Jaire Extended for 4 Years

Packerraymond

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

That's kind of what I was alluding to. I was expecting 4/100 because of that cap going up. 4/84 seems like a bargain, especially IF it's a true extension.

It is really hard not to be excited over JA, Stokes and RD for the next 3 years.  Now all we have to do is try to keep our safeties on the roster.

It is just, just an odd feeling having a 3 deep cornerback room.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It is really hard not to be excited over JA, Stokes and RD for the next 3 years.  Now all we have to do is try to keep our safeties on the roster.

It is just, just an odd feeling having a 3 deep cornerback room.

I'm surprised Amos has not been extended.  He's such a solid player and seems like a good leader.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It would be very interesting to know just how many plays were checked to passes from runs over the past 2 seasons.  It seemed to me like Rodgers loved playing pitch and catch with Adams when the correct looks were identified.  And you simply cannot say it wasn't worth it, the success was amazing.  But this year will be different.  Even if Aaron sees it, his WR's may not.  So let's hand the ball off more and pray that the play action stuff opens up easier catches for these new WR's.  This is not an offense where Aaron can drop back and rely on a WR reading a defense and being on the same page with him....  It needs to be simpler.  And if MLF really does marry his passing game to his run game, it stands to reason that we need to run more to setup the MLF passing game...

Agree on many points but I partly disagree on others. 

• Pass sets up the run. For the running game to work, the passing game needs to be both used and be effective.  We'll see.  
  • Not sure that "we need to run more".  But maybe we "can" run more? 
  • We already ran a lot.  
  • I hope we just run more plays.  A TD drive has more volume of both run and pass than a 1-2-3-punt.  I hope the whole offense is better, (and the defense), so that we simply have the ball more and run more plays?  
  • I hope run-blocking is much better.  Run blocking was bad.  A 3rd-string LT, first-year-starting-LG, rookie-center-then-backup-center, rookie RG, and 2nd/3rd/4th-string RT... run-blocking last year was lousy.  The passing game was also nothing great.  Without an excellent passing game to set up the run, and without a strong-blocking line to run behind, the run-game wasn't very good, especially against good defenses.  Run blocking may not be lots better, I realize...  But the o-line might hopefully be significantly better at both run-blocking AND pass-blocking?  If Bakhti is back; if Jenkins gets back soon enough; if Nijman will be more experienced and confident; Runyan a year better; 2nd-year Myers could be MUCH better than Patrick; 2nd-year Newman could be variably improved over rookie Newman; perhaps rookie Rhyan will be better than either rookie-Newman or improved-2nd-year-Newman both?  EVERYTHING might flow a lot better, both pass and run, **if** the line plays a lot better?   
  • I support checking out of run plays as often being appropriate.  Trying to force a run play when it's not going to work, where's the value?  
  • Good defenses sometimes messed with Aaron.  He's trying to diagnose down to the last second, while they are constantly disguising and re-shaping.  So sometimes sticking to a pre-called run, or to a pre-planned built-in pass option could have advantages.  
  • If MLF's run plays don't have pre-planned built-in pass options, then MLF is a dope.  
  • I agree that simpler built-in pass options may be needed.  Expecting inexperienced receivers to be constantly adjusting as the defense jumps around and the clock ticks down, agree that's tougher for them than for Adams.  Pass-options need to be sufficiently uncomplicated so that guys like Watkins, Watkins, Deguara, Davis, and Dillon can handle them.  

The whole principle of the MLF offense is to generate ambiguity over whether or not you are running or passing out of a given set, motion, or even initial look once the ball is snapped. This is not "pass to set up the run" or "run to set up the pass" thing this is a "we're going to be able to run when we need to and pass when we need to" thing.

• Like 1

I love it. I didn't think this would happen until camp, but I was positive it would happen. You don't let a stud like Alexander out the door, post injury or not. This also IMO means the Packers are not done building this team. Can't wait to see what this front office does next. Loving this offseason so far! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

They'd have to convert that entire 13.3 into signing bonus then correct? The 5th year is all base salary I believe. Certainly possible.

I mean, it's possible that's part of the signing bonus.  I don't think he's keeping that $13.3M salary.  He's going from a $13.3M salary to making $30M+ this year.  He's almost assuredly having his base salary going down to minimum, and then the pro-rated part of the signing bonus ($6M) which would put his cap hit around $7M.  That's the maximum savings of $6.3M.

3 hours ago, craig said:

Not sure I'm tracking.  We understand his base for this year to now be $1.1; and we understand the signing bonus to be spread over 5 years. 

• So is it really $84/4 covering 22-23-24-25, with 26 just being a void year in order spread the bonus?  
  • Or is it really somehow a true 4-year extension, So that it's effectively $84/4 on top of the $13/1 deal, so it's a composite $97/5 package; but the $13/1 got re-allocated to reduce the first-year cap?  
  • I assume it's just the void-year process, right?  

Reading between the lines of Schefter's tweet.  Looks like it's a $1M base salary, a $30M signing bonus (pro-rated over 5 years), and then a '23 roster bonus of $11.5M due in early March.  I believe it's structured similar to Marshon Lattimore's.