Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

7 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

It just shows how much teams are undervaluing draft pick due to less of a college football season. The same reason the Seahawks gave up so much for Jamal Adam’s. The draft is even more of a crap shoot and you will see more trades like this. 

Rick Spielman is drooling reading this.

56 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

How is a trend not context? It's not like he cherry picked anything, he offered a large swath of a sample size to compare to other teams who had more success with arguably less talent. What other context are you looking for? You want a play by play breakdown of all those games plus what Stafford had for breakfast and whether or not the center's girlfriend put out the night before?

Deleted.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

I was thinking about the time that Arians when he was with the Cards went and got at the time the 34yr old QB Palmer who wasnt particularly winning in Oakland and wasnt particularly winning in Cincy. We know both those organizations were and still is a joke. I think Oakland is getting better but they still have a long ways to go before I can I seriously say they are starting to be a good organization.

Anyways, Palmer goes to the Cards and his first 3 seasons his record was (29-9). Now in 2014 he only played 6 games because he got hurt but he was (6-0) in those games. The Cards went (10-6) his first season, (11-5) and made the playoffs in his second season despite him only playing six games, and in his third season coming off injury the Cards went (13-3) and made it to the NFCCG. In Palmer third season he had over 4,600yds passing, 35tds/11ints and made the pro bowl. He was 36yrs old. So this notion that Stafford wont win with the Rams because he hasnt been a winner with the Lions. We need to look at Palmer as the example. He won immediately when he got with Arians and the Cards who was a better team and organization than the Raiders and Bengals which Palmer had left. Now I know how it ended for Palmer when he was 37 and 38yrs old. Guess what? After two seasons the Rams will have their 1st round picks and at 35yrs old if Stafford starts to drastically regress like Palmer did after three seasons then the Rams can just move on from Stafford if they want to. It depends though on when they give him an extension and how its constructed. I think though Stafford is in a better position going to the Rams than Palmer was going to do the Cards and again Palmer first three seasons he went (29-9) in games played. The Cards went (10-6), (11-5), and (13-3) in those seasons and Palmer took them to the NFCCG at age 36 and had his best season of his career. Even at age 37 Palmer threw for over 4200yds and 26tds. The team wasnt very good. They went (6-8-1). So yeah anyone concerned about Stafford age and his inability to win in Detroit need to look at Palmer going from Oakland to Arizona and linked up with Arians in that offense and how he thrived immediately. Again I think Stafford is going to thrive immediately with McVay in LA with the Rams. 

Edited by stl4life07
  • Like 2

Goff 38 turnovers in 31 games. Stafford isn't exactly shy of throwing risky passes but he has a far better and more explosive vertical passing chart than Jared, and has far fewer turnovers.

It's such an upgrade.

Costs notwithstanding. That's a lot to give up. I wouldn't be surprised to see LA in superbowl though

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

How is a trend not context? It's not like he cherry picked anything, he offered a large swath of a sample size to compare to other teams who had more success with arguably less talent. What other context are you looking for? You want a play by play breakdown of all those games plus what Stafford had for breakfast and whether or not the center's girlfriend put out the night before?

That’d be so helpful. Please add that to this conversation.

If you think what he did is provide context then lord help this forum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

That’d be so helpful. Please add that to this conversation.

If you think what he did is provide context then lord help this forum. 

What context do you want? Already asked the question but if you can't answer it then what your saying is irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

What context do you want? Already asked the question but if you can't answer it then what your saying is irrelevant. 

Do you think the quality of a quarterback's team plays a role in how many games that quarterback will win, and the quality of that quarterback's stats?

8 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Do you think the quality of a quarterback's team plays a role in how many games that quarterback will win, and the quality of that quarterback's stats?

of course it does, it was in @SkippyX's post comparing it to other teams with low talent and higher win%

Alex Smith is 11-5 on the WFT (2018 and 2020)

• The WFT was 3-13 without Alex Smith in 2018 and 2020
  • This is what good QB s do. He was also 1-3 vs playoff teams (.333)

Brian Hoyer was 10-6 and  3-3 vs playoff teams on the 2013-2014 Browns

• Cleveland was 8-18 overall when Hoyer was not at QB those years.
  • If Stafford can't be as clutch as Hoyer, you have a problem.

