The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

17 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Any cold weather team who looks at carr seriously is ignoring facts, I like DC and think he’s a good QB. With his faults, one of which is his horrible track record in cold weather. If they ignore that, they’re setting themselves up for disappointment. Plain n simple. 

I actually think DC could learn to play in cold weather if he played there regularly. The problem is that he only plays in 1-2 cold weather games a year dating back to college so never got the opportunity to get used to it.

Jim Kelly went from Miami University to Buffalo, Brett Favre from Southern Miss to Green Bay, and Aaron Rodgers from Cal to Green Bay. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 3:37 AM, big_palooka said:

Pretty clear to me that it will be someone who know McDaniels offense. Brady or Jimmy G, followed by Stidham. 

I think they can win with any of those guys if they can get the defense to average. 

Naw that mobility is key statues will get killed behind this oline. Arguably our best oline kolt got pushed into the qb for a game killing int. I’d rather ride with stiddy. He knows the system and has a year of chemistry with the guys 

On 1/3/2023 at 11:37 AM, big_palooka said:

Pretty clear to me that it will be someone who know McDaniels offense. Brady or Jimmy G, followed by Stidham. 

I think they can win with any of those guys if they can get the defense to average. 

It's obviously too early to say definitively on Stidham but to be honest I just don't see why you'd consider Jimmy G. He's a barely average QB with no upside at all. Everyone knows what he can and can't do whilst Stidham showed at least some flashes. If Stidham looks OK against KC then I'd much prefer to roll with him and gamble on his upside rather than bring in a probably more expensive Garoppolo who just isn't very good at all. He's basically a poor man's Carr!

I can see why you'd go with Brady as you'd hope he has at least one good year left and he probably can hold off father time for one more season so you can hope to win with him and give you a genuine shot at the playoffs. I can see the option of Brady, staying with Stidham or trying to draft a rookie with a lot of upside. But even then, if you're after a stop gap whilst the rookie sits and learns, why not give Stidham a shot.........most of the stop-gap QBs are known quantities and only average to below average with very little upside. This is of course pending Stidham at least looking average against KC. He's looked decent in pre-season and actually good in his one start.

Also, this is an interesting vid from the Tape Don't Lie boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztuTLtY6K0g

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Naw that mobility is key statues will get killed behind this oline. Arguably our best oline kolt got pushed into the qb for a game killing int. I’d rather ride with stiddy. He knows the system and has a year of chemistry with the guys 

This Oline, sure. But what about next years Oline? It will no doubt be overhauled. 

I think Brady Retires.  I think Stidham is a back up.  I think our options are Jimmy G or Brissett and draft a QB to sit for a year. With either of those two and some improvements to both sides of the ball we can still win a few games while building for the future. McDaniels knows he has to win 9 games next year to keep his job.  Can't do that with a rookie. 

The long shot but completely possible option that I don't even want to speculate about because it would be too good to be true... Aaron Rodgers.  He still has a few good years in him and he won't be back in GB. 

But most realistically, we end up with Brissett or Jimmy G and bring along a rookie for a year.

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This Oline, sure. But what about next years Oline? It will no doubt be overhauled. 

Meh they gush over guys like elu and bars. I think most focus will be on defense. I’d almost be willing to bet elu is resigned and our starting rt next year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh they gush over guys like elu and bars. I think most focus will be on defense. I’d almost be willing to bet elu is resigned and our starting rt next year. 

He's a serviceable RT. Hasn't given up a sack since week 2. Let him and Munford compete. 

The bigger issue is the interior. Agree on the defense though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He's a serviceable RT. Hasn't given up a sack since week 2. Let him and Munford compete. 

The bigger issue is the interior. Agree on the defense though. 

Sacks given up stat is cool but doesn’t tell the whole story. Iirc in Tampa they drafted whirfs. Brady gonna require a better oline 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SodakRaiders said:

The long shot but completely possible option that I don't even want to speculate about because it would be too good to be true... Aaron Rodgers.  He still has a few good years in him and he won't be back in GB. 

