Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

16 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Imagine trading AR at the end of last year , he wins another MVP and leads his new team to the SB. I don’t think anyone would be too happy. And I can only imagine what everyone would think if that happened and Jordan Love looked lost out there. 

Ken Ingalls of trade hindsight in the building!

• Like 1

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Imagine if we signed AR to a hideous deal and then watched him regress while failing to make the playoffs.  Real life. 

Always better to get rid of a guy a year to soon than a year too late.  Once they start talking about retirement they are already retiring.   There were plenty of warning signs.  

That’s nice. Sometimes the smart decision doesn’t always work out and the dumbest ones do. 

Christ, he was coming off two years where he threw 85 TDs and 9 Interceptions. You’re not trading that. 

It’s easy to say it now after seeing what happened this year, but it would’ve been malpractice not going for it again . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

That’s nice. Sometimes the smart decision doesn’t always work out and the dumbest ones do. 

Christ, he was coming off two years where he threw 85 TDs and 9 Interceptions. You’re not trading that. 

It’s easy to say it now after seeing what happened this year, but it would’ve been malpractice not going for it again . 

I said it last year after he played like crap again when it mattered .. in the playoffs!   This isn't revisionist history.   A lot of people wanted AR gone.  Especially so when rumors started coming out about Denver handing over a string of top picks.  Gute and Murphy blew it.  Then they doubled down and signed him to a terrible deal.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Not to mention I don't even think his skill level is the concern. They just know it's over sooner than later, they weren't happy with his approach after getting $$$, and they just want to move on and see what they have with Love. I don't think the Packers think Aaron is washed by any means. A lot went wrong last year. It wasn't like he just fell off a cliff. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I said it last year after he played like crap again when it mattered .. in the playoffs!   This isn't revisionist history.   A lot of people wanted AR gone.  Especially so when rumors started coming out about Denver handing over a string of top picks.  Gute and Murphy blew it.  Then they doubled down and signed him to a terrible deal.  

What does that matter? Again, just because it didn’t work out for us doesn't mean it wasn’t the right decision at the time. 

• Like 3

I totally thought running it back was reasonable and normal.  We'd had a good season and could have gone further last season, and that without Bakhti or Jenkins and with Myers messed up, and without Jaire.  And the defense had been good down the stretch.  

I thought trying to bring the team back with as few losses as possible made sense.  *IF* Bakhti and Jenkins came back, and *IF* Myers stepped up as talented smart 2nd-year guys often do, I thought we might have a WAY better o-line.  So I totally understand Gute wanting to take another shot at it.  The contract extension cleared up tons of cap room for last season, so enabled Gute to bring back Campbell and Rasul and Preston.  

I don't fault him at all for that decision.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

There were warning signs beyond the statline. You saw a great deal more passes in the flats or in screens than you did downfield, the lions share of the genuine forward passes succeeding because of Davante. You did see a decline in passes down the middle, and you did see a growing tunnel vision in his decision-making. You also saw a growing reluctance to run when when his legs weren't saddled with noted injuries, and all too many three-and-outs where he had the facial expression, if not the body posture, of somebody half-checked out on his way to the sidelines.

In a way, those two MVP awards were the worst thing that could've happened. Moving him after even one of them was a decision of such an extraordinary caliber that I doubt any GM in the NFL could've pulled the trigger on it. Ultimately, it led to last season and our current set of problems.

59 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Imagine trading AR at the end of last year , he wins another MVP and leads his new team to the SB. I don’t think anyone would be too happy. And I can only imagine what everyone would think if that happened and Jordan Love looked lost out there. 

In a world where DEN trades for Rodgers last year instead of Wilson. It's not hard to picture Rodgers having a very good year, while Love very likely would have struggled for GB.  I'd have been fine with it.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I said two weeks back (this is before many fans had come around to it) that I did not expect the Jets would agree to give up pick 13. I suggested back then that a 2nd this year and a conditional first (hinging on something like the Jets getting to the playoffs and/or Rodgers playing for them in 2024) or something lower if he plays only one year.

Now (the Jets having since acquired an extra 2nd round pick) I'd take two 2nds in 2023 or one in 2023 and another in 2024 with little to no conditions attached........not perfect, but not terrible either. Rodgers recent play + his contract + his age and musing on retirement make it difficult for any risk-averse management to give up more......and Rodgers does appear to want to move on.

If the Jets wanted a 2nd or 3rd round pick back from the Packers in 2025, if Rodgers retired after one year, the 2024 2nd the Packers get from the Jets becomes a 2024 1st. 

This way (as I see it), the Jets can call it a good deal as they keep their pick 13 and either still have a first a 2nd round pick in 2023, or they lose both 2nds but have nothing further to pay in 2024. The Packers get two extra good round 2 picks this year or something substantial next year. It just seems like something both sides can live with.

There may be some shenanigans around swapping picks 13 and 15, especially if the parties go the route of a 2nd in 2023 and a 2nd in 2024, but essentially I expect the deal to be similar to what I outlined. If you want to look back at earlier comments you can verify what I have said earlier.

For what it's worth .. we aren't that far apart on what compensation should be.  I just don't want Rodgers going to the Jets on a low ball offer.  I'd take a 2nd this year and a 1st next year with no strings attached or both 2nds this year.  I'd also do a 2nd this year, switching 1st rounders with them and a 2nd next year.  Regardless, something in those ranges is fine .. fair enough.  

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Rodgers breaks his collarbone week 1 and now the Jets owe us the #4 pick in the 2024 draft. Pick is going to have conditions. Come back to reality. 

Sooooo ... not our problem.  The concern was him playing 1 year and then retiring.  If he comes back and plays one snap the next year, the pick should count regardless without constraints.  Injuries happen but that wasn't the concern before .. if he comes back for more than 1 year was.      

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Well just start accepting now that you'll be dissapointed in the final compensation and it will make it easier when the day arrives. 

Maybe .. if everybody is disappointed with the return then Gute didn't do the Packers any favors.   A fair return should be expected from the Jets to get a qb they think will take them to the promised land.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Sooooo ... not our problem.  The concern was him playing 1 year and then retiring.  If he comes back and plays one snap the next year, the pick should count regardless without constraints.  Injuries happen but that wasn't the concern before .. if he comes back for more than 1 year was.      

You nailed it , the whole compensation thing comes from him retiring , if he plays and gets hurt that's on them ,no way should they get compensation. Quite frankly , you wanted him so bad , he us yours now . we didn't approach them or at least I don't think we did , they asked us to talk to him , they set the wheels in motion . Not asking for a Denver type haul , but we need something better for Rodgers than second and a bag of donuts with stipulations. 

I

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What does that matter? Again, just because it didn’t work out for us doesn't mean it wasn’t the right decision at the time. 

Gute should have had a better handle on his roster.  His best 2 OL were coming off injury.  His WR corp was too young and inexperienced to be a strong SB contender.  He still had Barry as DC.

The team proved it wasn't going to win a Sb after blowing it twice in their window.

He drafted Love with the plan to move on and then didn't have the stones to do the right thing when the time was right.  Instead of getting a Russell Wilson haul we are getting a couple 2nds maybe?  

He then doubled down and gave AR about the dumbest contract possible when he was already under contract.  This move kills the current value.

It was the wrong decision.   It should be obvious to everyone by now that it was the wrong decision.

• Like 1