2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Baker attempted 9 second half passes, 3 were dropped, he had a terrible throw that led to a pick and he was hit well before he released on the 2nd pick. He also is the reason we took a lead in the 1st half.

Pretty simple if you ask me. 

What have you done for me lately crowd...

• Like 1

I think “the one” needs defined.

If it means he is Pat Mahomes or that he is going to win a Super Bowl for us, that part is to be determined. If it means he is at least an average quarterback or good enough to be our starter for the better part of a decade, he probably is the one. It’s hard to find even average starting quarterbacks in the NFL. Look at the money the Panthers gave Teddy Bridgewater in the off-season. 

Baker is in his third year, I think it would take some really bad play for him to get replaced any time in the next few years. If there is some sort of separation, it would be when it’s time for his contract to get renewed, if his play simply is not meeting the market demand and there’s digression like last year. 

His floor is probably Jay Cutler level. His ceiling is somewhere top 10. Wherever he lands, I don’t see him losing his job anytime soon, especially based on how few the good quarterbacks are and the bits of potential we’ve seen at least.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Baker attempted 9 second half passes, 3 were dropped, he had a terrible throw that led to a pick and he was hit well before he released on the 2nd pick. He also is the reason we took a lead in the 1st half.

So... Baker sucks?

- Half this forum

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If it means he is Pat Mahomes or that he is going to win a Super Bowl for us, that part is to be determined. If it means he is at least an average quarterback or good enough to be our starter for the better part of a decade, he probably is the one. It’s hard to find even average starting quarterbacks in the NFL. Look at the money the Panthers gave Teddy Bridgewater in the off-season. 

Baker is in his third year, I think it would take some really bad play for him to get replaced any time in the next few years. If there is some sort of separation, it would be when it’s time for his contract to get renewed, if his play simply is not meeting the market demand and there’s digression like last year. 

His floor is probably Jay Cutler level. His ceiling is somewhere top 10. Wherever he lands, I don’t see him losing his job anytime soon, especially based on how few the good quarterbacks are and the boys of potential we’ve seen at least.

Yup, way too soon to say what Baker is going to be. People pleading for us to sign Dak Prescott will be disappointed, because I very much doubt the front office and coaching staff are going to give up on Baker assuming he keeps playing the way he has this season.

Baker has shown us everything, good, bad and ugly. If he can be consistently good we have our qb. 

He has improved a lot this year on last year, it showed he responds to good coaching. 

We need to keep avp, for a long time, if we keep going like this he will get an oc job. Maybe not this year but next maybe. 

8 hours ago, NateDawg said:

His floor is probably Jay Cutler level. His ceiling is somewhere top 10. Wherever he lands, I don’t see him losing his job anytime soon, especially based on how few the good quarterbacks are and the bits of potential we’ve seen at least.

I think he is good enough to. Be called Flacco who won a super bowl.

That is all that is needed. 

Just remember he has beat Lamar,Rivers,Josh Allen,

Yesterday, Baker had an absolutely fantastic first half against a very good defense. He threw in rhythm, he went downfield and hit the checkdowns, and he was able to let it rip and laser in a few throws. That said, he has been consistently high on some of his downfield throws, which he needs to sort out. He just needs to consistently set his feet and step into those throws, as in all four cases, he threw off his back foot too much. His footwork and eyes in the first half as a whole were very solid.

The second half, he had a few guys drop some balls, and his second INT was directly related to being hit as he threw it, but that first INT can't happen. He telegraphed that pass and tried to force it into a tight window...and I'm still not sure what he saw, because that LB dropped straight back, which he should have identified presnap.

Regardless, 4-1 record, 9 TD and 4 INT, 61% completion percentage, and a bad throw rate of 13% (lower than last year and his rookie year) and an 88.6 Rating, and most importantly, it looks like he is progressing and Stefanski has started to "fix Baker". He has a higher floor than I thought, and his ceiling may actually be relatively high. 

I'm excited!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yesterday, Baker had an absolutely fantastic first half against a very good defense. He threw in rhythm, he went downfield and hit the checkdowns, and he was able to let it rip and laser in a few throws. That said, he has been consistently high on some of his downfield throws, which he needs to sort out. He just needs to consistently set his feet and step into those throws, as in all four cases, he threw off his back foot too much. His footwork and eyes in the first half as a whole were very solid.

The second half, he had a few guys drop some balls, and his second INT was directly related to being hit as he threw it, but that first INT can't happen. He telegraphed that pass and tried to force it into a tight window...and I'm still not sure what he saw, because that LB dropped straight back, which he should have identified presnap.

Regardless, 4-1 record, 9 TD and 4 INT, 61% completion percentage, and a bad throw rate of 13% (lower than last year and his rookie year) and an 88.6 Rating, and most importantly, it looks like he is progressing and Stefanski has started to "fix Baker". He has a higher floor than I thought, and his ceiling may actually be relatively high. 

I'm excited!

This. I'm guessing it's a mechanics issue as to why he keeps throwing too high, but that's been a problem for him all season.

The second INT obviously sucks, but I don't blame him too much for it. The first INT was 100% on him, though.

He needs to get better, but there's no doubt that he's looking much better than he did last season.