Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

On 3/30/2021 at 12:35 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Because then another team could trade to #3 and take the guy you wanted 

So this probably isn't for Mac then. I don't think you'd need to worry about someone jumping you to come up and get Mac at 3. 

Lance all day long (or Fields)

On 3/30/2021 at 6:02 AM, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Is there an article on this? Lol id love to hear the Jets side

This is the closest thing I could find. It implies that they were fine with Baker or Darnold, and even Rosen. Granted, this is a pro Darnold article that was written soon after the pick was made.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So this probably isn't for Mac then. I don't think you'd need to worry about someone jumping you to come up and get Mac at 3. 

Lance all day long (or Fields)

With the draft you never know where someone will get picked. Especially Qbs, maybe they feared if they traded to like 6th he could still get picked. This way they know they got their guy

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I feel somewhat bad for 9ers fans if this actually happens:

Elite leader...? The dudes college head coach calls him John McEnroe with his short temper and what he does when facing adversity 😂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I feel somewhat bad for 9ers fans if this actually happens:

My stance hasn't changed. I think there's a shot he's the choice, just because Shanny does what Shanny does and that's how he is, but man, that's his legacy if he does it. Passing on Mahomes / Watson for Cousins. Josh Allen for Jimmy G. Lance / Fields for McCorkle Jones. But it would be the weirdest thing ever to me. I legitimately would never understand it based on what was given up, the prospects involved, the things that Kyle has said over the last season.  I think the choice is Lance / Fields like 90% with the other 10% being McCorkle. 

The thing is, you can keep hearing the talk and it means nothing. In fact, the talk just makes me think more and more that it's not Mac because *nobody* has an in on the 49ers for the most part. They are insanely tight lipped and paranoid to a bizarre extent.  You never hear anything much about what they are planning. Our beat writers are clueless right now.  Matt Maiocco, who has been one of the best beat writers around has done this over the last six weeks: "9ers are committed to Jimmy. If the 9ers are interested in a QB, I think it'll be Trey Lance. I think the 9ers traded up for Justin Fields. (next day) I think the pick will be Mac Williams. I don't think the the starting QB will be Jimmy G next year for the first time (only to be followed by the niners saying he's the guy next year lol). A couple of days before the 2019 draft, people were saying we were "strongly considering" Williams with the #2 pick when we had told Nick Bosa he would be the pick at the scouting combine. This is just what they do. 

Its definitely possible that JOnes is the pick, and make no mistake, if he is, he's going to be somewhat successful. Environment and situation matter and I don't know that any rookie QB will go into a better one then he will at SF which will immediately make him worthwhile just about. But jesus you're leaving so much on the table. You're going from 4th best qb in the division to....4th best in the division. And you're not likely going to get better than that until one of the others leaves. You're passing on the gusy that have the upside to be a top 3-5 QB in the nfl for that guy who will basically just allow you to play QB from the sideline. It would say soooooooooooo much to me about Kyle, to be frank. It would be just such a weird, weird move. I mean, I would have rather tried to salvage Darnold for a 3rd. Go get Cousins for a couple of firsts. You could have had Stafford for this amount. There was that brief moment where carr was talked about as being available for 2 firsts. All of them are known quantities and would have cost less than what we gave up to go to #3. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

You're passing on the gusy that have the upside to be a top 3-5 QB in the nfl for that guy who will basically just allow you to play QB from the sideline.

It was at this very moment that I realized that they are actually going to do this aren’t they? That Shanahan ego is just...wow.

Just now, MWil23 said:

It was at this very moment that I realized that they are actually going to do this aren’t they? That Shanahan ego is just...wow.

Honestly, he seems kind of upset by the narrative that the media keeps putting out there lol. So that's a good sign. And he's been harping about elite quarterbacks and elite traits. I dont know how you say all that and then turn around and make Mac the pick. Would just be so weird. I mean, if you want that type of guy, just go get Cousins or something. I'm pretty sure they would have flipped jimmy + pick for Cousins just so they could get away from the fully guaranteed remainder of his deal (including 2022 at 35 million). And it would have been cheaper than 3 first round picks. This was part of the press conference the other night: 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Honestly, he seems kind of upset by the narrative that the media keeps putting out there lol. So that's a good sign. And he's been harping about elite quarterbacks and elite traits. I dont know how you say all that and then turn around and make Mac the pick. Would just be so weird. I mean, if you want that type of guy, just go get Cousins or something. I'm pretty sure they would have flipped jimmy + pick for Cousins just so they could get away from the fully guaranteed remainder of his deal (including 2022 at 35 million). And it would have been cheaper than 3 first round picks. This was part of the press conference the other night: 

It sounded to me like Shanahan was saying that he wanted Cousins at the time because he was the best option available then.  That doesn't mean Cousins is the "perfect" quarterback in his eyes.  He would like to find the best QB that is out there - one who can do all the things Cousins can do AND more.  All of this to me does not necessarily add up to Mac Jones.  I'd be pretty surprised if Jones is the pick at #3.  I think he's going to go for Fields.

Edited by Uncle Buck

5 hours ago, Forge said:

My stance hasn't changed. I think there's a shot he's the choice, just because Shanny does what Shanny does and that's how he is, but man, that's his legacy if he does it. Passing on Mahomes / Watson for Cousins. Josh Allen for Jimmy G. Lance / Fields for McCorkle Jones. But it would be the weirdest thing ever to me. I legitimately would never understand it based on what was given up, the prospects involved, the things that Kyle has said over the last season.  I think the choice is Lance / Fields like 90% with the other 10% being McCorkle. 

