Madden 23

NYRaider

15 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Even ignoring the Derrick Henry of it all, I wonder if the stats should have been 2018-2021 considering this should be the 2022 season. Otherwise my character missed the entire 2021 season with whatever injury made him miss most of the 2020 season. 

Oh right I missed that. So I guess you kinda have to draw your own conclusions as to why you’re in this spot, which seems totally EA to not even remotely flesh out the story here for an experimental kind of superstar mode. 

57 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

New Madden is hard as hell.

That targeting passing system is one thing in practice mode.

Use it in game & it's a ***** to get used too. Gonna take lots of practice.

Game speed is fast, but I always play on all Madden.

Isnt that just the QB Vision thing they had in like....Madden 2007? If so its nice that they brought that back forcing the user to do more than just hit a button.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Isnt that just the QB Vision thing they had in like....Madden 2007? If so its nice that they brought that back forcing the user to do more than just hit a button.

It’s more like a complex version of what was already in the game. Instead of tapping the receiver icon for lob passes or holding it for bullet passes it also involves using the trigger and toggle buttons as well. So with PS5 you have to hold the X button (or circle, square or triangle buttons) with your right hand, while simultaneously holding up and left/right with the LS and holding down L2. Meanwhile there is an arching meter above the WR’s head and you need to release everything before the arch fills up 

20 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

It’s more like a complex version of what was already in the game. Instead of tapping the receiver icon for lob passes or holding it for bullet passes it also involves using the trigger and toggle buttons as well. So with PS5 you have to hold the X button (or circle, square or triangle buttons) with your right hand, while simultaneously holding up and left/right with the LS and holding down L2. Meanwhile there is an arching meter above the WR’s head and you need to release everything before the arch fills up 

all while trying to look at your QB in the pocket to know when you need to get rid of it.

That sounds good though, make it tougher for all of these online nerds who spam the same 3 plays all the way down field.

Funny (but also sad) story...

When I subbed to EA Play earlier this year, I noted that almost every time I simmed in franchise in Madden 22, that freaking 72 overall Taylor Heinike was an MVP candidate each year, and leading Washington to title games.    

Flash forward til now...and Im watching to see what Mr Hurriccane thinks about franchise in Madden 23, and this happens... (at 1:51:03)

Same issues....every single year.   

Sad.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

My thoughts on the game after ~8 hours

I only play online head-to-head.  I wish franchise mode was good, but it will never be to the depth that I want it to be so I don't even bother with it.  And I don't have the time to pick out the best sliders.

I have also consistently played Madden H2H, so I do think I have enough experience to be able to compare this to previous versions

Positive:

- This is the most balanced offense and defense have been in a long time.  

- The pass defense is GREAT.  Zone in particular works really well.  I don't know what settings they were running in the clip that was posted above, but so far I have very few issues with how pass defense works.  In fact, this is probably the best pass defense has ever been.  With that said, it is early.  Nobody knows the money plays yet.  But so far I've noticed DBs and LBs react so much better in the passing game

- Scrambling is nerfed to hell.  You can still do it, but it isn't anywhere close to being as easy as it used to be.  And if you rely on it, you will lose

- The run defense is equally as good.  I'm also a big fan of the tackling animations, albeit maybe not the tackling itself

- Pass rush is great in this game and BLITZES ACTUALLY WORK.  My god the blitzes in this game are so good

-  Just as they nerfed scrambling, so did they passing while rolling out of the pocket.  If you try it, it won't go far (unless you have one of the guys who can actually do it well in real life).  This alone fixes a bunch of issues that came with passing in past games.  If you want to pass, you will largely do it from the pocket

- Power backs feel like power backs, but that takes us into the negatives...

Negative:

- While the tackling animations are great, but the tackling can be really, really bad.  Guys with decent break-tackle ratings will shed just about anything ie Josh Jacobs.  I do like how open field tackles aren't as easy or as automatic as they used to be, but still

- Receivers catch EVERYTHING.  

- Kick returns are FARRRRRRRR too easy.  I've seen 4 kick returns for touchdowns already, 2 by me.  It is crazy how easy it is.  

Neutral

- Did they nerf passing too much?  So many interceptions in the games I play, both by me and my opponent. 

- I agree with showtime, not a fan of the passing mechanics they tried to introduce.  But they let you switch back to classic mode, so I won't call it a negative.  More options the better.

The game isn't perfect and if you don't care about H2H, then I 100% wouldn't buy this game.  

But this game is a clear upgrade over other Madden's when talking strictly gameplay.  Which as I've argued for years, has never been the biggest issue with the game.  I wish they would put more effort into presenting the game better and adding more things to do and customization options.  So I get not wanting to buy the game if that is your make-or-break. 

Now will I buy this game?  Probably, but going to wait for a discount.  Maybe when it is in the $40 range.  But I do think this has the potential to be the most skill-based Madden H2H.  Really the only consistent BS I have seen is the in-traffic catching every single receiver is capable of making.  

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, Wyld Stallyns said:

Can you Turn that off? 

If you're on PC don't buy this game. It's literally the same as last year but the player models look like they came from NFL Blitz.

Same playbooks, same animations, same awful RPO system, same everything. I was hoping they would at least tweak the stamina system for mobile QB's but nope - if you wanna run around with Lamar too bad. If someone touches you it's either a fumble or your stamina goes to red for the rest of the game, meaning his 96 speed becomes 26. It's so stupid.

Seems like this game is only worth it if you have a next-gen console, which idk I get but it's disappointing PC got absolutely shafted.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls