NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

11 hours ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Disagree on that not being enough value to move up for Ed Oliver. This is a rare draft class with no elite QB. But KC could package one of their 4ths and even throw in a future 3rd if absolutely necessary. 

And I stated in my plan that you use the Franchise tag money you would've spent on Dee Ford to instead sign a 4-3 pass rusher. Surely with 20M/yr to spend you can get a difference maker at that position. 

And Chris Jones and Ed Oliver are both elite talents. They'll thrive in ANY system. That's not a concern at all, imo.

That's nowhere near enough value to go from #29 to #3. All of the top pass rushers outside of Dee Ford (and possibly Flowers) seem destined for a franchise tag. Letting him walk and getting rid of Houston isn't the safest play. Oliver and Jones could thrive in any system independently. Trying to put one of those guys at 1T in Spagnuolo's defense is a terrible use of their skill-set. Spagnuolo wants a strong run-stuffing NT at 1T who can clog up the middle. He usually pulls his NT on passing downs. Derrick Nnadi is a good fit for his defense at that spot. You're wasting a ton of draft compensation to totally misuse Oliver.

10 hours ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

DE: Brandon Graham

UT: Chris Jones

NT: Ed Oliver

DE: Cameron Wake

OLB: Frank Zombo

MLB: Anthony Hitchens

OLB: Reggie Ragland

CB: Trae Waynes

CB: Kevin Fuller

FS: Daniel Sorensen

SS: Eric Berry

I don't know,  looks like a mediocre defense to me. I think Mahomes/AB/Hill/Kelce could carry it to the championship.

I don't think you understand Spagnuolo's system well. Oliver is not a NT in that system. That would be a gross misuse of his skill-set. Graham and Wake could play DE, but you're taking on two aging players who are arguably worse than Ford. Doesn't make much sense. Trae Waynes does not fit the scheme. It's not a scheme that is heavy on press coverage. It relies more on catch man and zone. Sorensen would be a huge liability at safety.

Berry, Kendall Fuller, Chris Jones, Dee Ford, Derrick Nnadi, and Breeland Speaks/Tanoh K (assuming one or both progress) fit the defense well. You could get by with a LB core of O'Daniel, Hitchens, and Ragland. You're going to need upgrades at CB (two of them) and FS. It would help if you upgraded at one LB spot and had another talented pass rusher to come off the bench. I know Spags would prefer to run with three DEs and Chris Jones on passing downs.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It looks like a defense where you failed to upgrade our biggest weaknesses (S and LB) and downgraded at edge rusher for no discernible reason.

Agreed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

well Clayborn had 6.^^

Yea I remember that.  Osi had a 6 sack game against Philly too IIRC.  That is about as close as anyone has gotten, though.  I could see 7 sacks being tied, but 8 sacks in a game seems too hard to accomplish.  

Then again, Thomas easily could have had an 8th sack in that game but couldn't finish it.  And also had another 6 sack game later in his career.  Dude was a beast.  I wish I could have seen him play live.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 11:45 AM, iknowcool said:

That first step/burst at 3:57... crazy.

I remember watching that game live - Thomas was unstoppable that day, what a blast to see
But the one sack that he couldn't get was the one that mattered most as Dave Krieg led the Seahawks to a comeback win with 4 seconds left
Thomas had Krieg in his grasp for sack # 8, but he slid off and Krieg drilled a 25 yd TD for the win. Amazing game

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 12:16 PM, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Why not? Watkins makes just a little less than AB but can be cut after next season with no loss if the Steelers decide to move on. The deal makes a ton more sense than any others that have been rumored. Showtime Mahomes and Showtime Brown. The Chiefs then become the bad guys and win, win, win, and win some more until people are sick of it. And then we win, again. And again. And again.

Unfortunately your dreams wont translate to reality. Regardless what KC does in FA, they wont win the division next year. I'll be shocked if KC makes a SB in the next 7 years, let alone becomes the new Patriots. But hey, who am i to diminish dreams. There is a good chance your defense improves next year. I'll even go top 10, as they were in 2016. Your offense will not be top 5 in PPG next year though. 

Edited by Bearerofnews

18 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Unfortunately your dreams wont translate to reality. Regardless what KC does in FA, they wont win the division next year. I'll be shocked if KC makes a SB in the next 7 years, let alone becomes the new Patriots. But hey, who am i to diminish dreams. There is a good chance your defense improves next year. I'll even go top 10, as they were in 2016. Your offense will not be top 5 in PPG next year though. 

You'll be shocked if Kansas City makes the superbowl in the next 7 years?

Everyone is calling me a troll... what about this dude? Webmaster come get your boy