Round 3: Pick 85; Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

23 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It wouldn't be the first time that somebody has called me a Rodgers hater, but God am I terrified Rodgers is going to force feed Cobb to the detriment of the team until about Week 7 when Cobb's body finally gives out. 

It could equal out well because he likes to force feed Adams as well. I'm also curious how much snaps Cobb will actually get with a good amount of mouths to feed, then again knowing what's went down this year even LaFleur will prob submit to Rodgers demands of having him on the field the majority of the time.. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

I keep circling back to the pre-existing relationship between Amari and Cobb.  Having Cobb on the roster during Amari's rookie season is a good thing.  Even for Aaron, I see having Cobb as the first true slot receiver he's had in the MLF offense as a good thing since the trust factor is already in place.  Aaron would probably be ignoring Amari this season were he running the exact routes Cobb will be running.  If Aaron moves on as expected, Amari should be fully prepared for a heavy workload in 2022. If Aaron remains a Packer beyond 2021, the transition from Cobb to Amari as the primary slot should be seamless. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I keep circling back to the pre-existing relationship between Amari and Cobb.  Having Cobb on the roster during Amari's rookie season is a good thing.  Even for Aaron, I see having Cobb as the first true slot receiver he's had in the MLF offense as a good thing since the trust factor is already in place.  Aaron would probably be ignoring Amari this season were he running the exact routes Cobb will be running.  If Aaron moves on as expected, Amari should be fully prepared for a heavy workload in 2022. If Aaron remains a Packer beyond 2021, the transition from Cobb to Amari as the primary slot should be seamless. 

Completely agree. Has Aaron said anything about Amari thus far? Not sure we've discussed any quotes; perhaps they may come soon, who knows.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:57 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

It wouldn't be the first time that somebody has called me a Rodgers hater, but God am I terrified Rodgers is going to force feed Cobb to the detriment of the team until about Week 7 when Cobb's body finally gives out. 

I honestly don't think he will. No doubt Aaron has a bad habit of feeding his favorites more than their share, but he's got one of the few receivers in the game you almost can't target too much and yet somehow Aaron finds a way. He gets tunnel vision on Adams far too often on big plays, and with Cobb on the team I think it'll hopefully keep him more in the balanced mindset and spreading the ball. That's a hugely optimistic take but it's not even pre season so why not?

Excited for Amari. Think a Cobb that can run corner routes is gonna steal Rodgers's eye to be frank; he likes throwing the home run touch pass because it's showy and Amari is the guy for that. Can just go up and snag it if Rodgers can put it out there and you know he loves to show he can. Which to be honest I'm on board with, because it's a rhythm throw and we need more things encouraging Rodgers to stay on schedule.

10 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I honestly don't think he will. No doubt Aaron has a bad habit of feeding his favorites more than their share, but he's got one of the few receivers in the game you almost can't target too much and yet somehow Aaron finds a way. He gets tunnel vision on Adams far too often on big plays, and with Cobb on the team I think it'll hopefully keep him more in the balanced mindset and spreading the ball. That's a hugely optimistic take but it's not even pre season so why not?

Excited for Amari. Think a Cobb that can run corner routes is gonna steal Rodgers's eye to be frank; he likes throwing the home run touch pass because it's showy and Amari is the guy for that. Can just go up and snag it if Rodgers can put it out there and you know he loves to show he can. Which to be honest I'm on board with, because it's a rhythm throw and we need more things encouraging Rodgers to stay on schedule.

My issue isn't Adams not getting targets. It's that our target distribution is going to look like:

Adams: 12

Cobb: 9

MVS: 1

Lazard: 1

EQ: 1

Tonyan: 3

Jones: 2

Cobb isn't a 9 target per game player anymore, and our offense does well with better distribution.

I'm also less confident than you in Amari running anything past 10 yards. I do agree he can track it. My question is can he get away from guys with anything other than a bump at the top of the stem. At least this year. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

My issue isn't Adams not getting targets. It's that our target distribution is going to look like:

Adams: 12

Cobb: 9

MVS: 1

Lazard: 1

EQ: 1

Tonyan: 3

Jones: 2

Cobb isn't a 9 target per game player anymore, and our offense does well with better distribution.

