Texas / OU talking to SEC?

Texansfan713

13 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Didn't read the whole thread, but there are logistical problems going forward

Surely Big 12 and Pac 12 will have to consolidate. It wouldn't shock me to see a couple ACC try to go to SEC and the rest consolidated with B1G as conferences try to compete with SEC

But there are going to be formerly elite programs that wallow in mediocrity because of the level of competition in the SEC. you can have 2 elite teams in Big 12, and 3-4 elite teams in SEC. But when you combine them, by definition you will not be able to have 5-6 teams remain elite forever in the SEC. An Auburn or a Texas are going to become a Tennessee or Ole Miss and just be overwhelmed by the conference

I feel like the only real counter move the PAC 12 and Big Ten has, aside from blowing Texas/OU away with a better offer, would be some sort of merger into a real super conference or money wise probably some PAC 12 schools leaving to join the Big ten. If they are trying to stick to the academics focus they’ve had.

Like you take the AAU schools from the PAC 12 and bring them over plus pick up a now free Kansas.

USC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Oregon
Washington, Arizona and Colorado also are AAU and bring great growing markets in Seattle, Arizona and Denver…but maybe not guarantees.

East
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Maryland
Rutgers
Wisconsin

West
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Oregon
Washington
Arizona/Colorado/Iowa State
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota

Makes a 22 school super league, gets into most of the major markets aside from Texas. Could be more if they would try to go into the ACC and get like a Virginia (get that NOVA market around DC). 

If the college playoffs are going to expand to 12, a super league works since the whole “they didn’t win their conference” thing will be dead anyways.

In terms of logistics and sense, not super smart. For the Big Ten though to more or less add LA, The Bay Area, Oregon, Seattle, Denver/Phoenix, Kansas City and more to their markets it makes a lot of sense. 

But it’s really the only counter I could see that would be on the level or really bigger. Like adding just Kansas is fine, helps with Basketball…which will only get bigger. But like an Iowa State? Doesn’t really seem like an answer to the SEC.

The only other move I guess would be trying to sow the seeds of a full on ACC breakup. Which would help break up the contract rights into the 2030s

Virginia, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech all being AAU schools and bring good markets (as is Pitt but I’d assume Penn State would be against them getting added). You add Kansas, along with Notre Dame for at least all their other sports and you get a similar big boost. With the added bonus of even better basketball and getting south to help with recruiting. Could be even better if they bent the academics for Clemson, but I wouldn’t think they’d do that a lot…they apparently said no to Oklahoma already because of it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
20 hours ago, candyman93 said:

But they’re an AAU school

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

I'd be interested in a few PAC12 (Cal, UCLA, Stanford) or ACC (UNC, Duke, UVA) schools, and that's it. Texas would have been fine if they wouldn't mandate OU coming with them.

Otherwise, pass.

Why are we ignoring the obvious. If A&M doesn't want to be in the SEC with Texas then move to the B1G. 🤠🤑

51 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Why are we ignoring the obvious. If A&M doesn't want to be in the SEC with Texas then move to the B1G. 🤠🤑

I'm game, if only for the weekly bashing of A&M Delusions met with @ramssuperbowl99's Take and the groups renewed interest in seeing if @catcheryea / @RuralBill can survive as 2 'different people' in 2 different conferences, or if he forgets to switch logins and gets caught catfishing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

this doesn't seem right

Lol, no other conference has the depth the Big 10 has IMO. They sent more teams to the tournament than any other conference last year, has two 1 seeds and two 2 seeds. 4 of the top 10 teams in the country were from the Big 10. 

Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin, Ohio State, Illinois and Purdue is as strong of a top 6 as any other conference including the ACC, especially with the downfall of NC and Cuse recently.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Lol, no other conference has the depth the Big 10 has IMO. They sent more teams to the tournament than any other conference last year, has two 1 seeds and two 2 seeds. 4 of the top 10 teams in the country were from the Big 10. 

Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin, Ohio State, Illinois and Purdue is as strong of a top 6 as any other conference including the ACC, especially with the downfall of NC and Cuse recently.

the big 10 hasn't had a basketball national champion in 20 years

since then the sec has had 4 different teams win 12 bcs/cfp championships

• Like 1