It’s a very bad look on him and I know I won’t ever look at him the same. 

Zero chance he can do that now IMO. Who in the world would want him representing their organization at this point?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I hope we get Rodgers. But IMO Denvers offense and defense is way more appealing. Their roster is very very sneaky good outside of QB. 

However, a new stadium, new Offensive HC, Darren Waller, and Henry Ruggs might have Rodgers interested in us. 

Can y’all afford Davante Adams too? That might do it 

Damn, gotta feel for Derek Carr, finally they have a decent team put together and now they will probably have to start over, most likely Mayock is gone as well after the season if not now. Hopefully whatever coordinator takes over can still lead them to the playoffs and show that their capable of coaching this team, that way they won’t have to start over from the beginning. 

• Like 1