What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

Just finished up season 1 of Jack Ryan on Prime.  It was pretty good.  Krasinski and Pierce had good chemistry together, and it was a nice taut self contained story.  I'll roll into season 2 sometime here in the next day or two.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Just finished up season 1 of Jack Ryan on Prime.  It was pretty good.  Krasinski and Pierce had good chemistry together, and it was a nice taut self contained story.  I'll roll into season 2 sometime here in the next day or two.

Oh I always thought his name was Jah Cryin’

Modern Asian horror is superior to modern American (North and South) horror in primarily two ways (in my opinion).  You can add British horror to the Americas.  You could basically just say all foreign language horror is superior to English horror, but add Spanish to the English levels.

(obviously both English and Spanish horror has exceptions), but...

First, more diverse and numerous character types.  They blend so many different features in so many ways.  The crazy, loud psychotic killer or the quiet, no words psychotic killer. The crazy drunk badass, the crazy drunk moron... They have so many different character archetypes that have so many interchangeable features.

Second, the constant WTFing, one upping aspect of their horror.  You get an American horror and there’s one threat.  One enemy.  Very little evolution of or variety to that enemy.  The best you can hope for is the wings reveal (Jeepers Creepers), or the variation to the nightmares (Freddy).  Typically, however, it’s the same thing.  A lumbering invalid in Jason.  A beyond psychotic and into pure evil Michael Meyers.  There’s no change to the threat.  It’s the same.  It’s unchanging.  Unwavering and relentless, but unchanging, which inevitably leads to it not being scary, no longer incongruous after the first 13 times you’ve seen it strike.

With a lot of foreign horror, however, there are 10,000 things going on at once.  Sweet Home is a perfect example of this.  It’s not zombies, and it’s not monsters, it’s just a whole bunch of WTF.  There are no rules to this threat.  No discernible rules at least (only on episode 3, but still).

And this is one of the reasons why I love The Thing so much.  The monster is different every time.

Anyhoo, drinking rant over.  I thoroughly enjoy Sweet Home.  It’s on the thoroughly enjoyable, but not particularly great (for those fart sniffers out there) level.  There’s much better television out there, but not a lot more enjoyable for someone like me.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

90 Day Fiancé 

Love this train wreck 😂

I watched one season of that and it's hilarious but somehow intriguing.... I can only watch so many 'smut' shows, so KUWTK it is :) ha 

On 3/18/2021 at 8:45 PM, Outpost31 said:

Modern Asian horror is superior to modern American (North and South) horror in primarily two ways (in my opinion).  You can add British horror to the Americas.  You could basically just say all foreign language horror is superior to English horror, but add Spanish to the English levels.

(obviously both English and Spanish horror has exceptions), but...

First, more diverse and numerous character types.  They blend so many different features in so many ways.  The crazy, loud psychotic killer or the quiet, no words psychotic killer. The crazy drunk badass, the crazy drunk moron... They have so many different character archetypes that have so many interchangeable features.

Second, the constant WTFing, one upping aspect of their horror.  You get an American horror and there’s one threat.  One enemy.  Very little evolution of or variety to that enemy.  The best you can hope for is the wings reveal (Jeepers Creepers), or the variation to the nightmares (Freddy).  Typically, however, it’s the same thing.  A lumbering invalid in Jason.  A beyond psychotic and into pure evil Michael Meyers.  There’s no change to the threat.  It’s the same.  It’s unchanging.  Unwavering and relentless, but unchanging, which inevitably leads to it not being scary, no longer incongruous after the first 13 times you’ve seen it strike.

With a lot of foreign horror, however, there are 10,000 things going on at once.  Sweet Home is a perfect example of this.  It’s not zombies, and it’s not monsters, it’s just a whole bunch of WTF.  There are no rules to this threat.  No discernible rules at least (only on episode 3, but still).

And this is one of the reasons why I love The Thing so much.  The monster is different every time.

Anyhoo, drinking rant over.  I thoroughly enjoy Sweet Home.  It’s on the thoroughly enjoyable, but not particularly great (for those fart sniffers out there) level.  There’s much better television out there, but not a lot more enjoyable for someone like me.

This is a pretty good summation. Similar feelings about sweet home.