Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

AR has a response to Brees comments....

"A few years ago we were criticized for locking arms in solidarity before the game. It has NEVER been about an anthem or a flag. Not then. Not now. Listen with an open heart, let's educate ourselves, and then turn word and thought into action"  -  Aaron Rodgers

/////

"The reality is, when Colin Kaepernick took that knee he was not doing it to disrespect the people that have fought for this country"  -   Michael Irvin

/////

Drew Brees was asked about a "perceived conflict" between his statement and his message on social media in addition. He also was asked if this could create any division in the locker room where players such as Malcolm Jenkins and Demario Davis are leaders in the Players Coalition.

"I love and respect my teammates and I stand right there with them in regards to fighting for racial equality and justice," Brees said. "I also stand with my grandfathers who risked their lives for this country and countless other military men and women who do it on a daily basis."

Some of the most pointed criticism came from Jenkins, who signed a deal with the Saints this offseason and was teammate of Brees' from 2009-2013.

An emotional Jenkins posted a 4 minute, 20 second video to his IGTV page during which he directly addressed Brees.

"Drew Brees, if you don't understand how hurtful and insensitive your comments are, you are part of the problem. To think that because your grandfathers served this country and you have a great respect for your flag that everyone else should have the same ideals and thoughts that you do is ridiculous, and it shows that you don't know history. Because when our grandfathers fought for this country and served and they came back, they didn't come back to a hero's welcome. They came back and got attacked for wearing their uniforms. They came back to people, to racism, to complete violence. And here we are with the world on fire and you continue to first criticize how we peacefully protest because it doesn't fit with what you do and your beliefs without ever acknowledging the fact that a man was murdered at the hands of police in front of us all and it has been continuing for centuries. That the same brothers that you break the huddle down with every single game, the same guys that you bleed with and go to battle with every single day go home to communities that have been decimated. Drew, unfortunately ... unfortunately, you're somebody who doesn't understand their privilege"

Wide receiver Michael Thomas appeared to respond to Brees' initial remarks on Twitter, writing "he don't know no better" and then "we don't care if you don't agree and whoever else how about that."

Emmanuel Sanders, who signed with New Orleans this offseason, tweeted "Smh.. Ignorant."

////

Not all peace and harmony in the Saints locker room.......

Edited by Leader

5 hours ago, Leader said:

:snip:

nderstand how hurtful and insensitive your comments are, you are part of the problem. To think that because your grandfathers served this country and you have a great respect for your flag that everyone else should have the same ideals and thoughts that you do is ridiculous, and it shows that you don't know history.

:snip:

There is a lot of the bolded going on for the last 20 or so years.  And seemingly nobody will give.  I blame schools and parents for not teaching people how to have a disagreement constructively.  I also blame dishonest news organizations for giving their slant to a story, rather than just telling the facts and letting us decide for ourselves.  Push division, get division.  Oppose thought police, even when they agree with your stance.  Eventually they are coming for you when you commit wrongthink.  

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Spent about 20 minutes breaking down Jenkins comments and writing down my thoughts.

Then deleted it all in order to not get the thread locked. You're welcome. 

Brilliant move! I've got very strong feelings on this subject, but going to walk away from it! 

I'd love to have an honest conversation about the base cause of systematic racism, which does exist. I'd also like to have a conversation of how to begin to change it, but the conversation would go off the rails quickly! 

I hope all my fellow Packer fans are well! If you are a spiritual type, pray for your country. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Spent about 20 minutes breaking down Jenkins comments and writing down my thoughts.

Then deleted it all in order to not get the thread locked. You're welcome. 

Yea, no reason to go there. People are never going to agree nor will a few posts change their minds. 

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Let's just talk about sharks here too. The only way you all can follow rules.

It's my understanding that "race" cant be discussed here. Fine. None of the "Brees discussion" was about race. It was completely NFL oriented and it's certainly topical.

The Packers have put out a really good video compilation of the players and coaches making comments calling for change.
Apparently, even though its both Packer and football related - its too adult a topic for this forum. Oh well. I recommend people find and view it. On with the shark discussions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's my understanding that "race" cant be discussed here. Fine. None of the "Brees discussion" was about race. It was completely NFL oriented and it's certainly topical.

The Packers have put out a really good video compilation of the players and coaches making comments calling for change.
Apparently, even though its both Packer and football related - its too adult a topic for this forum. Oh well. I recommend people find and view it. On with the shark discussions.

Talking about sharks is better.  Football conversation is better.  Good job by Packers … but some folks (adults included) are tired of political correctness in every topic.

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

so what exactly is the plan for the offseason? OTAs are out as far as I know, but is Training Camp up in the air?

What are the rookies even doing. Just memorizing the playbook?

Lots of Kahoot quizzes.

Coaches monitor iPad usage.

Prerecorded coaching videos. 

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Lots of Kahoot quizzes.

Coaches monitor iPad usage.

Prerecorded coaching videos. 

Really got to limit the screen time with the young ones these days. An hour a day max then throw em out back of Nitschke complex to play with sticks and make a tire swing. 

• Like 3

Regards the Packers "Change" video...

Matt Schneidman -   Mason Crosby on the Pat McAfee Show: "Aaron actually put together some of the things that we said in the deal and we all kind of read off a video and our media group spliced it together and made it really nice ... we wanted to be that voice going in front for the Packer organization."

• Like 1