Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

The thing is- you're seeing a lot of spread down south where restrictions are lax. The rapidly increasing spread dates back to when they started to reopen. Up north, where restrictions are stricter, the spread is slowing down regardless of protests. Realistically- we won't have a true grasp of how much of the spread is caused by the protests for another few weeks as exponential growth needs to take full effect. Even then- it's going to be hard to differentiate between whether it was due to lax regulations or protesting. If the north east is still steadily declining, then I think we can safely say the protests haven't caused a huge spike. Of course- masks may make a big difference. Each area may be effected differently due to how many people were wearing masks. 

Many experts and public officials have recommended protesters get tested. That being said- at the time of the anti lock-down protests we didn't know how effective masks were at preventing the spread. We have a better idea now, so while many of us are still worried about this creating exponential growth for the spread; we're still hopeful that masks will make a difference. I know I personally was extremely worried that many of those who took part in the anti lock-down protests were going to get infected, but that didn't seem to happen, which gives me hope that being outside + masks may slow the spread dramatically. 

Still, I get your point, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about these protests causing surges. They won't help the numbers- that's for sure.

Finally, it depends on which news outlets you're watching- the right winged outlets are going to say exactly what you're saying. The left winged outlets are likely going to gloss over the fact. We live in a divided country, and it's blatantly obvious by the different tones of the media. I recommend staying away from the extreme news outlets. 

Oh I know it's all politically fueled, that's the part that pisses of off... We as a society can't put politics aside for anything, even a pandemic... Humans really are a pathetic species tbh.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Yeah your joke meter is broken.

To be fair, it’s harder to convey sarcasm online and if you haven’t been following this entire thread. Emojis are your friend.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Unfortunately some people don’t care about projections because if they’re not 100% correct they call them fake news because they don’t understand what the word projection means.

Some people are just going to need to see hospitals at max capacity. 

Again.

Because NYC a couple months ago didn’t happen.

Did NYC ever hit capacity?  I feel like we saw it coming more than 2 weeks in advance, and were able to slow it down just enough to keep it under capacity.

It seems that Houston is going to be worse.  I don't know how they're going to slow this down enough in the span of 2 weeks to not hit capacity.  It's just not enough time without any steps being taken to mitigate it.

9 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

the problem with opening up too early is it's always going to be really hard to want to bring people in for a second lockdown for two reasons

the first is that once people have that taste of freedom they aren't going to want to cede it away again

now

the second is pure political stubbornness, we know that leaders don't like to admit they were wrong and we've already seen some doubling down on failed measures by leaders worldwide

I'd argue the third reason would be the people who need to work to pay bills. It's easy to tell people to stay quarantined if you have income or savings, but the folks who live paycheck to paycheck, and lost their jobs/ cant work during a lockdown, it's a different perspective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Unfortunately some people don’t care about projections because if they’re not 100% correct they call them fake news because they don’t understand what the word projection means.

Some people are just going to need to see hospitals at max capacity. 

Again.

Because NYC a couple months ago didn’t happen.

I'm waiting to see the fallout on when we return to school in the fall. All of the CDC guidelines can't/won't happen because funding just got cut by millions/billions, and at a school our size (almost 3,000 9th-12th), we are unable to meet the accommodations for capacity in the cafeteria, classroom, changing classes, etc.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm waiting to see the fallout on when we return to school in the fall. All of the CDC guidelines can't/won't happen because funding just got cut by millions/billions, and at a school our size (almost 3,000 9th-12th), we are unable to meet the accommodations for capacity in the cafeteria, classroom, changing classes, etc.

Yeah i was talking to my wife about the same thing.  The things that are required cost a lot of money, and now there's no money...???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Its a really tough situation with no easy answers...I've heard discussions about alternating days, 1/2 the kids MWF and the other 1/2 TuesThurs and then they switch. Some have suggested adding Saturday to the lineups. Others have suggested having a single cohort where a group of 25-30 kids take all their classes together and stay together for the semester. Plexiglas dividers, outdoor classes, filtering the HVAC, even extending school hours to allow for more spreading.

One thing for sure is that the kids, parents and the teachers all want to go back in the fall

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Its a really tough situation with no easy answers...I've heard discussions about alternating days, 1/2 the kids MWF and the other 1/2 TuesThurs and then they switch. Some have suggested adding Saturday to the lineups. Others have suggested having a single cohort where a group of 25-30 kids take all their classes together and stay together for the semester. Plexiglas dividers, outdoor classes, filtering the HVAC, even extending school hours to allow for more spreading.

One thing for sure is that the kids, parents and the teachers all want to go back in the fall

Essentially, that all sounds like it could work, until you factor in that I have 3 kids 5 and under, my wife works, and then we have major childcare issues every other day. Throw in things like curriculum/state testing, curriculum mandates, free/reduced lunch for kids who need it, etc., and it's just not feasible unfortunately.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Did NYC ever hit capacity?  I feel like we saw it coming more than 2 weeks in advance, and were able to slow it down just enough to keep it under capacity.

Bed capacity?  Idk.

Staffing capacity?  Yes.  I was getting offers for as much as 10k per week to come work there, waiving state licensing, etc.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

It seems that Houston is going to be worse.  I don't know how they're going to slow this down enough in the span of 2 weeks to not hit capacity.  It's just not enough time without any steps being taken to mitigate it.

anything short of mandating masks is negligence imo.  I’m not sure what all is open there though.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Man...

We have to make a choice as to whether to send the kids to school or keep them home and do the “online learning” stuff.

I don’t love either option tbh...

27 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

So basically what y'all are saying is "c'mooonnnnn science!!!"......... me too :( 

It's infuriating. Speaking on behalf of nerds everywhere, we did our part. There was a clear consensus on what people needed to do to contain this outbreak, and while there were isolated times that scientific organizations - looking at you WHO - stuck their foot in their mouth, they were isolated incidents. More than 90% of the information that was coming from scientists was consistent, actionable, and easy to understand.

But we can't stop people from ignoring reality if they want.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Man...

We have to make a choice as to whether to send the kids to school or keep them home and do the “online learning” stuff.

I don’t love either option tbh...

Dude, it's brutal either way. Splitting the difference absolutely can't happen. If you offer face to face OR online options, then that at least makes sense and can potentially be viable, but every other day? NO WAY.

What I'm also waiting for is when I have an inevitably positive test on me/one of my family members, then have to quarantine and figure out substitute plans for 14 days, times about 160 HS teachers (not to mention elementary/JH), not to mention all of our face to face kids that this randomly happens to.

Then throw in extra curriculars/athletics...it's going to be a nightmare either way.