Stafford is not an all-time loser against playoff teams because of coaching, teammates, defenses, scheme, or injuries.

• Its because he has been bad when they need him to be good.
  • McVay could very well fix him, or make it easier on him, or both but its reality.
  • The talent on the Stafford Lions was mediocre, not bad. (with occasional dips into bad and dips into good)

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

If we fall from 1->10 (huge drop off) it would be the second time in Stafford's career he had a top 10 defense. The other time he went 11-5.

He's more of an upgrade than people think, but those people likely didn't watch the Rams all year. 

Yes please tell me to watch the tape again.

With Rivers and Brees retiring, Stafford becomes the NFL active leader in TD passes... to the other team.

• Brees had 27 pick sixes to 571 TDs (21.15 to 1)
  • Rivers had 25 pick sixes to 421 TDs  (16.84 to 1)
  • Stafford has 23 pick sixes to 282 TDs  (12.26 to 1)
  • Favre had the most pick sixes at 31 and he had 508 TDs (16.39 to 1)
  • Goff has 4 pick sixes to 107 TDs (26.75 to 1)
  • Vinny Testaverde had 23 pick sixes to 275 TDs (11.96 to 1)
  • Jay Cutler had 19 pick sixes to 227 TDs (11.95 to 1)
  • Eli had 22 pick sixes to 366 TDs (16.64 to 1)
Edited by SkippyX

40 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Watch the games and all the context you need is right there. It ain’t hard. It’s bad enough how QB stats can be misleading but for the sake of argument let’s view that as an acceptable measure. Now we wanna do wins when so many things go into that? The QB wins stat is pathetic. 

• Like 1

The problem with pointing to Stafford's 0-3 playoff game record - it's 3 games.   2 of which the team was obliterated, so really hard to point at Stafford.   And on the 3rd, the infamous DET-DAL game, well I think we all agree it was a controversial game (still, if the game hinges on 1-2 plays, barring the very last one called wrong, you had your chances).

It's fair to point to it - but then ignoring the 45 4th quarter comebacks, and the fact he's had the most since 2010 - seems very much like it's selective memory, or confirmation bias (you don't think Stafford is clutch, so you dismiss the 4Q comebacks).   Usually, the truth lies somewhere in between.

When you're dealing with small sample sizes - generally it's best to be cautious.    The knock on Elway was he choked on the big stage, couldn't get it done.  2 SB's later in the very last years of his career (ironically when he played with the most complete teams in his career) - you don't hear that, fans recognize those 4 L's he wasn't the problem, those teams were vastly inferior.  I am not comparing Elway the player to Stafford the player - that would be ridiculous.  But they used Elway's past SB failures to write a narrative, when the truth was far more nuanced.   I suspect the same is happening with Stafford and playoff performance.

I'd still hold that Stafford is still playing at a peak level.  And that peak level is far, far greater than what Goff 2019-20 has been providing.   Ultimately, Stafford will get a chance to actually prove the doubters/supporters wrong with his level of play in the playoffs.  I suspect he'll get the chance in both 2021 & 2022 to address this angle.   For LAR to win the deal, he'll need to have 3 in a row in 1 year though (again, not all on him, but more if he's enough with this team to get them over the hump).  Looking forward to January games for this to play out next year.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

With Rivers and Brees retiring, Stafford becomes the NFL active leader in TD passes... to the other team.

• Brees had 27 pick sixes to 571 TDs (21.15 to 1)
  • Rivers had 25 pick sixes to 421 TDs  (16.84 to 1)
  • Stafford has 23 pick sixes to 282 TDs  (12.26 to 1)
  • Favre had the most pick sixes at 31 and he had 508 TDs (16.39 to 1)
  • Goff has 4 pick sixes to 107 TDs (26.75 to 1)
  • Vinny Testaverde had 23 pick sixes to 275 TDs (11.96 to 1)
  • Jay Cutler had 19 pick sixes to 227 TDs (11.95 to 1)

Detroits OL and WRs suck at tackling though

• Like 2