49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Story not being talked about - 

We sure Jennings is WR3? I mean, his physical skill set and blocking acumen will keep him in a role, but I've heard little to no good things about him as a receiver this camp. 

It may be that there isn't a WR3 and more of a horses for courses approach behind Aiyuk and Deebo with the 4 and 5 having a more similar number of reps to the 3 since the difference in quality is more similar than it has been. RayRay gets more yac and route running opportunities. Jennings blocks and bodies. Gray ensures that there is some real bite in some vertical stems either on hard play action or on have to have them 3rd and longs. I know that there were these roles last year, but guys like Travis Benjamin and Mohamed Sanu were just so useless that you couldn't trust them to take even a reasonable number of snaps doing things that they were good at. And Jennings was at least good at the things he did well. We may have more of those guys and more of an ability to play around with the defense's mind in terms of regular personnel rotation.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JIllg said:

It may be that there isn't a WR3 and more of a horses for courses approach behind Aiyuk and Deebo with the 4 and 5 having a more similar number of reps to the 3 since the difference in quality is more similar than it has been. RayRay gets more yac and route running opportunities. Jennings blocks and bodies. Gray ensures that there is some real bite in some vertical stems either on hard play action or on have to have them 3rd and longs. I know that there were these roles last year, but guys like Travis Benjamin and Mohamed Sanu were just so useless that you couldn't trust them to take even a reasonable number of snaps doing things that they were good at. And Jennings was at least good at the things he did well. We may have more of those guys and more of an ability to play around with the defense's mind in terms of regular personnel rotation.

Agreed. I quite like the idea of just having a WR3 rotation to be honest. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm curious if his role diminish and it mixes a few guy in. Could allow Ray-Ray some time at slot, with Deebo playing some as well. Gives option to play Gray outside with 3 WR sets of Aiyuk, Deebo, and Gray. 

As a receiver, it doesn't really seem like he's taken charge Its obviously just camp, but I've heard a lot of good things (and seen some good in preseason now) about Ray Ray and Gray as receivers to go along with the negative stuff as receivers. I'm just not hearing a whole lot of the positive about Jennings the receiver. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

As a receiver, it doesn't really seem like he's taken charge Its obviously just camp, but I've heard a lot of good things (and seen some good in preseason now) about Ray Ray and Gray as receivers to go along with the negative stuff as receivers. I'm just not hearing a whole lot of the positive about Jennings the receiver. 

Yeah, exactly I feel the same way. Really won't know how it plays out until week 1. Could also be his skills vs our defense just doesn't allow him to separate and be successful. Something to watch vs Vikings on Wednesday and Thursday. 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

I know Charvarius Ward was talking Jennings up when camp first started. It'll be real interesting to see how it plays out. I know Shanahan also mentioned how he came into camp in much better shape this year than last year. 

I do agree that we'll probably see a rotation of some sort. I think Jennings is pretty much just a big slot and we'll see Gray outside mostly. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Story not being talked about - 

We sure Jennings is WR3? I mean, his physical skill set and blocking acumen will keep him in a role, but I've heard little to no good things about him as a receiver this camp. 

full platoon at WR3 is what i’m expecting 

• Like 1

I finally got to watch the condensed game online today (I watched it live but it was hard to track specific things). Here are some of my thoughts:

• Skule looked horrible in the run and the pass game. He was atrocious all game long and I'm pretty sure he got out of his stance early like 3 or 4 times. He's lucky he didn't get any false start penalties. 
  • I thought Banks looked pretty good. He was 1-on-1 a lot in pass pro and held up nicely most of the time. He missed a few blocks in the run game, but overall I thought he looked good. 
  • Burford was powerful in the run game and good enough in the pass game. 
  • Oren Burks was everywhere.
  • Turray was a beast in the run game
  • Jackson looked good on the edge. His bend and explosion are obvious
  • I like Purdy! He looked good to me
  • Like 3

I would say the other thing with Banks and Burford that stood out, is they’re mean, hit to the whistle dudes. idk if they’re good, but i don’t think we lack for identity on the line, which hasn’t always been the case.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John232 said:

I would say the other thing with Banks and Burford that stood out, is they’re mean, hit to the whistle dudes. idk if they’re good, but i don’t think we lack for identity on the line, which hasn’t always been the case.

