Arrest warrant issued for potential 1st overall pick DT Jalen Carter

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Serious question, what's the big difference in this vs Collins a long time ago? Wasnt Collins just questioned about a murder and was a UDFA because of it? I didn't think he was ever a legit suspect or did anything questionable but that was a long time ago and im probably misremembering 

That was like a week before the draft and was an ongoing investigation. 

As long as DA’s office doesn’t tack anything on (which I believe is the likely case), then this will probably be cleared up by then.

Racing is stupid and dangerous but not the biggest deal in the world. I think the fact that he lied about being there is a sign of a bigger concern than the racing. Knowing that he'd potentially lie to coaches and authorities after an incident might actually keep teams away... Totally the opposite of Mazi Smith's situation.

As far as the deaths are concerned, I'll blame the person that decided to race while 8x over the legal limit.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Serious question, what's the big difference in this vs Collins a long time ago? Wasnt Collins just questioned about a murder and was a UDFA because of it? I didn't think he was ever a legit suspect or did anything questionable but that was a long time ago and im probably misremembering 

I think it just happened so close to the draft that teams weren't able to vet the situation so they chose to be safe rather than potentially be sorry for drafting a murderer. Carter being charged with a couple of misdemeanors isn't going to change much for him long term, Collins was potentially facing life in prison if the suspicions were true.

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Racing is stupid and dangerous but not the biggest deal in the world. I think the fact that he lied about being there is a sign of a bigger concern than the racing. Knowing that he'd potentially lie to coaches and authorities after an incident might actually keep teams away... Totally the opposite of Mazi Smith's situation.

As far as the deaths are concerned, I'll blame the person that decided to race while 8x over the legal limit.

Agreed.

I mean people are acting like Carter got out of his vehicle and beat the driver and his teammate to a pulp with an iron rod.

Was this an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to do? Yes, but it was after a National Championship win, he’s 21, and as a teammate and player he to this point had checked all the boxes presumably. Interviews will be important, but this could be the fuel he needs to get his life focused and intentional or this could be the start of things to come. Teams will need to decipher between those elements, also environment and which team would also be a factor. Certain teams with certain party city atmospheres and less veteran influence might need to be buyers beware, while other teams with the opposite could feel confident in grabbing a steal.

But a civil suit here would be a money grab IMO. Especially because no one is bringing up that the other female staffer of 26 should be civilly sued. She and the driver were the responsible parties within the incident.

Yet one was driving incredibly drunk, killing herself and committing manslaughter in the accident, and the other was in the backseat without her seatbelt on avoiding death miraculously.

Now I’m not castigating them for also being young and dumb, as at 24 and 26 years old respectively they’re still not old by any means, but they’re still roughly 5 years older than the students, in the responsible roles, and with far less testosterone running in their system.

If Jalen Carter is going to be presumed as evil, insensitive, and someone that should civilly be sued for not being accountable and jeopardizing the lives of the victims, than he or his family should counter sue the university for supplying these individuals as the team influences provided; individuals that actively contributed to the recklessness of the situation and manslaughter.

I’m not defending the reckless driving, but many people, young men especially, drive recklessly within their late teens and early 20s and just never get caught and then temper down as they age and mature, sometimes directly because of surviving a near death experience, like what Carter went through here.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Agreed.

I mean people are acting like Carter got out of his vehicle and beat the driver and his teammate to a pulp with an iron rod.

Was this an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to do? Yes, but it was after a National Championship win, he’s 21, and as a teammate and player he to this point had checked all the boxes presumably. Interviews will be important, but this could be the fuel he needs to get his life focused and intentional or this could be the start of things to come. Teams will need to decipher between those elements, also environment and which team would also be a factor. Certain teams with certain party city atmospheres and less veteran influence might need to be buyers beware, while other teams with the opposite could feel confident in grabbing a steal.

But a civil suit here would be a money grab IMO. Especially because no one is bringing up that the other female staffer of 26 should be civilly sued. She and the driver were the responsible parties within the incident.

Yet one was driving incredibly drunk, killing herself and committing manslaughter in the accident, and the other was in the backseat without her seatbelt on avoiding death miraculously.

Now I’m not castigating them for also being young and dumb, as at 24 and 26 years old respectively they’re still not old by any means, but they’re still roughly 5 years older than the students, in the responsible roles, and with far less testosterone running in their system.

If Jalen Carter is going to be presumed as evil, insensitive, and someone that should civilly be sued for not being accountable and jeopardizing the lives of the victims, than he or his family should counter sue the university for supplying these individuals as the team influences provided; individuals that actively contributed to the recklessness of the situation and manslaughter.

I’m not defending the reckless driving, but many people, young men especially, drive recklessly within their late teens and early 20s and just never get caught and then temper down as they age and mature, sometimes directly because of surviving a near death experience, like what Carter went through here.

A few things here:

1. Nobody is absolving the intoxicated person responsible for driving the car that crashed and resulted in multiple deaths. She's culpable. 

2. This IS a football forum and does absolutely deal with the FOOTBALL SIDE of things, so everything is within that context and lense.

3. Vehicular deaths are the leading or second leading cause of death for young people depending on statistics on self harm from one day to the next (another terrible tragedy for a different day).

4. Jalen Carter is a Top draft prospect, and if he was sober, what he did was reprehensible, likely knowing that they were intoxicated. If he was intoxicated, what he did was equally as reprehensible, as driving under the influence in my mind always is an awful thing to do.

5. Reckless driving as a "meh, boys will be boys and they'll grow out of it" is absolutely a horrendous excuse. Many never do, and those who have that take do so often to justify reckless behavior when they were younger to downplay just how bad of a decision it is/was instead of facing a "yeah, I guess I'm not invincible and neither are the others on the road who I'm also responsible for every time I get behind the wheel" mentality, which all of us should have every single time we get behind the wheel of a car in light of point #3 above on vehicular deaths.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Did Carter supposedly entice the person to race him? A person "8x over the legal limit" so obviously fairly intoxicated. If this is true, you dont' have a problem w/ that?

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 3

They had this guy brought in and bond posted in, literally, under 20 minutes, lol. 

Yeah, I’d say the chances are very high that this gets sorted out well before the draft. Doubt it affects his draft status much (if that is the case) and it’ll just be something draft buffs talk about for the next couple months.

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

A person "8x over the legal limit" so obviously fairly intoxicated

I had a friend in college who had a breathalyzer, so we did what any group of college dudes would do: see who could set the high score. Easily top 5 drunkest I've ever been, and that's a high bar to clear. I blacked out for most of the night, peed my bed, threw up, the whole 9 yards of being an absolute, wasted disaster.

I blew 0.22.

There is no plausible deniability whatsoever in racing someone who is that drunk.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I had a friend in college who had a breathalyzer, so we did what any group of college dudes would do: see who could set the high score. Easily top 5 drunkest I've ever been, and that's a high bar to clear. I blacked out for most of the night, peed my bed, threw up, the whole 9 yards of being an absolute, wasted disaster.

I blew 0.22.

There is no plausible deniability whatsoever in racing someone who is that drunk.

The driver who died was a college employee in recruiting for football, in a college owned new vehicle with students that were football players. Surely the University of Georgia has some blame and if I was the family of the player that passed it's the school I would look to sue for wrongful death or something along those lines.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

The driver who died was a college employee in recruiting for football, in a college owned new vehicle with students that were football players. Surely the University of Georgia has some blame and if I was the family of the player that passed it's the school I would look to sue for wrongful death or something along those lines.

How exactly would the school be at fault? 

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1