2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

There will be one or two shockers but I’d tentatively say the hot seat for next season is (in descending order of how hot their butt is):

Zac Taylor

Vic Fangio

Mike McCarthy

Matt Nagy

Mike Zimmer

Joe Judge

Brian Flores

Kliff Kingsbury

So that’s 1/4 of the league that I’d tentatively put at risk. The last 3 of those I would suggest will only be fired if there’s a 2-14 type implosion. The top 5 probably need to demonstrate improvement (either playoffs, or at least improve Burrow in Taylor’s case) to avoid the chop.

Also with the first year guys there’s always a chance that one of them is just completely out of their depth and ends up going 1-15 and losing the locker room. Maybe Dan Campbell could be that guy? 

I dont see Brian Flores getting canned next year unless they take a massive step back. He has turned that defense around and the offense did improve some compared to Adam Gase. 

I dont see Bill Belichick getting fired but would he search for a change of scenery or possibly retire if he gets the itch that they aren't close to being ready? I think it is far fetched but being 69 years old come 2021 season he doesn't have many more coaching years left. With such a successful career he may not have the desire to go through a total rebuild and may want to look at retiring. 

Bengals, Giants, Cowboys, Broncos, Vikings, and possibly Cardinals all have to produce a playoff seed in 2022 in order to maintain their job. Bears while coming in hot towards the end of the season I could see Nagy being let go if they struggle, so getting a qb should be their top priority this offseason. 

With how toxic the media has been for the Texans and Eagles I could see a 1 and done type year for their new HC. The owner may look to clean house and have no ties to the coaching staff and front office to stick around. Another far fetch thing that will likely not happen but anything is possible with these organizations at the moment. 

23 hours ago, Jeezla said:

surprised Rick Dennison doesn't ever get interviews for a HC or at least OC gig. His OL's always seem to perform well.

Eberflus deserves more interviews as well

He was not ideal in Buffalo his lack of vision on being creative has kept him out of discussions. He was very predictable and the offense was overly vanilla. Solid positional coach but not good enough to be Coordinator material.  He is Kubiak's guy and majority of his OC career Kubiak was HC so was it him or Kubiak  making the calls in Houston and Denver? Maybe they promote him to OC with Kubiak retiring. 

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

There will be one or two shockers but I’d tentatively say the hot seat for next season is (in descending order of how hot their butt is):

Zac Taylor

Vic Fangio

Mike McCarthy

Matt Nagy

Mike Zimmer

Joe Judge

Brian Flores

Kliff Kingsbury

So that’s 1/4 of the league that I’d tentatively put at risk. The last 3 of those I would suggest will only be fired if there’s a 2-14 type implosion. The top 5 probably need to demonstrate improvement (either playoffs, or at least improve Burrow in Taylor’s case) to avoid the chop.

Also with the first year guys there’s always a chance that one of them is just completely out of their depth and ends up going 1-15 and losing the locker room. Maybe Dan Campbell could be that guy? 

Kingsbury is on a far hotter seat than Flores and Judge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ACO said:

Both? I mean honestly Eagles is the only one I saw having legit interest in him. He went from being one of the hot names to barely on the radar. So I definitely believe he sees this as one of the last chances to turn things around.

There was this idea that he would never get a chance because people would hold the Indy situation over his head

3 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

There was this idea that he would never get a chance because people would hold the Indy situation over his head

I think most people, myself included, assumed that McDaniels had to have some sort of gentleman's agreement to take over NE within ~5 years, because otherwise his bailing on the Colts would have been career suicide. Thus far, the Colts thing has proved to be damaging to his HC prospects, as he's gotten 1 interview since, and it's with the most desperate team in the league. 

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

that's a big win for LA, Morris is a proven coach and he'll have plenty of talent to work with on the Rams

Agreed. I was hoping we'd keep him here. He ran a lot of C1 and C3 here in Atlanta, but normally runs a lot of C2 and C4 He's a guy who mixes things up a lot though and likes to get blitzes sprinkled in. The real question is the 4-man vs. 3-man base. He's never run a 3-man base before.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

Agreed. I was hoping we'd keep him here. He ran a lot of C1 and C3 here in Atlanta, but normally runs a lot of C2 and C4 He's a guy who mixes things up a lot though and likes to get blitzes sprinkled in. The real question is the 4-man vs. 3-man base. He's never run a 3-man base before.

He can run either with us (even or odd fronts). Good that he likes to run C-2 and C-4. Our defensive personnel are best suited for that scheme. In terms of the base defense, I think it would make a lot of sense to run a 4-3 Under type scheme.

Edited by jrry32