1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

10 hours ago, vegas492 said:

First off, I dig that rep and the effort.

But I'm going to be a little critical.  He's still quite sloppy.  Hands are not good.  Feet get tangled up.  Still not much bend once he's gotten that shoulder.

And that is me nit picking.  Almost to an extreme.

Here is me not not picking.  Pretty good burst out of the snap.  Wide, but not too wide, so the tackle can't just set inside, or just set outside.  It's a good first few steps.  That's a lot of power coming at the tackle and it is low.  For a large man, he was able to win that leverage battle and I dare say, he did it without thinking.  Hips sunk a little and he was able to get under the armit of the tackle very nicely.

Now...if he can take that rush and learn how to rip that right arm up and under the armpit, violently,  to disengage at that point, I have no doubt he will fly at he QB.  He'll close that ground very, very quickly.

He's come a long way.  And that rep?  I'm happy it was a sack.  Thrilled for him.  Those little things that I think he can do better are teachable, very teachable.  To me?  This is a great sign for Gary.

His feet are tangled up? He's being held which is why his steps look a little choppy. Does it matter the guy is clearly holding him? 

Every time this guy does something everyone jumps in and tries to pick fly **** out of pepper to discount it! Everybody just relax a little bit on the guy. 

Not trying to come down on you @vegas492 but this is nauseating regarding the scrutiny this guy is getting on this board! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golfman said:

His feet are tangled up? He's being held which is why his steps look a little choppy. Does it matter the guy is clearly holding him? 

Every time this guy does something everyone jumps in and tries to pick fly **** out of pepper to discount it! Everybody just relax a little bit on the guy. 

Not trying to come down on you @vegas492 but this is nauseating regarding the scrutiny this guy is getting on this board! 

You need to chillax.   It's a message board.  His sack was posted, and it was discussed. 

I said I was nitpicking.  Also gave him huge props.

As far as the "holding" goes, holding happens on every play.  That is why learning how to handfight is so important, keep those hands off of yah.  If he keeps watching and learning from Z, that handfighting stuff will become second nature to him.

I loved the Gary rep there.  It wasn't a clean sack, there was a little bit of a coverage sack aspect.

That is a clean and fast win if he doesn't stumble, if he handfights better and if he learns to sink those hips and rip up and through the armpit.

Those are all teachable.  What can't really be taught is how he attacked that rep with what the OT gave him.  You can't really teach his natural size and power either, and what I LOVED about that rep was how he naturally got low and used some leverage.

This rep is so much better than the useless junk he was throwing out there in pre-season.  And it is great to see.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 5

On 11/22/2019 at 10:54 AM, Arthur Penske said:

How can anyone have such strong feelings like 10 weeks into a rookie season?

It's called an agenda. Haters gonna hate.

For those of us actually breaking down the situation we understood the process. We thought there would be a bump in production after the bye and here we are!

In the last two games he's had 31 snaps on defense. He's had 7 tackles (6  solo, 1 assist), 2 pressures and 1 sack... Bingo!

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

It's called an agenda. Haters gonna hate.

For those of us actually breaking down the situation we understood the process. We thought there would be a bump in production after the bye and here we are!

In the last two games he's had 31 snaps on defense. He's had 7 tackles (6  solo, 1 assist), 2 pressures and 1 sack... Bingo!

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Well, that's quite solid ... hope he keeps making strides and produce for us the rest of the year.

and 2 TFL.

In 31 combined snaps against Washington and Chicago, Gary amassed seven tackles (two for a loss) and a sack of Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

Long ways to go for him to live up to #12 overall, but better to see him starting to do some things than not.

6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Didn't he have one really nice pass rush across the guard against the Vikings? I could be wrong but I thought I saw one play where he was in the backfield is less than a 2nd but Cousins threw the ball away. 

It was a solid rep, then he was in on the tackle on the receiver too.

Edited by deathstar