The thing is, you can keep hearing the talk and it means nothing. In fact, the talk just makes me think more and more that it's not Mac because *nobody* has an in on the 49ers for the most part. They are insanely tight lipped and paranoid to a bizarre extent.  You never hear anything much about what they are planning. Our beat writers are clueless right now.  Matt Maiocco, who has been one of the best beat writers around has done this over the last six weeks: "9ers are committed to Jimmy. If the 9ers are interested in a QB, I think it'll be Trey Lance. I think the 9ers traded up for Justin Fields. (next day) I think the pick will be Mac Williams. I don't think the the starting QB will be Jimmy G next year for the first time (only to be followed by the niners saying he's the guy next year lol). A couple of days before the 2019 draft, people were saying we were "strongly considering" Williams with the #2 pick when we had told Nick Bosa he would be the pick at the scouting combine. This is just what they do. 

Its definitely possible that JOnes is the pick, and make no mistake, if he is, he's going to be somewhat successful. Environment and situation matter and I don't know that any rookie QB will go into a better one then he will at SF which will immediately make him worthwhile just about. But jesus you're leaving so much on the table. You're going from 4th best qb in the division to....4th best in the division. And you're not likely going to get better than that until one of the others leaves. You're passing on the gusy that have the upside to be a top 3-5 QB in the nfl for that guy who will basically just allow you to play QB from the sideline. It would say soooooooooooo much to me about Kyle, to be frank. It would be just such a weird, weird move. I mean, I would have rather tried to salvage Darnold for a 3rd. Go get Cousins for a couple of firsts. You could have had Stafford for this amount. There was that brief moment where carr was talked about as being available for 2 firsts. All of them are known quantities and would have cost less than what we gave up to go to #3. 

I dont think Jones will be the pick but I will say this, weve seen more and more that you cant just rely on your physical gifts and be a good nfl QB. Theres rumors that FIelds isnt that dedicated to football and he just kind of showed up at Ohio st. If youre doing that in college, and its a big if that its actually true, odds are very likely youre going to fall on your face in the NFL.

If you share in those beliefs about FIelds, and you think his delivery is a problem, then hes basically a lottery ticket. If you can fix him, sure, he has top 3 upside. Or, you can take a safer option and know (theoretically) that he'll be your QB for the next 15 years. Basically we can call him Matt Ryan. Doesnt have the physical tools to be Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes,  or Lamar Jackson, but he has been top 10 just about all his career and more in the 4-8 range in his prime. Would you rather have a guy like Ryan where hes certainly good enough to be the reason you win, but will never be as good as a Rodgers type, or do you want to roll the dice and have a ranged of outcomes that go from Dwayne Haskins to Patrick Mahomes? 

Now obviously every pick is essentially a dice roll, but theres definitely riskier and safer players on the surface. Given the roster they have built, I woulnt mind them sacrificing a little upside to take out some of the risk as well.

18 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Theres rumors that FIelds isnt that dedicated to football and he just kind of showed up at Ohio st. If youre doing that in college, and its a big if that its actually true, odds are very likely youre going to fall on your face in the NFL.

There's rumors like this every year. Remember a couple of months ago when Wilson was an uncoachable spoiled brat? That's one of those things I almost never believe when they come out during draft season

18 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

If you share in those beliefs about FIelds, and you think his delivery is a problem, then hes basically a lottery ticket. If you can fix him, sure, he has top 3 upside. Or, you can take a safer option and know (theoretically) that he'll be your QB for the next 15 years. Basically we can call him Matt Ryan. Doesnt have the physical tools to be Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes,  or Lamar Jackson, but he has been top 10 just about all his career and more in the 4-8 range in his prime. Would you rather have a guy like Ryan where hes certainly good enough to be the reason you win, but will never be as good as a Rodgers type, or do you want to roll the dice and have a ranged of outcomes that go from Dwayne Haskins to Patrick Mahomes? 

Now obviously every pick is essentially a dice roll, but theres definitely riskier and safer players on the surface. Given the roster they have built, I woulnt mind them sacrificing a little upside to take out some of the risk as well.

Nothing tells me Mac is safer, and ironically, he's the one qb who has a verified non football occurrence (dui). Ryan is one of his upper echelon possibilities and frankly, I think Ryan was a far superior prospect. I think Mac is closer to Derek Carr (that's not a knock; I liked carr as a prospect and think he's under appreciated as an nfl qb)

You're not sacrificing a little upside in my opinion, but a lot (in terms of a reasonable expectation. the guy could also be Drew brees, I just wouldn't expect it) . And lis, don't think the floor is as great as people perceive. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

The thing is, you can keep hearing the talk and it means nothing. In fact, the talk just makes me think more and more that it's not Mac because *nobody* has an in on the 49ers for the most part.

Wasn't the McGlinchey pick leaked prior to the draft?

34 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it was like the day before or the day of the draft. Nothing this far off. If memory serves Peter King was also doing a story on Lynch being the GM so he was around the facility for a bit that year leading up to the draft. 

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

About a week was when king first posted it maybe, about 2-3 days before the draft was when it caught on. I mentioned it in another post. it starts to matter about a week before, especially from king

**Edit***

Scratch that. King posted it 3 days before the draft. Just looked it up. So less than a week lol. 

Nobody has any clue right now, most likely. Just guess work and opinions