NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

After watching Aaron Donald become the best Defensive player in the NFL the 49ers and Jets are gonna let the best player in the draft and a Donald-esque talent(maybe better) who’s bigger, stronger and just as fast slip by them because of “need”

Man the Raiders are lucky they’re about to get a stud.

Steelers have brought in 5 CBs for private visits.  Baker, Murphy, Ya-Sin, Layne and Sean Bunting.  Since they generally draft looking to the next season and Harden and Burns are FA next year, I would guess that CB will be one of the 1st 2 picks.  i will not be surprised to hear they bring in Greedy Williams as well.  Colbert and Tomlin were at the LSU pro day which is normally a flag for picks.

If the Giants was Lock I wouldn't mind them taking him at 6 unless someone falls. They can trade up either way but don't have to force it to get Lock. They can trade up a few spots for Burns or hope Sweat falls.  I can see Shurmur liking Lock. He can sit for a year or most of it and you try to give him a line with Barkley. Being good enough for 10th but not 6th doesn't matter if he can play. Right now I think they take Sweat at 6

26 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Steelers have brought in 5 CBs for private visits.  Baker, Murphy, Ya-Sin, Layne and Sean Bunting.  Since they generally draft looking to the next season and Harden and Burns are FA next year, I would guess that CB will be one of the 1st 2 picks.  i will not be surprised to hear they bring in Greedy Williams as well.  Colbert and Tomlin were at the LSU pro day which is normally a flag for picks.

I hope it's Layne in the 2nd. I'd be ok with Murphy or Baker in the first but not super excited about it.

EDIT - Even if we traded up in the 2nd to get Layne, I'd prefer it over Murphy and Baker in the 1st. I really like Layne. I think he has what it takes to be a Stud. We have a ton of picks, may as well use them to move around.

10 hours ago, N4L said:

All of those people who keep saying "don't believe anything you hear this time of year" must not remember how much REAL information does leak out. 

There is certainly a lot of truth out there, and also a lot of crap. More crap to be sure, but SOME truth does leak out  

For example, the baker #1 overall rumors were starting to heat up last year around this time. 

I remember Josh Allen being the rumor around this time. A few days before the draft Baker was the rumor 

5 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I remember Josh Allen being the rumor around this time. A few days before the draft Baker was the rumor 

As a Cleveland fan, I can ASSURE you all that the rumors of Josh Allen #1 were surfaced for a while...then two days before the draft, the Baker #1 overall surfaced since that's when Dorsey told Hue, who was by every account (Silver anyone?) the leak in the building for 2+ years.

15 minutes ago, EL Guapo said:

[Schefter] Browns GM John Dorsey, who traded a 1st-round pick for Odell Beckham Jr., is considering trading back into the 1st round.

It would make sense given the depth of this draft. I suppose it might depend on whos there but if they can find a partner it wouldn't shock me at all.

1 minute ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

It would make sense given the depth of this draft. I suppose it might depend on whos there but if they can find a partner it wouldn't shock me at all.

I think they'd be hard pressed to move up unless they're willing to dangle their FRP next year.

18 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Lets say the cards don’t draft Murray, how far can he potentially fall in the draft?

I have this weird feeling that the Raiders would take him. Nothing to support that, of course.

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

I seem to remember it starting at least a little earlier than that, because I remember laughing and thinking "Yeah right" when the talk started, then it stayed pretty constant til draft day.  I don't recall exactly when it started, but it was at least a week or two before the draft.  It maybe wasn't super prevalent, but the rumor was definitely out there.

I thought it was bull because Darnold seemed like a shoo-in first overall.

See, I had heard that it was between Allen and Baker, and Darnold was ruled out completely. Luckily for the Browns, those old tweets of Josh Allen's surfaced, otherwise he probably would have been the pick, as he was reportedly a slight favorite over Mayfield among the Browns front office to that point.

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

Lets say the cards don’t draft Murray, how far can he potentially fall in the draft?

Floor is probably Miami.  A lot of people (myself included) like Haskins more, but it's hard for me to imagine that many QB needy teams passing on him.

35 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

See, I had heard that it was between Allen and Baker, and Darnold was ruled out completely. Luckily for the Browns, those old tweets of Josh Allen's surfaced, otherwise he probably would have been the pick, as he was reportedly a slight favorite over Mayfield among the Browns front office to that point.

Well, all of this is based on my fairly unreliable memory from a year ago, so I'm not certain that that's how any of it played out.  But I do distinctly remember laughing at the idea that they'd draft Baker, then arguing with other people about the validity of the rumor well before two days before the draft.  I wasn't referring to the assumption being that Darnold was the pick until then, that was my take on it at the time.  I had Darnold as the probable top pick, with Rosen behind him, just as a logical thing based on how universal the consensus seemed on Darnold being the best of the pack.

Largely, it was because I had Baker as a pretty distant third behind Darnold and Rosen.  What an accurate prediction that was.

47 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Luckily for the Browns, those old tweets of Josh Allen's surfaced, otherwise he probably would have been the pick

This is just not true. Where are you getting this information from? Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold were their #1 and #2 QB's throughout the entire process.

A dumb tweet didn't drop him from our #1 QB spot.

I believe the Browns never had Josh Allen as their #1 QB, since all impressions indicate that the current Browns FO is a savvy football operation.  Let's not mistake "smokescreens" for actual interest after the fact.

Like if the Browns didn't know about a player's dumb tweets before the combine, I would be surprised.  I'm sure every NFL team has a bunch of people qualified for "look through this kid's social media and see if there is anything really embarrassing in there."

Archived