Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

goldfishwars

On 5/3/2021 at 1:24 AM, goldfishwars said:

30. New Orleans Saints

Saints Draft 2021: Draft Grades from the NFL World - Sports Illustrated New  Orleans Saints News, Analysis and More

This Class In One Sentence:
A reachy sort of draft which lacked the fireworks we were expecting heading into it and then didn't deliver obvious solutions to the open holes in that roster. 

Pre-Draft Needs 
QB, CB, WR, LB

Selections
1. 28. Payton Turner - Houston | DE |
2. 60. Pete Werner - Ohio State | LB |
3. 76. Paulson Adebo - Stanford | CB |
4. 133. Ian Book - Notre Dame | QB |
6. 206. Landon Young - Kentucky | OT |
7. 255. Kawaan Baker - South Alabama | WR |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
I think there’s stuff to like about all three of their first three picks. I’d feel more comfortable taking Payton Turner in the second round, than the first and ahead of the likes of Jayson Oweh, but he played like a wrecking ball at Houston and has untapped potential as a pass-rusher. 

On a similar theme, Werner has plenty to like – but he felt more like a third-round prospect than a second, but he has three-down potential at linebacker. Adebo felt about right at 76, an odd prospect who has been up and down in the eyes of analysts. Arguably the best corner available when selected, I would be surprised if he could slide right into the vacant spot opposite Lattimore. But who knows man, he’s an enigmatic prospect – it’s hard to get a handle on him. All outcomes are possible. 

What I Didn’t Like
Outside of the question of whether the Saints maximised the value of their picks (they didn’t), the bigger question around whether the roster got notably better after the draft is perhaps the more pertinent one when assessing this class. The pre-draft talk about the team coming up for a QB or a corner ended up in a selection for a raw edge rusher who may end up replacing the raw edge prospect which once cost the team two first round picks. 

There’s little to get excited about outside the first three rounds, and that excitement comes with obvious caveats. Ian Book has his fans, I’m not one of them. He’s got a sandlot game with limited physical tools at his disposal – it’s tough to see him thriving in the NFL with that. Landon Young is a former five-star lineman, and you wonder why when you pop on his tape. He’s a good athlete, who gives the Saints some hope he can develop further coming into the league. Kawaan Baker I know absolutely nothing about, other appears to be fast and explosive in a straight line (his agility testing was bad) and not the receiver prospect Saints fans had been hoping they might draft. 

See the source image

• Like 2

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Meet the 2021 NFL draft class

This Class In One Sentence:
The draft of a team whose championship winning starters are all coming back

Pre-Draft Needs 
Not sure?

Selections
1. 32. Joe Tryon - Washington | EDGE|
2. 64. Kyle Trask - Florida | QB |
3. 95. Robert Hainsey - Notre Dame | OT |
4. 129. Jaelon Darden - North Texas | WR |
5. 176. K. J. Britt - Auburn | LB |
7. 251. Chris Wilcox - BYU | CB |
7. 259. Grant Stuard - Houston | LB |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
I like that it’s a pretty solid draft for a team which didn’t have many needs at all. Joe Tryon was probably the prospect most commonly mocked to the Buccs at 32 and he certainly fits the prototype of the lengthy, powerful outside rushers they have there in JPP and Shaq Barrett. He was a productive in his one year as a starter in Washington but might be a year or two away from being a serious contributor due to the missed time and refinements needed in his technique. But he's exactly the kind of high-ceiling prospect the Buccs can afford to take and he's landing in a perfect spot for him to develop. 

I also liked the Hainsey and Darden picks in 4 and 5. Hainsey has some versatility, a tackle at Notre Dame and he also some center and guard at the Senior Bowl and played well there. He’s quick, agile and clean. Darden is absolutely tiny but put up gaudy stats at North Texas where he played at a totally different speed to everyone else on the field. I also don’t dislike the Trask selection in the 2nd round. He’s an aggressive thrower who is literally willing to get murdered in the pocket, two things which gets Arians fired up. I don’t think this all ends with him succeeding Brady when the time comes – but it’s probably worth the effort in finding out. 

