Watson and NFL settle on 11 game suspension, $5M fine

Forge

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It’s a question of when - not if - he does it again, so sit tight. 

Mina Kimes posed a really good question on twitter- what if these 24 occurrences happened in smaller groups between discovery/punishment? Like, he did it twice, it was found out and he was punished, then he did it again 3 more times and punished, then 2 more and punished, and so on and so forth. That punishment would result in an enormous number of games, and after a certain point, there's no doubt in my mind he'd just be banned from the league. So why is he getting off with only 11 games now? Because he hid it so well for so long? If he was found out after each time he did this, would he only get just a half game suspension every time? Of course not.

It is interesting to think about.

• Like 5

As much as the NFL has pretended to care about the situation despite letting the trade go through, keeping him off any exempt list, etc, they are going to hype up that match up for profits. I expect the Browns to be about 5-6 when they play this game and the Texans not even that. It will still get really good viewership I would imagine though.

The season accrued and the return vs. Houston is extremely distasteful. The NFL walked this right up to the line to where they could do something to truly make it a punishment and then stopped short.

You cannot tell me that these coincidences weren't a calculated effort.

The inconsistent half-assing of discipline by the league makes me wish they would just drop suspensions entirely. This entire ordeal was a clown show for the public.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Are the Cleveland Browns that desperate to win?  Or create the perception of wanting to win?  They knew this was all coming and they wanted it?

Go ask Tiger Woods how this goes, and what he did was consensual but was still cheating on his wife...  His public persona was totally destroyed, he did have a tiny bit of success in his return and people wanted the old Tiger back and for him to succeed, but ultimately he was never the same after that and he is WAY more famous and popular than Deshaun Watson ever has been. 

What Watson has gone through is way worse in terms of the accusations and just his conduct in general, he has tons of money now sure but with that contract there is almost zero chance he will be a successful long term NFL QB after this.  Myles Garrett tried to kill someone with his helmet, sure people forgot about that pathetically, not sure anyone will forget about this but who knows, the former President can straight up break the law and no one seems to care at all so I guess if that is allowed....

Still Watson's soul will eat him alive, or he will drown it all in drugs or something....

This guy is going to be a good leader to a football team and lead them to wins?  How?  

Oh he could just be a sociopath and have it not affect him emotionally at all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Mina Kimes posed a really good question on twitter- what if these 24 occurrences happened in smaller groups between discovery/punishment? Like, he did it twice, it was found out and he was punished, then he did it again 3 more times and punished, then 2 more and punished, and so on and so forth. That punishment would result in an enormous number of games, and after a certain point, there's no doubt in my mind he'd just be banned from the league. So why is he getting off with only 11 games now? Because he hid it so well for so long? If he was found out after each time he did this, would he only get just a half game suspension every time? Of course not.

It is interesting to think about.

So much this. These is repeated and consistent behavior and should have been treated as such. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Remember when Cleveland fans were literally partying in the streets when you all traded for OBJ and you all said this exact same thing 😂😂😂

Go to the Browns forum and you won't see a ton of fans celebrating that we have Watson. Brownie man is one of the few who's truly happy about it, and he's just very loud about it.

• Like 10

Just now, DawgX said:

Go to the Browns forum and you won't see a ton of fans celebrating that we have Watson. Brownie man is one of the few who's truly happy about it, and he's just very loud about it.

Yeah that’s fair, definitely feel for those of you who don’t actually want him lol

• Like 1

People in the first few pages mention Jimmy G a few times, what about trading for Jordan Love? With Aaron extended perhaps Love could be moved, and give him a few weeks to learn behind Jacoby and if a couple losses pop up then turn to Love. A 8ish game showing would give the Browns a potential show case to turn a 3rd into a 2nd or late first something like that if he balls out.