Watson and NFL settle on 11 game suspension, $5M fine

Forge

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Regardless of what Watson was on the field before.... 28 games missed is a LOT. I think it is safe to seriously doubt what kind of form he will show in his return late this year... and it is also fair to wonder if he will ever be the same player he once was.

His money is guaranteed, his public image literally can not be more tarnished, people who once held him as a hero now despise him.... Time will tell, but I do not think it is a guarantee Watson comes back and is a great QB again.

Playing in Ohio against Pittsburgh and Baltimore is a lot different than in a dome against Jacksonville.

I doubt he thrives in the AFC North 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Watson still insisting he did nothing wrong and Haslam's statement about "we believe in second chances" betray a really broken notion of how "earning forgiveness" works.

It's basically a three step process:
- you admit what you did was wrong and demonstrate that you understand how it was wrong.
- you approach the person you have wronged and do what you can to make it up to them.
- you try to demonstrate broadly that you have become a better person who isn't going to do the bad thing again.

Lawyers and PR people have mucked this all up.

Mina Kimes sums it up perfectly - the tone was set from the top:

It's all calculated PR, nothing more.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Go to the Browns forum and you won't see a ton of fans celebrating that we have Watson. Brownie man is one of the few who's truly happy about it, and he's just very loud about it.

For sure am. Idk the man or what he did or didn’t do. 

But I know he’s the best qb this franchise as ever had, and guys I do support like Chubb Myles and Ward are going to be in a much better position to win a SuperBowl with Deshaun than with whoever else we would’ve had. 

He was going to play again for somebody. As much as people are clowning the Browns I don’t think Arthur Blank or David Tepper would’ve handled it any better. The saints are literally own and ran by a woman in Gayle Benson and they were front in line for Watson. So I don’t wanna hear all this high and mighty bs like other teams didn’t want him. 

And it’s funny as loud as I am I’ve never got a thread locked. Check any thread it’s the Watson haters who get threads locked. All these “morale” people can’t even discuss a topic in a mature way.

This is football and I’ve never pretended to act like this is anything else. This is entertainment and if you want this sport to express the best of human morality you need to stop watching cause it ain’t that. 

• Like 1

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

I doubt it, with all of the hype this created I doubt anything new comes out. I guarantee they combed his every move for the last 10 years of his life 100 times over. If there was even an inkling of something it would have come out by now.

I would not be surprised if The NY Times is sitting on something big. That’s their MO - they drop a story, let the news cycle play out and then drop MORE.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

All I hope for when he returns is 6 games of him getting sacked/hit on every single play. Nothing less. Don't care if it's legal or not.

I think I’d rather he just be terrible, and for it to turn out that his secret to success was a thoroughly oiled anus. With that no longer in the mix, he’s simply another Browns QB. 

If that is not the case, then yes, injury will suffice. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

I think I’d rather he just be terrible, and for it to turn out that his secret to success was a thoroughly oiled anus. With that no longer in the mix, he’s simply another Browns QB. 

If that is not the case, then yes, injury will suffice. 

I'll allow both of these scenarios, honestly. It would be next-level hilarious if watson sucked and the Browns gave out the largest, most ridiculous and controversial contract in sports history just for the guy to be terrible.

• Like 4

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

People would rather Deshaun show fake humility and contrition than express how he truly feels (no matter how crazy y’all think he is to feel that way). 

I think a lot of people would rather not have him in the league, but hey what can you do. 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'll allow both of these scenarios, honestly. It would be next-level hilarious if watson sucked and the Browns gave out the largest, most ridiculous and controversial contract in sports history just for the guy to be terrible.

Week 13 gets injured, goes to IR, and comes back next year and completely bombs over the course of his entire career.  PLEASE make this happen.