What I Didn’t Like
There was no pick, as expected, to bolster the interior defensive line - but that doesn't feel egregious. Letting Creed Humphrey sail so close and then ending up with Kyle Trask perhaps wasn't ideal. Other than that, I suppose I didn’t like the fact that I nodded along to each selection without really feeling anything at all. I don’t know if that’s the sign of a good or bad haul. But it’s not like we need this team to whelm us any further. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Vegas picking three safeties, lol.

Do you think they identified a problem, or....

Honestly I don't mind the multiple picks to solve a problem, especially since Moerig was a great second round value, and the rest were later round choices. This is particularly true of safety, which is arguably the hardest position to scout/grade/project from college to the pros. Better than the process the Cowboys have used with linebackers at least.

1 minute ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Honestly I don't mind the multiple picks to solve a problem, especially since Moerig was a great second round value, and the rest were later round choices. This is particularly true of safety, which is arguably the hardest position to scout/grade/project from college to the pros. Better than the process the Cowboys have used with linebackers at least.

Yeah I don't either. I actually think it's smart.

One thing I would say about the Vegas draft - if they reversed their first 2 picks, Moehrig first then Leatherwood, I bet people grade that a bit higher. Ultimately it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Joe Tryon was probably the prospect most commonly mocked to the Buccs at 32 and he certainly fits the prototype of the lengthy, powerful outside rushers they have there in JPP and Shaq Barrett.

I'm a fan of moves like this from clubs. Get young developmental prospects around Vets similar to what you'd like them to actually develop into. It's a smart way to maximize potential value and possibly speed up their progression. Deeper teams are usually going to be picking much later and won't have a shot at the top players across the positions in the draft, but they'll more often than not have a better infrastructure and environment to actually develop the guys they do bring in.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah I don't either. I actually think it's smart.

One thing I would say about the Vegas draft - if they reversed their first 2 picks, Moehrig first then Leatherwood, I bet people grade that a bit higher. Ultimately it doesn't matter.

yeah if they were picked in reverse, it would look better. but knowing what we know, they could have grabbed a more deserving OT like Darrisaw (or even Jenkins) and still gotten Moehrig in the 2nd. thats what makes it painful. could have had it all

5 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

How you feeling about that O-Line?

Hard to say.   Im excited in ways, but there are big changes, so its too soon to say.

My guess is a slight improvement in the run blocking, and a somewhat notable drop off in pass blocking....at least early on.

God I miss Munchack...

On 5/3/2021 at 8:34 PM, NVRamsFan said:

Yes they did. Our draft was bad it's ok it's not the end of the world. It may turn out better in time but on paper right now it wasn't good. 

This is very true. One thing we need to keep in mind regarding draft reviews is that it's just an opinion.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Regardless of whether it's from a player, coach, media, or some dumb ignorant nobody fan named JAF-N72EX.  It's an opinion and it's okay for someone to have a different one than your own. Just because the majority of pundits and fans feel a certain way about one teams draft from another doesn't necessarily mean it will turn out that way in the end either.  Hindsight is 20/20 and all of us have been wrong many times and will no doubt be wrong again about some of these players this year.

We all have a certain selective group of College players that we think will transition well in the NFL and other we don't.  It's that simple. But again, that's just an opinion.  Some may even like a player pre-draft but may have doubts based on the team that drafted him, and that's okay too, within reason ofcourse.

For example, I really like the Bears' draft and getting Fields (since I thought there were only 2 QBs who were sure hits--Law/Fields) and pundits by large seem to agree with this.  But there are some who liked Fields pre-draft but question him now only because he was drafted by a franchise who have spent the last 60 years getting the QB position wrong and I can't/won't disagree with this logic.  I respectfully disagree with the opinion in this instance, but I understand the skepticism.

TLDR; The point is, at the end of the day it's just an opinion and nothing worth getting bent out of shape about.  Respect the amount of work and time that goes into it and move on.

• Like 1