Jaguars fall back to Doug Pederson for HC

Apparition

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Former QB. SB winner. Best option there was for Trevor Lawrence, outside of maybe Kellen Moore. Be interesting to see what staff he puts together.
Jim Schwartz DC? 
DeFilippo OC?
Does he try to steal Stoutland?
McCown OC?

Yeah I mean, I think it’s a good hire. 

The staff will be interesting but I think he brings along Fip, Shorts and McCown (assuming he’s not Houston’s HC). 

This kind of feels to me like when the Raiders hired Del Rio. It had been many years of failed coaches, lack of talent, having a perception of being a total dumpster fire and once we drafted Mack and Carr and they showed in their rookie years there was something to build on, and transitioning into life after Al with the second HC hire after he passed Del Rio was brought in to be the guy that rights the ship, provides some leadership, stability, credibility. To be a steadying presence. Del Rio (like Pederson IMO) isnt/wasn't a great HC, but you can certainly do a lot worse. He can be the HC for a team for a handful of years and win 7-11 games a year depending on the situation, teams will play hard for him, he's been around the block etc. Pederson has the SB ring that does add something to his voice in a young locker room. 

After Myer and what the Jags have been for the last decade, I think they can and have done a lot worse. Is he the most inspiring hire? No. But he's a relatively safe one that can help lay the foundation, and when your foundation is Trevor Lawrence I believe it's a smart move to go with a safer approach. If they hired someone else and they just werent HC material at all it could get ugly and it could forever limit Lawrence and the Jags long term potential. 

This is a hire I think commonly works out in sports. It's the hiring of a guy that is a known "solid" HC when a team that has been abysmal for a while has a high profile "generational" talent drafted in their first year or two to kind of be the guy before the guy that takes you to that championship level. They seemed to have gone with the approach that Pederson can be the guy, and assemble a good enough staff to kind of help them take the step towards being competitive and improving in the next couple of years, and you hire him knowing if it goes down like that you may be looking for a new HC in 3-5 years that can get you over the hump into true super bowl contender, but I don't believe that is a bad approach when you're talking about a super young team coming off the Myer debacle, and in desperate need of just a certain level of maturity and respectability. 

The only pause I really have with being confident in Pederson being a quality higher like what I am describing is Balkee. I won't pretend to have extensive knowledge of everything that went down with him in SF with Harbaugh and so far in Jacksonville, but what I have read being more in touch with the NFL than the average fan, I can't say I have a ton of confidence in his ability, particularly when it comes to being a unified force working as a team with the coaching staff. I believe that is essential in any successful organization. I don't know about his talent when it comes to player evaluation, he may be very good. Those SF teams had a ton of talent. What I do know is that can end up being all for not if the GM and coaching staff can't get on the same page and work towards a common vision/goal. I have no idea of the relationship between Pederson and him or how well that will work, I am just saying I actually think the coaching hire is solid, if unspectacular, but it may not mean much if Trent is sabotaging what he's trying to build in the background. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1

Got one of my two favorite targets this season and kept Leftwich away from this train wreck.

About as good as one could hope for, when it comes to the results. But good lord did this just continue to shine a light on how dysfunctional Shad Khan is as an owner.

The Jags shouldve hired Brian Flores. I know he just filed suit but just strictly coaching wise I like him better. He is a great leader, the players respect him and if he can nearly lead the Dolphins to the playoffs twice with Tua and Fitzpatrick these past two seasons then Im confident he could do special things with Lawrence moving forward. 

Just now, stl4life07 said:

The Jags shouldve hired Brian Flores. I know he just filed suit but just strictly coaching wise I like him better. He is a great leader, the players respect him and if he can nearly lead the Dolphins to the playoffs twice with Tua and Fitzpatrick these past two seasons then Im confident he could do special things with Lawrence moving forward. 

There’s an argument to be made that the reason Tua hasn’t developed is because of his handling of the OCs he’s brought in. So I don’t think it’s that cut and dry that he’d fix the issues to allow Trevor to flourish.