Round 3: Pick 85; Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

9 hours ago, Refugee said:

With Randall Cobb officially back in the fold, it will be interesting to see what impact he has on Amari’s development. They will certainly compete for snaps but the overall benefit to the young receiver should be real. They share the connection of a former coach who also happened to be Amari’s father. I would assume this might take some of the urgency off of the rookie, letting him concentrate on ST and building up his understanding of playing at this level. I also really want to see what he can do this year, and hopefully he starts to carve out a role while Randall stays healthy and makes good on his contract. 

Thought about this myself. Cobb being back in the fold will definitely take away a lot of opportunity this season for Rodgers. I think he'll be our Tarik Cohen. Just a jet sweep SP, gadget guy. Our replacement for Irvin.

Edited by St Vince

Amari will get a healthy amount of snaps on offense. Cobb hasn't played a full season since 2015, he will probably be hurt by week 3 of the regular season. The addition of Cobb will just lighten Amari's load for the early part of the season is all.   

54 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Thought about this myself. Cobb being back in the fold will definitely take away a lot of opportunity this season for Rodgers. I think he'll be our Tarik Cohen. Just a jet sweep SP, gadget guy. Our replacement for Irvin.

Amari can definitely play the Swerve position with good acceleration and a strong build to take and give a few hits. He should also be our primary returner and will be allowed to focus on that much the way Randall did in his first seasons.  Cobb’s first year he saw very little work on offense and was a certified weapon on returns, he broke out his second season. Let’s hope Amari can have a similar trajectory. 

• Like 1

Biggest thing with Rodgers is he's actually much better downfield than Cobb is.  Cobb was never great at extending to catch the ball, he's much better hands-wise if it's coming at the frame of his body.  He's solid enough at finding the ball that combined with his quickness and speed when he was young he could create enough separation for Aaron to put it on him.  But it's not a strength, and you really want most of his targets to be within twenty yards.

Rodgers is different; he lacks Cobb's instant CoD skills and isn't as fast as rookie contract Cobb, but he can find it and go get it just about anywhere in his catch radius.  I think he'll see more snaps outside than people expect, especially when they like to run odd formations and use motion to force some weird match-ups.  And given both him and Cobb are as tough and aggressive as they come you can have both on the field and still get some blocking value.  Lazard and Rodgers in a stacked set, put Cobb on the jet motion and throw a screen to him behind the blockers, and if they start sitting on that you just have Lazard and Rodgers fake the block and take off vertically, go/post combo.  

Basically I just wouldn't assume Cobb is going to take all of Rodgers's snaps because they are similar on paper.  There's enough differentiation in their game to slot both into the game plan, and enough talent in both to be worth doing so.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, MrBobGray said:

Biggest thing with Rodgers is he's actually much better downfield than Cobb is.  Cobb was never great at extending to catch the ball, he's much better hands-wise if it's coming at the frame of his body.  He's solid enough at finding the ball that combined with his quickness and speed when he was young he could create enough separation for Aaron to put it on him.  But it's not a strength, and you really want most of his targets to be within twenty yards.

Rodgers is different; he lacks Cobb's instant CoD skills and isn't as fast as rookie contract Cobb, but he can find it and go get it just about anywhere in his catch radius.  I think he'll see more snaps outside than people expect, especially when they like to run odd formations and use motion to force some weird match-ups.  And given both him and Cobb are as tough and aggressive as they come you can have both on the field and still get some blocking value.  Lazard and Rodgers in a stacked set, put Cobb on the jet motion and throw a screen to him behind the blockers, and if they start sitting on that you just have Lazard and Rodgers fake the block and take off vertically, go/post combo.  

Basically I just wouldn't assume Cobb is going to take all of Rodgers's snaps because they are similar on paper.  There's enough differentiation in their game to slot both into the game plan, and enough talent in both to be worth doing so.

It wouldn't be the first time that somebody has called me a Rodgers hater, but God am I terrified Rodgers is going to force feed Cobb to the detriment of the team until about Week 7 when Cobb's body finally gives out. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It wouldn't be the first time that somebody has called me a Rodgers hater, but God am I terrified Rodgers is going to force feed Cobb to the detriment of the team until about Week 7 when Cobb's body finally gives out. 

That might be just seeing 2+2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Life is too short to be terrified about something like that.

But seriously Rodgers will look Adams way first, he likes the downfield ball to MVS and last season was using Big Bob the way you want to use a receiving TE.

The problem in the past was he didn't trust most of the receivers. There is going to be a stack of guys he wants to throw to now so I doubt force feeding Cobb will be a problem. 

The Cobb move actually benefits Rodgers in that he will have less pressure to develop and evolve as a player initially.

TBH I think Rodgers is going to be a bit more Davante Adams than Randall Cobb. Someone shared a video of his workouts from the Senior Bowl awhile back and I saw a lot of Adams in Rodgers' release.