Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

15 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Gute should have had a better handle on his roster.  His best 2 OL were coming off injury.  His WR corp was too young and inexperienced to be a strong SB contender.  He still had Barry as DC.

The team proved it wasn't going to win a Sb after blowing it twice in their window.

He drafted Love with the plan to move on and then didn't have the stones to do the right thing when the time was right.  Instead of getting a Russell Wilson haul we are getting a couple 2nds maybe?  

He then doubled down and gave AR about the dumbest contract possible when he was already under contract.  This move kills the current value.

It was the wrong decision.   It should be obvious to everyone by now that it was the wrong decision.

Turning down that massive haul was pretty bad but can give him a pass on that.  The contract though that was completely boneheaded and unnecessary.  Still not sure who exactly is to blame.  Murphy? Gute?  MLF?  Thinking Murphy and MLF but who knows.  It was horrid.  Gute has a strong pro personnel dept and had been above average at drafting.  He doesn't miss in the 1st round.  Ever.  Pretty damn good in the 2nd as well.  I am fine keeping him around he's a good GM but I'll never understand why in the hell they did that contract. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Turning down that massive haul was pretty bad but can give him a pass on that.  The contract though that was completely boneheaded and unnecessary.  Still not sure who exactly is to blame.  Murphy? Gute?  MLF?  Thinking Murphy and MLF but who knows.  It was horrid.  Gute has a strong pro personnel dept and had been above average at drafting.  He doesn't miss in the 1st round.  Ever.  Pretty damn good in the 2nd as well.  I am fine keeping him around he's a good GM but I'll never understand why in the hell they did that contract. 

He's been good early in his drafts and below average after the first 2 rounds.  There is hope from the 2022 draft, but not much in the other years. 

Last year had an odd first round but above average promise later.  Overall he is maybe average at drafting.   Average isn't good enough.  Especially when you blow the big issues like the AR contract last year.

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

Last year had an odd first round but above average promise later.

You won't be saying that next year. And f a gm who only hits on late round picks, that's not sustainable. If a gm consistently finds first and second round diamonds - that's a keeper. Look at Gary's and jaire's drafts not the first at their position, but damn near the best player.

Can't lose sight of the fact that at this time last year, they weren't feeling all that confident about Jordan Love either. I know we all want to believe that pro GMs and coaches all have this flawless sense of the future for the players they see everyday, but the reality is that their perceptions can swing on a game in late November just as they do for fans. Instead of looking at all of this as some massive confidence that Jordan Love is a surefire star in their minds, look at it as Rodgers is 39 years old, he clearly regressed last year, and since Love made some strides in the past 12 months, the difference between the two isn't so stark anymore. Especially when also weighing the added baggage that comes with Aaron Rodgers. I'm sure we'd all love to think this all played out exactly as they had mapped out, but it really didn't. There's still plenty of reason to be optimistic it all works out, but this isn't the culmination of a master plan that unfolded exactly as drawn up. If all had gone exactly as envisioned when Love was drafted, there's no way they hand out that contract to Rodgers just 12.5 months ago. In spite of all the bad that came with the good, they went deeper in with Aaron and turned their backs on an absolute haul, all while a clean break was there for the taking. That's how wide the gulf still was between the two QBs. Alas, fast forward a year and there's still a chance for all to fall into place. It will just be rooted in a little more luck that most would probably be comfortable with.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Pretty much.  There's no way you can trade a reigning MVP short of that MVP asking for a trade.

Didn’t he ask for one though?  Then we smoothed things over by giving him a kings ransom to show how much we wanted him. Then AR wonders if we really want him again this year. 

I told my son last year we should have traded him. Value never higher and talent was most likely not going to stay at that level. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Can't lose sight of the fact that at this time last year, they weren't feeling all that confident about Jordan Love either. I know we all want to believe that pro GMs and coaches all have this flawless sense of the future for the players they see everyday, but the reality is that their perceptions can swing on a game in late November just as they do for fans. Instead of looking at all of this as some massive confidence that Jordan Love is a surefire star in their minds, look at it as Rodgers is 39 years old, he clearly regressed last year, and since Love made some strides in the past 12 months, the difference between the two isn't so stark anymore. Especially when also weighing the added baggage that comes with Aaron Rodgers. I'm sure we'd all love to think this all played out exactly as they had mapped out, but it really didn't. There's still plenty of reason to be optimistic it all works out, but this isn't the culmination of a master plan that unfolded exactly as drawn up. If all had gone exactly as envisioned when Love was drafted, there's no way they hand out that contract to Rodgers just 12.5 months ago. In spite of all the bad that came with the good, they went deeper in with Aaron and turned their backs on an absolute haul, all while a clean break was there for the taking. That's how wide the gulf still was between the two QBs. Alas, fast forward a year and there's still a chance for all to fall into place. It will just be rooted in a little more luck that most would probably be comfortable with.

very much this. frankly, love was still having trouble throwing balls  in rhythm on target to the flat last preseason...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

very much this. frankly, love was still having trouble throwing balls  in rhythm on target to the flat last preseason...

Yep.  Love looked OK last pre-season if you squinted, but his play didn't exactly scream, "we need to trade Rodgers and let this guy take over"

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yep.  Love looked OK last pre-season if you squinted, but his play didn't exactly scream, "we need to trade Rodgers and let this guy take over"

iirc the mid range throws looked great and showed a lot of zip, especially the very scripted ones early in drives. plenty to believe he could be the guy, just wasn't it yet.

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Didn’t he ask for one though?  Then we smoothed things over by giving him a kings ransom to show how much we wanted him. Then AR wonders if we really want him again this year. 

I told my son last year we should have traded him. Value never higher and talent was most likely not going to stay at that level. 

Yeah .. with as bad as the Rodgers/Packers front office relationship had been they should have been looking for a way out instead of inking him to a stupid deal.  When Denver came calling the Packers should have been falling all over themselves to make a deal.  It doesn't even matter if Love wasn't quite ready yet ... Time to learn on the field instead of holding a clipboard again.  He'd now have a season under his belt and the Packers would have a lot of answers, plus perhaps a couple top 10 picks to help fix this thing for the next decade.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1