Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

53 minutes ago, Johnny Nix said:

Bull crap, it does the exact same thing as a mask. 

I always like to do the candle test. If you can wear a face covering and blow out a candle, it's better than nothing but not sufficient. If you cannot blow out the candle, you'd offering max protection for everyone around you. It might not be 100% effective but it is the best it's going to get.

11 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I’m a Firefighter/Paramedic

Yes I know that. 

Yeah, no offense but you've been parading around like you're working in health care and you have more knowledge than most on this. Being an EMT gives you no more knowledge about a pandemic than anyone else in this thread, so stop calling everyone naive for listening to LITERAL EXPERTS ON THIS TOPIC. You aren't "woke". 

I've learned so much about how freaking eristic America is. They just need something to argue and be angry about. 

• Like 4

Not free:

We are over-cleaning in response to covid-19

Joseph G. Allen is an associate professor and director of the Healthy Buildings program at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Charles Haas is a professor of environmental engineering at Drexel University. Linsey C. Marr is a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech.

We don’t have a single documented case of covid-19 transmission from surfaces. Not one.

So why, then, are we spending a small fortune to deep clean our offices, schools, subways and buses? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/12/11/covid-19-airborne-transmission-cleaning-surfaces/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I’m talking about the general public. We’ve conditioned people to become nasty to others who aren’t wearing a mask. The other day mine broke while I was in the store, so i pulled my sweatshirt up over my face. You wouldn’t believe how many people made comments about “sir you need to wear a mask” or “you know that’s not doing anything right?” 

talk about being so conditioned to that message that you lose common sense all together. When I replied that my mask had broke, and my sweatshirt was doing the same thing as a mask would, they would roll their eyes or make another nasty but uneducated comment. 

again I’m not Anti-mask either. There’s just a lot of variables that make them ineffective. 

Wait...

So you think the general public - who are, according to your story, informed by the world's experts (and correct) in their believe that a shirt isn't nearly as effective as a mask - are naive. And you, with your firefighter and paramedic training have superior knowledge to the world's leading experts on virology are not? This is literally the problem with America/the world right now. People who confuse the false notion that democracy means that their ignorance is just as good as someone else's knowledge.

Those people that approached you ARE right. Your sweatshirt is NOT doing the same thing as a mask. They are not naive. They are informed. You are ignorant (based on your follow up comment that you believe your sweatshirt does the same thing - it does not.) You are naive, not them. You have this completely backwards.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24229526/

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

People who confuse the false notion that democracy means that their ignorance is just as good as someone else's knowledge.

Asimov, FTW!

You know... you're the one who equipped me with that powerful weapon. I have since crushed many foes with it.

I owe you my third-born child.

• Like 1

I think the biggest issue for me is trust, not for a lack of trust in science, but a lack of trust in leadership. If covid hadn't been politicized to the extent it had, I think people would be far more trusting.  You add politicians to anything and it creates mistrust for a lot of people.  When somebody (who you don't trust) tells you to trust somebody, it can have the opposite effect and cause mistrust in something that is actually trustworthy. The political game played (by both sides) since covid started is disgusting to me and has created an atmosphere of mistrust. I will get the vaccine when it is readily available, not out of concern for my own health but for those around me and because we need to do whatever we can to try and get back to some sort of "normal" for the mental health of everyone (especially our children).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

My hands are full with 2 by myself already lol

Just now, ET80 said:

No, NO! You take this child now!

Having 3 kids is like swimming in a pool and struggling for air because the weight is making you drown...and then you're handed another kid.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

Bull crap, it does the exact same thing as a mask. 

How are you a health care worker?

oh. Because you’re just pretending to be one. 

Edited by pwny