I'm also less confident than you in Amari running anything past 10 yards. I do agree he can track it. My question is can he get away from guys with anything other than a bump at the top of the stem. At least this year. 

I mean, I'm not gonna fight you on that; it seems like a very realistic potential issue.  You can force it a bit by using packages that Cobb doesn't fit to keep him off the field, but at the cost of almost certainly infuriating Rodgers.  I guess I just hope you're wrong here?  Because man this offense is loaded in terms of spreading the ball around; lot of players who warrant at least 2-4 targets a game even beyond the guys listed.  

I'm not worried too much about Amari being able to create space at this juncture; I agree that'll be the issue long term that determines the kind of career he has.  But year one I'm guessing a lot of his snaps and routes will be freed up by the play design; he's the kind of guy that should be able to get a step or two just losing his man in the wash or PA.  

2 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Hopefully Cobb sees more of the bench than the field.  He can be a player-coach for Amari if need be, but hopefully he leaves out the lesson on how to sign a big contract and then be mediocre.

I really really really hope Cobb sees more of the bench because that means Amari (or other WR) is doing AMAZING enough to make that happen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I really really really hope Cobb sees more of the bench because that means Amari (or other WR) is doing AMAZING enough to make that happen.

There is no way GM/Coach/QB Rodgers is going to let Cobb sit on the bench. I'm right there with you but do not see it happening. 

The only way this could remotely happen is if Cobb sees guys are just better than him and decide to retire and we make him a coach. The chances of that happening are slim to none and slim is leaving town tomorrow. 

15 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

But year one I'm guessing a lot of his (Amari's) snaps and routes will be freed up by the play design; he's the kind of guy that should be able to get a step or two just losing his man in the wash or PA.  

A much better chance of 'freed by design' plays happening with La Fleur as head coach, compared to McCarthy.

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned this in the 1st PS game thread, but I noticed again in the 2nd game. This guy doesn’t seem to have any wiggle to him at all. Not particularly fast. He’s been pretty sure handed (save for the one muff), I guess. Hopefully, this gets thrown in my face in 3 years when he’s a superstar and I was evaluating him after 2 dumb preseason games. But I just don’t see anything special with this guy. You’d think he’d flash at least something, but he’s a about as pedestrian as I’ve seen a receiver. 

4 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I mentioned this in the 1st PS game thread, but I noticed again in the 2nd game. This guy doesn’t seem to have any wiggle to him at all. Not particularly fast. He’s been pretty sure handed (save for the one muff), I guess. Hopefully, this gets thrown in my face in 3 years when he’s a superstar and I was evaluating him after 2 dumb preseason games. But I just don’t see anything special with this guy. You’d think he’d flash at least something, but he’s a about as pedestrian as I’ve seen a receiver. 

It's an honest assessment, but let's not forget that Jones, J. Williams, and Devante Mays were all drafted the same year and stunk it up in the preseason. It was really only after some NFL coaching and conditioning that Jones found an extra gear while J. Williams found some extra fluidity and power. 

That said, this video got posted in another thread awhile back. Tell me how you don't see some shades of Davante Adams in some of those releases and routes.

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

He usually made the first guy miss in game 2, so I was a bit more excited about him. He looks like one of those guys who is just slippery to tackle--a la Randall Cobb.

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

Agreed. But it was well-known he's a very average athlete (5.37 RAS). He's limited that way, but makes up for that with refined skills, no wasted movement, and knowledge. At least that's the goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. But it was well-known he's a very average athlete (5.37 RAS). He's limited that way, but makes up for that with refined skills, no wasted movement, and knowledge. At least that's the goal.

While that RAS is publicly available, somehow I had not seen it before. I was under the impression we drafted a speedy/quick/elusive gadget player but this guy literally is Randall Cobb 2.0. 

I came in this thread to bring this up, but am glad you guys are already talking about how average this guy is.