Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

29 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Pete Dougherty might be a little wrong on this one.  I see a guy like AJ Hawk being a lock for the Packers Hall of Fame at some point.  It's not like there is a super high bar to getting in there.  This is from his chat today.

Nick: Two Packers defensive  players that where a key factor during their last Super Bowl run were Clay Mathhews and A.J. Hawk. Are they in the Packers Hall of Fame and, if not, why? And do you think they will make the NFL HOF?

Pete Dougherty: Neither is in the Packers Hall of Fame. I don’t think Hawk rises to that level. He had a nice, long (nine years) career with them, was durable (only two games missed because of injury). But I don’t think his play rose to the level of belonging in the team’s Hall of Fame. He was a solid player, I wouldn’t go any further than that. All in all, I’d say he wasn’t much better than an average starter. Matthews will be in the team’s Hall of Fame at some point, can’t imagine he won’t be. I don’t know if the Hall has a mandatory waiting period for eligibility (the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s is five years after the player retires), but Matthews left the team after the 2018 season and retired after the 2019 season, so he hasn’t been out for very long. I have to think that’s why he’s not in yet. The Packers Hall had a reputation for years and years of often inducting players because they were fan favorites and might increase ticket sales for the banquet, etc., rather than for how well they played. But the selection committee has raised the bar in the past 15 years or so. I don’t think Hawk clears it. Matthews clearly does, and I suspect he’ll get in soon.

If youre the Packers leading tackler in history, probably should make the team HoF. No matter how you feel about him, he's a good part of the teams history at this point.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If youre the Packers leading tackler in history, probably should make the team HoF. No matter how you feel about him, he's a good part of the teams history at this point.

I'm all for Matthews but disagree on Hawk.    He's earned some attaboys but not Hall of Fame honors imo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I'm all for Matthews but disagree on Hawk.    He's earned some attaboys but not Hall of Fame honors imo

I hate to break it to you, but you can find about a couple dozen PHoFers whose performance was on par with Hawk's during their careers. The bar for acceptance is lower than you think it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Not even Packers Hall of Fame?  That's what was being asked in the question above.  I say he's a lock, and I definitely wasn't his biggest fan.

3 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Its the team hall. The guy leads the team in a fairly major statistical category. Was a Captain for 1/4 of the Super Bowls the team claims. Was the center of the defense for a decade. Thats a significant part of the history of the team. Plenty of room in the hall for that guy. Whats the point of leaving him out?

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Its the team hall. The guy leads the team in a fairly major statistical category. Was a Captain for 1/4 of the Super Bowls the team claims. Was the center of the defense for a decade. Thats a significant part of the history of the team. Plenty of room in the hall for that guy. Whats the point of leaving him out?

He's unlikable?  (Checks notes, yeah, scratch that idea off of the list.)

Has an ugly wife?  (Checks internet...oh yeah, scratch that idea, too.)

Was a bad person in the community?  (Checks notes....scratch that one, too.)

Didn't have the stats?  (SB Champ, all time tackles leader, scratch that one.)

Didn't get Dougherty an interview that he wanted at one point in time?  Yeah, that is likely.

• Like 1

Is Pete the guy that was here that was convinced that AJ Hawk had the biggest contract in the history of the NFL?  

Frickin Don Majkowski of 56 TDs to 56 INTs and a 22-26 record as a starter is in the Packers Hall of Fame.  

I get it, you want an all-timer at pick 5.  But that whole class sucked.  Hawk was the 13th best player by PFR's DrAV, which isn't the greatest stat ever, but still.  You get more points for being drafted later, only D'Brickashaw Ferguson ranked higher of the players that were drafted before Hawk.  Greg Jennings was 12th, we also got top 32 value out of Darryn Colledge, so we did really well.  

Put Hawk in the Packers HoF.  He is awesome, and he deserves it. 

Hawk never got the credit he deserved for the Packers Super Bowl title. After Nick Barnett went out with an injury, Hawk orchestrated that defense. He also had arguably his greatest year with 3 INT's and 10 PD's and made the Pro Bowl. His 2013 season with 5 sacks and 13 TFL was pretty good too. Hawk should easily be in Packers HOF.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

GW2vl.jpg

Who else do we have pics of flipping off the opponent or opponents fans? I know the Bakh one from last season in Chicago. I think I have a pic of Davante flipping off someone in the crowd during a game as well. Any others that anyone can think of?

43 minutes ago, Tperk said:

Who else do we have pics of flipping off the opponent or opponents fans? I know the Bakh one from last season in Chicago. I think I have a pic of Davante flipping off someone in the crowd during a game as well. Any others that anyone can think of?

Ummm, he was flipping someone off on his own bench if I recall correctly...

Not a Hawk fan by any stretch, but the idea that he doesn't clear the bar for the Packers HOF is a little absurd.  Packers HOF LB Johnny Holland played 7 mostly mediocre seasons as a Packer in the 80's/90s, but Hawk isn't up to that standard?  It's just dumb.

• Like 1