Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

HS kids need to go to school just as much as the younger ones...and their desks, bathrooms and cafeteria seating are the wrong size .
We'll probably need to retrofit all schools to make it work and extend the hours of operation beyond the typical 3 pm end- of- the- day

Yep. High school kids aren't magically better at online learning. In fact they're much worse since parents tend to give them more freedom and they know more workarounds. 

2 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Yep. High school kids aren't magically better at online learning. In fact they're much worse since parents tend to give them more freedom and they know more workarounds. 

They may be more responsible to get tasks completed on time, but that’s about it tbh.

Online learning has a lot of limitations, especially if people don’t have a vested interest in learning the info.

3 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Oh I know it's all politically fueled, that's the part that pisses of off... We as a society can't put politics aside for anything, even a pandemic... HUMANS (?) really are a pathetic species tbh.

Most of Europe, Asia, and Oceania did not let politics get in the way of sensible pandemic planning, guidelines, and actions. Don't throw humans under the bus for the collective cognitive decline of the US.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Most of Europe, Asia, and Oceania did not let politics get in the way of sensible pandemic planning, guidelines, and actions. Don't throw humans under the bus for the collective cognitive decline of the US.

Yeah there are a lot of places where humans are grasping this and adapting just fine.

We (the US) aren’t.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They may be more responsible to get tasks completed on time, but that’s about it tbh.

Online learning has a lot of limitations, especially if people don’t have a vested interest in learning the info.

Yeah. The high flyers are fine. The bottom struggle though would struggle in school too, but the ones hardest hit are those in the middle. Not only that, you're asking teachers that aren't nearly as qualified in best practice for online learning with tons of kids that don't have internet or high quality internet at home. Tough row to hoe for everyone. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I knew there was some obvious thing I was missing.

nothing wrong with tossing out ideas and the local district set up a separate website to accommodate suggestions
But after reading through it, its obvious we can't win by displacing one group in favor of another. Parents are "Momma Bears" protecting their kids and they'll attack if provoked or slighted in any way.... :)

The hybrid mix of some classes and together time + some online classes might be the "least crappy" answer -  but there's no playbook and little chance for full consensus no matter what's offered

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s not even all that tbh.

Go out, do some fun things.  I’ve gone hiking, swimming at the lake, rented a cabin in the mountains, etc. 

Just wear a mask around others, keep your distance and wash your mitts.

Those simple things go a long way.

That's my plan - we've rented an AirBnB with a private beach out in South Padre, and we plan on enjoying that during 4th of July week/weekend. The property has a pool, so we'll be swimming pretty much the entire time. We're gonna use a bunch of Postmates for food/beverages, use the fire pit to get a fire going at night and just get away from the norm. 

If we do head in to town, we have masks to use along with face protectors for the kids. We don't plan on doing anything outside of that... and we're OK with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

lol ownt.

Are there any studies regarding socially distancing indoors and not wearing a mask? I thought the CDC said to wear a mask when you can't socially distance, so that's how I've been going about my life, but if I'm indoors say at my dad's house and we can keep at least 6 ft of distance I usually take my mask off. 

7 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

How relevant is this, science people?

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/06/19/science.abc6952

I'm assuming nothing too great since it's a couple days old and nothing has been said yet.

Any mAb treatments are going to be limited by cost and the time to make them, as well as actually dosing it since mAbs have to be dosed IV/SC. Given the limited capacity to distribute this thing and how quickly we're developing vaccines... yeah this doesn't move the needle too much for me.

It is a useful treatment in that this can hopefully reduce mortality of people who are already very sick, which might increase the effective capacity of our hospitals. So don't take this as "this drug is worthless" or anything - this is good news. It's just not front page or even page 2 news IMO.

EDIT: Also, this is natural human mAb, not recombinant. Which means there is a much more pronounced anti-drug antibody risk. Since this is probably a 2-dose max, that might not be a huge deal, but since this is human there's potential for cross-reactivity and major immune system issues.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

Well this is quite interesting:

https://www.deccanherald.com/science-and-environment/covid-19s-herd-immunity-threshold-could-be-lower-than-previously-thought-study-853149.html

"Herd immunity to Covid-19, which happens when so many people in a community become immune to the disease that it stops spreading, could be achieved with fewer people being infected than previously estimated, according to a new study.....

......When they factored in differences in age and social activity in the model, they found that the herd immunity level reduced from 60 to 43 percent."

14 minutes ago, pwny said:

Don’t worry, guys. Texas is doing fine. It only has a 66 MOL. It had a 233 MOL on March 9th, when there were only 12 reported cases. 

Nothing to worry about.

Again, you're blasting a guy who hasn't posted his rankings since last Friday.  Which is about the time that things started to take off there.  He's made little secret of the fact that those numbers are retroactive, not forward looking.

Do you have some agenda against Mission or something?

You didn't respond the other day when I quoted you after you posted something similar.  Can you either make clear what you're trying to do, or just lay off maybe?