Jonathan Gannon to be Cardinals Head Coach

JetsandI

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

but Kyler developing as more than an improviser decides their fate on O

no offense but ppl just say stuff. when kyler played best in his career (last year) it was as a pocket passer. before he got hurt i think he was 12th in the NFL in QB rushing yards per gm, he didn't have a 40 yard rushing gm until week 12. and AZ had a wild ability to get nothing out of Kyler scrambling around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Anarumo's defense has been bad to mediocre during Anarumo's tenure there. This year they were 6th in scoring, but 16th in yards. Which points towards the offense playing a big factor in keeping the opposing team off the field.

Ot that the offense got them out to hot starts, and they went bend but don't break at a very successful rate.  And were well above average in points given up in the red zone.

Edited by INbengalfan

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

He would have been my 3rd choice of the Cardinals 3 finalists- Gannon, Mike Kafka, and Lou Anarumo. I don't know why the Cards picked Gannon over Anarumo.

Anarumo was my #1. AFC North fans wanted him gone. And rumors were that he'd have Bienemy as OC.

Gannon had by far the best defensive roster in the league and turned out a solid defense. Lots of sacks. But kinda underwhelming in some of the bigger games this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We'll see how he does. I'm not blown away by this hire. But then again, a lot of people mocked the Sirianni hire, so who knows.

If he is that CEO type leader, he’s probably better suited for that than DC.

Did do scouting/FO stuff for a couple years. People seem to love him, and I get it whenever he pops up in behind the scenes stuff.

• Like 1

I think the Cards hired the wrong coordinator... they should have got Steichen. He would have been great for Kyler.

Anyway, I might be proven wrong but I don't think Gannon is anything special. His Defense was so frustrating most of the time. With how much talent he had, I don't think he utilizes them well enough. But I wish him the best of luck in Arizona, hope it all works out for him.

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Ot that the offense got them out to hot starts, and they went bend but don't break at a very successful rate.  And were well above average in points given up in the red zone.

Anarumo just coaches above his weight level. 11th in DVOA but they were like 18th (don't have PFF) in individual PFF on defense. Consistently makes Mahomes underperform. Would probably be amazing with better talent.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Leadership hires almost never work out. Some do like Tomlin and Harbaugh, but it’s rare. 

I would disagree with that. I mean Campbell and Vrabel have been alright. Sirianni gave up play calling so that’s just a leadership hire at this point. Arians in Tampa was a leadership hire. But really you’re splitting hairs over leadership vs schematic hires at that point. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Gannon doesn’t even call plays for the defense

Also I will say reading back my comments it sounds like I’m glowing about this hire. I like this hire, don’t love it. I just think there’s a silly amount of hate for it. I give it a B-ish grade 

15 hours ago, Danger said:

Anarumo's defense has been bad to mediocre during Anarumo's tenure there. This year they were 6th in scoring, but 16th in yards. Which points towards the offense playing a big factor in keeping the opposing team off the field.

His schemes against the best offenses in the biggest games were on point, and that was with good, at best, defensive talent. His in game adjustments have been fantastic.

Of course, that doesn't necesarily mean he'd be a better head coach than Gannon, but from a fan perspective, I'd take the guy who is able to get more from his talent and is great at making adjustments than the other guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Art_Vandalay said:

"Welcome to the 2024 NFL Draft. The Arizona Cardinals are on the clock."

If this results in trading Kyler and drafting Caleb Williams, that's a win.

Kyler could be out a large part if not all this season. And with that contract? Who's going to trade for him?