He seems a lot more positive about his situation in GB now that they’ve started winning again, and that contract would be very tough for teams to absorb.

I can’t see a way where Rodgers isn’t back with the Packers next year unless he retires. But if he does he’ll be leaving a ton of cash at the table.

How do you watch the 2 breakdowns of Carr and Stidham and not get excited about next season? And a little bummed it took this long to see the offense.

Its the little things that make the biggest difference. Look at how he climbs the pocket, breaks out, keeps his eyes down field, and hits guys in stride. How many Carr throws have the receiver WIDE OPEN falling down making the catch. Stidham takes monster hits and delivers. Plays without fear. Extends plays. The 2 picks are unfortunate. He forced that last play, probably a little too hyped going into OT with the momentum.

All of a sudden, our studs look amazing. The play designs and calls catch the defense off guard. How many people want to keep Waller now? With that said, its 1 game and understandably that's certainly not enough time to make any long term judgement. Big week for Stidham coming up to show if he can replicate any success.

Edited by #1RAIDER FAN
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

great breakdown, thanks for sharing. 

few things about Stidham. I think he looks the part, and its not just this one game. Ive said as much in the preseason. He looked in command of the offense, and Idk if its an it factor type deal, but it doesnt look too big for him. Especially vs the best defense in the league. Hes displayed playmaker ability, both with his arm and his legs. He made one mistake that stood out vs SF, but KM needs to not get his lunch stolen in that situation. I think at times he makes decisions pre snap, i guess you cant be too mad when its to get the ball to the best WR in football lol but it could lead to trouble. Dude is tough as nails, and delivered some strikes while getting pummeled. He goes through his reads when he has time. That ball to Hollins over the middle, when he was his 3rd-4th read was a beauty. I like DC, but it was refreshing to see a QB let plays develop. I also like the fact Stid gives his playmakers an opportunity to make football plays, and not overly cautious and be able to throw guys open. Im not crowning him after one game, but im not saying he isnt the guy either. If he has a big game vs KC, i think you have to seriously consider him moving forward. I just hope McD has the balls to make that move in that scenario and not just run to his daddy TB12.

1 hour ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

How do you watch the 2 breakdowns of Carr and Stidham and not get excited about next season? And a little bummed it took this long to see the offense.

Its the little things that make the biggest difference. Look at how he climbs the pocket, breaks out, keeps his eyes down field, and hits guys in stride. How many Carr throws have the receiver WIDE OPEN falling down making the catch. Stidham takes monster hits and delivers. Plays without fear. Extends plays. The 2 picks are unfortunate. He forced that last play, probably a little too hyped going into OT with the momentum.

All of a sudden, our studs look amazing. The play designs and calls catch the defense off guard. How many people want to keep Waller now? With that said, its 1 game and understandably that's certainly not enough time to make any long term judgement. Big week for Stidham coming up to show if he can replicate any success.

ive spoke up for Carr a ton in here(and also called him out, some) but i am very excited for Stidham. 

5 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I actually think DC could learn to play in cold weather if he played there regularly. The problem is that he only plays in 1-2 cold weather games a year dating back to college so never got the opportunity to get used to it.

Jim Kelly went from Miami University to Buffalo, Brett Favre from Southern Miss to Green Bay, and Aaron Rodgers from Cal to Green Bay. 

Some of y’all crack me up, all the guys who don’t like carr use the 9 yrs of data thing, but choose to set it aside when convenient, and no I’m not trying to make some stupid argument, TRUST ME! Lol! I like DC, but there’s 9 yrs of data that says he doesn’t perform in cold weather, gms WILL NOT ignore that. On a side note, as much as I liked Carr one of my biggest dislikes about him is KANSAS CITY OWNED HIM. Lol!!!