I was thinking the same thing. Trent plus these two beefy bully types has the making of a powerful OL and is a solid counter to how defenses are getting smaller 

On 8/15/2022 at 7:52 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Ugh, two takeaways from this. Shanahan scared me with the Mac stuff. I didn't really buy into it last year before the draft but the scouting department absolutely talked Shanny out of Mac. I don't care if Lance flames out and does nothing. He was the correct pick, absolutely can not make the Mac pick for 3 first rounders. I am not one that advocates for firing very often and if Mac had been the pick... I might have.

Secondly, then going into the Marshall pick back in the day... wtf? He is definitely a man that goes with his convictions for better or for worse.

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Ugh, two takeaways from this. Shanahan scared me with the Mac stuff. I didn't really buy into it last year before the draft but the scouting department absolutely talked Shanny out of Mac. I don't care if Lance flames out and does nothing. He was the correct pick, absolutely can not make the Mac pick for 3 first rounders. I am not one that advocates for firing very often and if Mac had been the pick... I might have.

Secondly, then going into the Marshall pick back in the day... wtf? He is definitely a man that goes with his convictions for better or for worse.

Nah, I don't see anyone talking Shanny out of the Lance pick. Shanny even said that if the team didn't go to #3, there would have been no chance to get Lance. Liking Mac is fine since we saw last season he is a very competent QB and with Shanny drawing stuff open, he would have always had Mac having top 10 caliber seasons and enough to win a SB or two. But like he mentioned to Marshall, he knows that Lance has flaws but he kept thinking of what he can become and he couldn't pass up on him. Lance's issues are not processing as he is already good at that. That is BIG for Shanny but then it was just fine tuning a few things mechanically and Lance is still working on that. 

But we have seen so many misses in drafts with Shanny's convictions...especially when he has Lynch trade up for a offensive player lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, I don't see anyone talking Shanny out of the Lance pick. Shanny even said that if the team didn't go to #3, there would have been no chance to get Lance. Liking Mac is fine since we saw last season he is a very competent QB and with Shanny drawing stuff open, he would have always had Mac having top 10 caliber seasons and enough to win a SB or two. But like he mentioned to Marshall, he knows that Lance has flaws but he kept thinking of what he can become and he couldn't pass up on him. Lance's issues are not processing as he is already good at that. That is BIG for Shanny but then it was just fine tuning a few things mechanically and Lance is still working on that. 

But we have seen so many misses in drafts with Shanny's convictions...especially when he has Lynch trade up for a offensive player lol.

I don't remember the timeline but was it Kyle put the Trey Lance film on, liked what he saw. He then sent it to Lynch, Lynch liked it too then we moved up to 3?

Again, if no trade happened and we picked Mac at 12 then I would of been fine with it. 

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I don't remember the timeline but was it Kyle put the Trey Lance film on, liked what he saw. He then sent it to Lynch, Lynch liked it too then we moved up to 3?

Again, if no trade happened and we picked Mac at 12 then I would of been fine with it. 

For sure, Mac at 12 would have been a-ok. & maybe if we stay put, NE makes a jump to 10 or 11 to nab him. Who knows 😕

Whatever the case, I believe Lance is truly 100% who Kyle wanted in the end. Maybe it was Mac at first & he ultimately changed his mind at the cabin.. but no way do I see him abandoning Mac because of criticism from the fan base/media.

I was 100% on the Fields train, until OSU dropped this tweet right before the draft

When THAT was OSU's best example of Field's leadership/hype speech ability, I had a bad feeling he would plummet. Obviously not because of the tweet itself, but because NFL teams would have sussed that out long before... I will forever root for him but I don't see it working out for him in Chicago.