Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's infuriating. Speaking on behalf of nerds everywhere, we did our part. There was a clear consensus on what people needed to do to contain this outbreak, and while there were isolated times that scientific organizations - looking at you WHO - stuck their foot in their mouth, they were isolated incidents. More than 90% of the information that was coming from scientists was consistent, actionable, and easy to understand.

But we can't stop people from ignoring reality if they want.

I just continue to try and educate my family and friends. It's all we can really do at this point. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But we can't stop people from ignoring reality if they want.

This is what's infuriating to me (aside from the obvious fact that science people [apparently like yourself] haven't figured this puzzle out yet). The crap I read about people pointing the finger at others while they're out, doing whatever tf they want, is what bothers me. They completely take individual responsibility out of it and just point the finger. Literally, all you have to do is stay home unless you're getting food or something essential, wear a f'ing mask if you do go out, and this thing is contained. The general population are selfish morons. That's what I've learned from this.

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

This is what's infuriating to me (aside from the obvious fact that science people [apparently like yourself] haven't figured this puzzle out yet). The crap I read about people pointing the finger at others while they're out, doing whatever tf they want, is what bothers me. They completely take individual responsibility out of it and just point the finger. Literally, all you have to do is stay home unless you're getting food or something essential, wear a f'ing mask if you do go out, and this thing is contained. The general population are selfish morons. That's what I've learned from this.

It’s not even all that tbh.

Go out, do some fun things.  I’ve gone hiking, swimming at the lake, rented a cabin in the mountains, etc. 

Just wear a mask around others, keep your distance and wash your mitts.

Those simple things go a long way.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Dude, it's brutal either way. Splitting the difference absolutely can't happen. If you offer face to face OR online options, then that at least makes sense and can potentially be viable, but every other day? NO WAY.

What I'm also waiting for is when I have an inevitably positive test on me/one of my family members, then have to quarantine and figure out substitute plans for 14 days, times about 160 HS teachers (not to mention elementary/JH), not to mention all of our face to face kids that this randomly happens to.

Then throw in extra curriculars/athletics...it's going to be a nightmare either way.

I have no clue wtf to do here tbh.

Send them to a germ pit, or keep them home and take away the social aspects of school, which are important.

Also, I’m not sure my liver can handle more home schooling.

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This is the official slogan of our Cleveland Browns subforum.

Ayyye- I like what y'all did this offseason. I knew you guys were going to flop last year because you neglected the trenches, but you addressed that need heavily this offseason. I could see a playoff birth for y'all.

Okay...back to the morbid discussion of COVID, haha

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Go out, do some fun things.  I’ve gone hiking, swimming at the lake, rented a cabin in the mountains, etc. 

This. So much this.

I've hung out with friends and family. We've had a few hiccups along the way, but I've addressed them personally- and most people seem to understand that if we're going to hang out we're doing it by the book. Masks if you can't socially distance. It's that simple. 

I went over my buddy's house last weekend. He said his wife had some people over. As soon as I walk in I notice no one is wearing masks. I had mine on. Some dude walked up to me extending his hand to introduce himself and I gave him the old stiff arm. I told him "I'm all for that social distancing ****, my dude" He respected my boundaries. We then went outside and stayed about 6 ft apart, so I took my mask off. My friends and family know not to play that s*** with me.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but when I see people out and about wearing masks I don't feel anxiety. I feel a sense of community. That we're all in this together, and we all want to keep each other safe. Of course, masks are mandatory in public places in NY, but I like to think a lot of those people would wear masks regardless (even though I'm sure that ain't true!)

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I have no clue wtf to do here tbh.

Send them to a germ pit, or keep them home and take away the social aspects of school, which are important.

Also, I’m not sure my liver can handle more home schooling.

I'm spitballing here, but what about having middle/high school online where the kids are old enough to still learn something without babysitting, and have K-5 in person, but move it from the elementary school to a much larger HS? 

That way, you have a lot more capacity to socially distance, similar to a restaurant operating at 25% dine in capacity.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm spitballing here, but what about having middle/high school online where the kids are old enough to still learn something without babysitting, and have K-5 in person, but move it from the elementary school to a much larger HS? 

That way, you have a lot more capacity to socially distance, similar to a restaurant operating at 25% dine in capacity.

It sounds good on the outside, but I have no clue how that works for schools.

It also doesn’t work for a lot of parents tbh. Childcare during the day for 2 months in the summer is one thing (and expensive), year round is a whole different animal.

and leaving 11-12-13 year olds alone for 8 hours a day 5 days a week is just asking for trouble. Same with teens tbh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's not a bad idea at all...

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You're right. I'm still holding onto the initial lockdown mentality when it was cold out. That's my fault.

You're 100% correct. There's still things to do that don't require a lot of people that can be controlled.

• Like 1

The sad part to me about the schools is that it would have been a lot better to have them open after a full 6 months of lockdown. We only did 2.5 months 

The other sad thing is that the trillions we are pumping into corporations should have gone to schools 20 years ago. Now we have no money left for what is actually important

Our education system was already underfunded and now it's completely ****ed

Sad 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

anything short of mandating masks is negligence imo.  I’m not sure what all is open there though.

Everything is open with 50% capacity requirements, but I don't know if businesses are adhering to it.

Masks are now mandatory in Harris and Fort Bend County. No talk of anything getting locked down again, but there's discussion of more coming down the pipeline.

• Like 1

HS kids need to go to school just as much as the younger ones...and their desks, bathrooms and cafeteria seating are the wrong size .
We'll probably need to retrofit all schools to make it work and extend the hours of operation beyond the typical 3 pm end- of- the- day

• Like 3

Just now, Shanedorf said:

HS kids need to go to school just as much as the younger ones...and their desks, bathrooms and cafeteria seating are the wrong size .
We'll probably need to retrofit all schools to make it work and extend the hours of operation beyond the typical 3 pm end- of- the- day

I knew there was some obvious thing I was missing.