Jump to content

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

So apparently Godfall, Deathloop, Kena, Solar Ash, Bugsnax, Oddworld, Jett, Little Devil Inside, Ghostwire, Stray, and Project Athia are all timed PlayStation console exclusives.

They've already confirmed Godfall on the PC this year.  So it's going to be a PS5 title only at launch?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, showtime said:

They've already confirmed Godfall on the PC this year.  So it's going to be a PS5 title only at launch?

No no, console exclusive meaning PlayStation will be the only console these games are available on at first... They'll still be available on pc though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, showtime said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but a 2070 super?  Where is that info at?

It's not an apples to apples comparison as frequency and teraflops aren't everything but given that the ps5 GPU has mostly the same features as the current Nvidia cards (namely ray tracing) it's pretty fair to compare them.

So the 2070 super has a max clock speed of 1.77GHz and achieves a little over 9 teraflops.

The custom RDNA2 GPU in the PS5 has a max clock speed of 2.23GHz achieving 10.3 teraflops.

Here's one article that talks about it, note that the rumors from this article actually understated the power of the PS5 GPU as the confirmed specs actually topped what was rumored.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/news/report-ps5-gpu-outperforms-a-geforce-rtx-2070-super%3famp=true

The Xbox Series X GPU is even more powerful, although it has a slower Max clock speed than the PS5 GPU it still comes in at over 12 teraflops.

Here's an article breaking down the comparisons to current PC GPUs for the series X

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/on-paper-the-gpu-in-the-xbox-series-x-is-faster-than-a-geforce-rtx-2080-super/

Again, it's not an apples to apples comparison and clock speed and teraflops aren't everything but there's also optimization on consoles that's much higher than that on PC so it's not at all a stretch to think that with equal pure horsepower the console GPUs should be able to outperform their PC comparisons.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

It's not an apples to apples comparison as frequency and teraflops aren't everything but given that the ps5 GPU has mostly the same features as the current Nvidia cards (namely ray tracing) it's pretty fair to compare them.

So the 2070 super has a max clock speed of 1.77GHz and achieves a little over 9 teraflops.

The custom RDNA2 GPU in the PS5 has a max clock speed of 2.23GHz achieving 10.3 teraflops.

Here's one article that talks about it, note that the rumors from this article actually understated the power of the PS5 GPU as the confirmed specs actually topped what was rumored.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/news/report-ps5-gpu-outperforms-a-geforce-rtx-2070-super%3famp=true

The Xbox Series X GPU is even more powerful, although it has a slower Max clock speed than the PS5 GPU it still comes in at over 12 teraflops.

Here's an article breaking down the comparisons to current PC GPUs for the series X

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/on-paper-the-gpu-in-the-xbox-series-x-is-faster-than-a-geforce-rtx-2080-super/

Again, it's not an apples to apples comparison and clock speed and teraflops aren't everything but there's also optimization on consoles that's much higher than that on PC so it's not at all a stretch to think that with equal pure horsepower the console GPUs should be able to outperform their PC comparisons.

 

We're likely getting graphics cards this year that will outperform consoles. The 3080 TI Super or whatever the heck they're calling it supposedly leaked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

We're likely getting graphics cards this year that will outperform consoles. The 3080 TI Super or whatever the heck they're calling it supposedly leaked. 

Oh almost certainly but I was mainly pointing it out in regards to people being worried about the price of the consoles. You'd have to spend over $1,000 easily to put together a PC that could match the performance of these new consoles... So it makes sense that they might be a bit more expensive than in the past.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

Oh almost certainly but I was mainly pointing it out in regards to people being worried about the price of the consoles. You'd have to spend over $1,000 easily to put together a PC that could match the performance of these new consoles... So it makes sense that they might be a bit more expensive than in the past.

Except PCs are more versatile in use. 

Plus with record unemployment and a bad economy, an expensive gaming system should be low on priorities. Sony/Microsoft will likely price themselves out of a lot of potential customers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Except PCs are more versatile in use. 

Plus with record unemployment and a bad economy, an expensive gaming system should be low on priorities. Sony/Microsoft will likely price themselves out of a lot of potential customers. 

Could be, depends how much they can weigh against what they’ll make. Microsoft is in a better spot because they can sell Gamepass and Live on top of one off sales for Halo with new customers, so they can take a bit more of a loss. (On top of being one of the richest companies and being able to take the hit regardless). 
 

neither is going to be $700, I doubt either will be even $600. It’s suicide. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 3:41 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Did you think the first game was worth $60?    Because you could beat that in about 10-14 hours, if you didnt play the sidequests and just went straight through the story.

I imagine SpiderMan Miles Morales will end up being similar to what Batman: Arkham Origins was to Arkham City.....a stand alone game and new story that largely reused most of Arkham City's assets and settings, but made enhancements and tweaks to make it feel relatively new.

I personally have no issue with it.   As long as they can make it feel like a new experience in terms of story and sidequests.

I beat the game and am almost done with the DLC and I can easily say I spent at least 20 hrs just swinging around the city for fun. I’ll easily do the same with this one. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Could be, depends how much they can weigh against what they’ll make. Microsoft is in a better spot because they can sell Gamepass and Live on top of one off sales for Halo with new customers, so they can take a bit more of a loss. (On top of being one of the richest companies and being able to take the hit regardless). 
 

neither is going to be $700, I doubt either will be even $600. It’s suicide. 

It might just be me, but if I am going to spend $700 for video games, I'd rather build a desktop that will have an unlimited shelf life, provided I upgrade components.  

This may be the time where I pick one console and start PC gaming more, since I already have a laptop for gaming. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It might just be me, but if I am going to spend $700 for video games, I'd rather build a desktop that will have an unlimited shelf life, provided I upgrade components.  

This may be the time where I pick one console and start PC gaming more, since I already have a laptop for gaming. 

Yeah if they are going to be anywhere near that high, I’d probably do the same and upgrade my PC. 
 

Bonus would be I could use it when I have motion graphics or video projects for work. Those eat up my laptop. A solid state, 32+ gigs of ram would make that go way smoother for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I just hope they really did fix the cooling solution. It's absurd to me that my PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine when I run Apex Legends or Call of Casual. 

I imagine their solution to the cooling issues is the reason the PS5 is so massive in size. I guess the only other question mark then becomes how they'll handle their variable frequency for the CPU. If they push it as aggressively as they've said (keeping it close to max speed in 95% of situations) then that might still produce heating issues and require the fan to speed up/become loud. On the other hand, if they throttle the speed of the CPU to avoid having to ramp up the fan, then the system doesn't reach it's max performance output. Hopefully the size of the PS5 is big enough to simply be able to do both (max CPU most of the time without the fan RPM matching it), but it's actually somewhat unclear. Based on last generation you'd assume they know how important this is to consumers, but there are also rumors that this wasn't the target CPU speed for Sony and they bumped it up to match what Microsoft is doing. Again, this could easily lead to the scenario of the fan kicking on more often than originally planned or at higher speeds, making more sound.

In any case, I'd be surprised if it was anywhere as loud as the PS4. I think Sony will do a good job with it.

Edited by elevators_rule
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...