Jaguars fall back to Doug Pederson for HC

Apparition

Just now, Dome said:

You could do a lot worse than Pederson IMO

not the outcome I would imagine most, if any, jags fans wanted, but this isn’t a calamity 

Pretty widely viewed as a top 3 candidate along with Caldwell and Byron by most I think.

This organization has been a dumpster fire for over a decade now. Most liked the idea of someone with HC experience (that actually had success) this go around, especially post Meyer. 

• Like 2

Just now, pwny said:

There’s an argument to be made that the reason Tua hasn’t developed is because of his handling of the OCs he’s brought in. So I don’t think it’s that cut and dry that he’d fix the issues to allow Trevor to flourish.

I like Flores a ton, but he's definitely not the coach you want to bring in to nurse offensive talent lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

You could do a lot worse than Pederson IMO

not the outcome I would imagine most, if any, jags fans wanted, but this isn’t a calamity 

Doug was my #1. In a vacuum, I might have preferred Leftwich, but he’s my dude and I am scared of him being put into this dysfunctional mess. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, pwny said:

There’s an argument to be made that the reason Tua hasn’t developed is because of his handling of the OCs he’s brought in. So I don’t think it’s that cut and dry that he’d fix the issues to allow Trevor to flourish.

Thats true too. We shall see though how Pederson will do with Lawrence. Thats the most important thing is his development. No matter who is the head coach if Lawrence doesnt fully develop to his potential then its a fail all around. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Former QB. SB winner. Best option there was for Trevor Lawrence, outside of maybe Kellen Moore. Be interesting to see what staff he puts together.
Jim Schwartz DC? 
DeFilippo OC?
Does he try to steal Stoutland?
McCown OC?

No, no one is allowed to take Schwartz from us, sorry.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:10 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Could you elaborate and give some information about Doug and his tenure in Philly?

On 1/31/2022 at 6:34 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Sure.

Doug is a great guy and players love him. He follows in Reid's footsteps as being a players coach.

However, he really didn't have a ton of connections, so I'm sure Roseman had to help him build out his staff.

Both him and Sirianni were lucky to inherit Jeff Stoutland from Chip Kelly's staff who is one of the best position coaches in the NFL. A lot of people try and take away almost all credit from Pederson regarding the SB and give it to Reich. I definitely wouldn't go that far, but it was blatantly obvious in the years after his departure that Reich had a huge hand in the scheme and game plans. Losing both him and DeFilippo who was the only QB coach here who gave Wentz some tougher coaching really hurt Doug in the following seasons.

When guys left Doug usually wanted to promote internally his guys even if it wasn't necessarily deserved. We moved Press Taylor into being QB coach after DeFilippo left and he didn't coach Carson hard and I think at that point Wentz was full of himself enough to where he wasn't gonna let Press who was barely older than him.

One of the biggest things he was criticized for in Philly was his inability to coach up his staff when they weren't getting results and the lack of development of younger players. He's a solid play caller, but his scheme wasn't always the most interesting and I don't feel like he adapted enough when things weren't going well. I guess if you can build the right staff around him and draft more players who don't need as much in the way of development I could get behind it, but it just wouldn't be a hiring that would make me super excited. He could still be a solid coach if he learned from past mistakes and now has a QB in Lawrence that actually takes to coaching and doesn't think he knows it all like a certain someone. As much as I wouldn't be a huge fan of Pederson to the Jags it would still be a hell of a lot better than Urban Meyer which was my least favorite HC hire last year mainly due to me disliking the person, but also knowing his style probably wouldn't fly with pros.

What I will say going back to the players coach thing is that his guys will always play hard for him and even in seasons that weren't going well like 2019 with all the injuries he still got guys to buy in and find a way to make the playoffs. At the end of the day he still won a SB with us, but I'm not sure that success was sustainable. That 2017 Eagles team was like a team of destiny. At the same time the Eagles teams that followed the SB might have been the most injured or at least bottom 5 for the next 3 seasons prior to his firing, so that should be taken into account before writing him off. 

This is where I stand for the most part. I don’t hate this hire and if the right guys are hired around him it could work out pretty well.

If they brought in Rich Bisaccia as ST coordinator and Vic Fangio (believe they brought him in?) as DC like someone on the Jags forum mentioned, then I could get a lot more behind this.

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

Nagy, Fip, Deuce, McCown, Caldwell would all make sense. He’s got the connections and I think he’ll put a fine staff together. 

Ooo, I’d love Deuce. 

I know he seems to have a poor reputation in PHI but I think Press Taylor has a legitimate shot too.

14 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Former QB. SB winner. Best option there was for Trevor Lawrence, outside of maybe Kellen Moore. Be interesting to see what staff he puts together.
Jim Schwartz DC? 
DeFilippo OC?
Does he try to steal Stoutland?
McCown OC?

I think Bienemy could've done great things there.