Christian Watson this, Christian Watson that....dude's done NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

vegas492

Love that they hit Watson on a bunch of in-breaking stuff after they hit him on the 9 route for the TD.  Get the defense worried about making sure they have a safety over the top, then just let Watson run away from him too.  Puts a lot of scary film out there for future DCs, especially given how strong the run game is looking; the last thing you want to have to defend from a heavy box is a 6'5" receiver who's faster than your entire DB room.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Love that they hit Watson on a bunch of in-breaking stuff after they hit him on the 9 route for the TD.  Get the defense worried about making sure they have a safety over the top, then just let Watson run away from him too.  Puts a lot of scary film out there for future DCs, especially given how strong the run game is looking; the last thing you want to have to defend from a heavy box is a 6'5" receiver who's faster than your entire DB room.

Yeah, it’s so nice that his three TDs weren’t just sideline go routes. 

Can Watson catch the ball reliably?  Will he be able to stay reasonably healthy?

If the answer to both of those is yes, I sure feel a lot better about that trade up today than I did a week ago.

The term “matchup nightmare” almost seems like a cliché at this point with how often it's used, but Watson is definitely that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Can Watson catch the ball reliably?  Will he be able to stay reasonably healthy?

If the answer to both of those is yes, I sure feel a lot better about that trade up today than I did a week ago.

The term “matchup nightmare” almost seems like a cliché at this point with how often it's used, but Watson is definitely that.

To be determined but he's got over 10" hands. He ought to be able to just pluck it out of the air. I think his confidence has to be sky high at this point. 

Not to say he won't drop another pass, but Rodgers has to see what he does for this offense at this point. So, if he does drop one, he has to go back to him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Well worth it. The guys a unicorn 

Sunday was I think his first catch from Rodgers more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.  He got one from Love in Minne, but until Sunday I think all of his actual catches were jets and catch-and-run throws.  i think his concussion play a week or two, MAYBE that was 5 yards deep, I can't remember.  

But yeah, fun to get him out on some routes where his wheels can play.  

Given that the Packers have no other weapons other than jones to defend, though, I imagine next game the defense will give him more attention.  

Edited by craig

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

even with two big drops he put up 100+ yards and 3 tds. I’ll take that with inconsistent hands in his rookie year. 

2 hours ago, craig said:

Sunday was I think his first catch from Rodgers more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.  He got one from Love in Minne, but until Sunday I think all of his actual catches were jets and catch-and-run throws.  i think his concussion play a week or two, MAYBE that was 5 yards deep, I can't remember.  

But yeah, fun to get him out on some routes where his wheels can play.  

Given that the Packers have no other weapons other than jones to defend, though, I imagine next game the defense will give him more attention.  

I am almost positive that the play against Buffalo was some kind of screen that he took for like 10 or whatever it was.

Watson value is important to this offense and his presence needs to be established early.  Even if he doesn't catch it, they need to make the defense account for him.  It changes a lot of the underneath stuff and the running game.

Feed this kid as much as you need to. It establishes him against defenses and you'll hit on some of them.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1