Week 6 General Discussion

AFlaccoSeagulls

Just now, SkippyX said:

3rd worst

The NBA calls favorites and randomly the same exact thing is or is not a foul.

One of their refs went to jail for point shaving.

MLB umpires get to call their own strike zones. A ball in the middle of the plate is sometimes called a ball

They are supposed to go to 3rd base or 1st base for check swing rulings but sometimes they go I AM THE CAPTAIN NOW!

They call it themselves even though there is no way they can see it.

man, so you're saying the NFL has the BEST officiating of the 3 major US sports leagues? that's a hard sell lol

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

It's also probably the hardest to officiate, but baseball is much worse, IMO.

I disagree that it's the hardest to officiate, it's that some replay rules are so convoluted and left to officials judgement generally and it's inconsistent from one crew to another, it feels like. Too often officials make themselves known in big spots on things they hadn't called all game, or vice versa.

MLB umps can be whack, for sure, but they generally get calls right on replay. 

It's sad that I think the NBA has better officiating than the NFL but here we are in 2020

20 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

Eagles lost but Wentz looks to be back to normal

Yes, has steadily improved in each of the last 3 games which has been nice to see after playing like worst QB in the NFL through 3 weeks. Hopefully will be able to have an actual good game, and not just a good game given circumstances, next week against a weaker Giants D with a hopefully healthier offense. Short week though so who knows if the latter will happen. 

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

I disagree that it's the hardest to officiate, it's that some replay rules are so convoluted and left to officials judgement generally and it's inconsistent from one crew to another, it feels like. Too often officials make themselves known in big spots on things they hadn't called all game, or vice versa.

MLB umps can be whack, for sure, but they generally get calls right on replay. 

It's sad that I think the NBA has better officiating than the NFL but here we are in 2020

Are all we talking about is replays? As it was pointed out, if you're looking for consistency, MLB umps get to decide what their strike zone is, and don't have to call it the same way game by game. Theirs always going to be inconsistency's between different crews, it's like that in every sport. Human element. Baseball is so much easier to officiate, but they get it wrong multiple times on a daily basis. I'm willing to bet the MLB has never had a single game be called exactly correct, and for being such a slower sport that is terrible.

• Like 1

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

Are all we talking about is replays? As it was pointed out, if you're looking for consistency, MLB umps get to decide what their strike zone is, and don't have to call it the same way game by game. Theirs always going to be inconsistency's between different crews, it's like that in every sport. Human element. Baseball is so much easier to officiate, but they get it wrong multiple times on a daily basis. I'm willing to bet the MLB has never had a single game be called exactly correct, and for being such a slower sport that is terrible.

No, not just talking about replay, but that was one of the issues being discussed. 

Yes, I agree MLB is the easiest and they still make mistakes, but I think the NFL blows more impactful calls/calls things differently in "bigger" spots, etc.