TCMD 2024 - You In?

jch1911

17 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

Hey guys. Sorry I've been M.I.A.

I'm back in offseason mode, which means down to participate in whatever. Spent the past week trying to catch up on some scouting. Got a little distracted this year as I'm up to 8 different fantasy leagues, 6 dynasty, with several different formats.

Colts, correct?

• Like 1

Had to switch to Bing / Edge to post.  Chrome only works on the job for me for some reason.

@EaglesPeteC switched you from Colts because  @RTTRUTH is with us

@KingOfNewYork added you for Lions

I count 2 open teams (Bills, Seahawks) with Saints by committee

If you want switch off a team, please let us know.

Almost there!

Arizona Cardinals - @LuckyNumber11
Atlanta Falcons -  @ovfd55
Baltimore Ravens -  @Trojan
Buffalo Bills - 

Carolina Panthers - @Outlaw
Chicago Bears - @Madmike90
Cincinnati Bengals - @sparky151
Cleveland Browns - @cortes02
Dallas Cowboys -    @WizardHawk + @MaddHatter will help out whoever GMs

Denver Broncos - @BowserBroncos
Detroit Lions - @KingOfNewYork

Green Bay Packers -  @squire12 &  @Packerraymond
Houston Texans - @jch1911
Indianapolis Colts - @RTTRUTH
Jacksonville Jaguars - @Justone2
Kansas City Chiefs - @RedGold & @TedLavie
Las Vegas Raiders - @NYRaider   
Los Angeles Chargers - @whodatOL
Los Angeles Rams - @Freebirdsrams
Miami Dolphins - @mountainpd 
Minnesota Vikings -  @MikeT14
New England Patriots - @DTMW78

New Orleans Saints - Committee?
New York Giants - @ny92mike
New York Jets - @JetsandI
Philadelphia Eagles -   @downundermike
Pittsburgh Steelers - @Cbrunn
San Francisco 49ers - @Forge 
Seattle Seahawks - 
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - @EaglesPeteC

Tennessee Titans - @Daniel 
Washington Commanders - @MKnight82  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Had to switch to Bing / Edge to post.  Chrome only works on the job for me for some reason.

Almost there!

Buffalo Bills - 

Seattle Seahawks - 

I can take Seahawks or Bills if they dont get filled.  Seahawks would be my 1st choice of those 2

8 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Almost there!

Buffalo Bills - 

Seattle Seahawks - 

I can take one of the remaining teams as my 2nd team. Even the Saints. Are there any plans to adapt the restructure rules for the Saints?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, whodatOL said:

I can take one of the remaining teams as my 2nd team. Even the Saints. Are there any plans to adapt the restructure rules for the Saints?

We can work with you on that team.  I'll need to see how bad that team looks once I get them loaded into the workbook.  If it's pretty bad which I'm hearing they are I'll probably allow them to have additional restructures and/or extensions.  Never want someone in this if they aren't going to have fun.

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

We can work with you on that team.  I'll need to see how bad that team looks once I get them loaded into the workbook.  If it's pretty bad which I'm hearing they are I'll probably allow them to have additional restructures and/or extensions.  Never want someone in this if they aren't going to have fun.

In real life, the situation this year is pretty simple, there won't even be any cuts. But in real life you need 6-7 restructures for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ny92mike said:

83.7m in hole without rookie salary included.  Oh yeah, that is heavy.    they need to designate 8 post June 1 cuts to start. lol.    

Saints draft group is loaded with day 3 picks.

32 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

How do you guys handle teams that write contracts with built in salary conversions? Cowboys have 5-6 players who are set to have their salary converted to a sign on bonus, all documented by spotrac. 

Yeah, there probably needs to be a simple restructure process where base salary / roster bonus is converted to signing bonus without changing the current contract APY.

There are a lot of NFL contracts that are setup this way from the beginning.

From 2023.  Some are smaller cap savings, some are clearing $5-10+M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2023/restructure/

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, whodatOL said:

In real life, the situation this year is pretty simple, there won't even be any cuts. But in real life you need 6-7 restructures for that.

Would you be okay with a team / committee effort on the free agency part and you handling the draft?  I think a true Saints fan would know the roster better and what areas to address via draft.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Yeah, there probably needs to be a simple restructure process where base salary / roster bonus is converted to signing bonus without changing the current contract APY.

There are a lot of NFL contracts that are setup this way from the beginning.

From 2023.  Some are smaller cap savings, some are clearing $5-10+M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2023/restructure/

I seriously wonder why some teams even bother with doing this. Houston is a great example. Converted two different players salary into signing bonus, adding 4 void years each (have I mentioned how much I hate this practice?), and yet they're listed as having the 5th most cap space in the league. Why bother with the restructures?

Titans converted $11M of Landry's salary, and yet they're 2nd in available cap. Makes no sense to me.

The Saints are suffering from years of kicking the can down the road. They should have taken a down year after Brees retired to reset their cap. But they didn't because they are in a weak division which even a middling team can win. So they've kept the band together too long with a series of restructures. It's now to the point where even cutting every single player on the roster who gains them cap space wouldn't be enough to become cap compliant. So they need to do more restructures. In real life the league has no limit on those but in TCMD we do limit them since it's a one year simulation. We don't want everyone maxing out their cap space for a single season to go on a free agent binge.

So my suggestion for the Saints only is to allow them as many restructures as they need to become cap compliant plus 1 or 2 more. I'd previously volunteered to run the Saints if we didn't have a GM just for them. My plan was to do the minimum of restructures and maximum of cuts/trades. If I were running the Saints they would only be bidding on cheap free agents, probably no more than 3-5 million per player. They'd be active in UDFA after the draft. They'd be cap compliant for 2024 with some dead money for 2025 but in much better cap shape from that point forward. How competitive their roster would be is up to Dennis Allen. Depending on what the Falcons do at QB, the Saints might be in the mix to win the NFCS, though they wouldn't go far in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The Saints are suffering from years of kicking the can down the road. They should have taken a down year after Brees retired to reset their cap. But they didn't because they are in a weak division which even a middling team can win. So they've kept the band together too long with a series of restructures. It's now to the point where even cutting every single player on the roster who gains them cap space wouldn't be enough to become cap compliant. So they need to do more restructures. In real life the league has no limit on those but in TCMD we do limit them since it's a one year simulation. We don't want everyone maxing out their cap space for a single season to go on a free agent binge.

So my suggestion for the Saints only is to allow them as many restructures as they need to become cap compliant plus 1 or 2 more. I'd previously volunteered to run the Saints if we didn't have a GM just for them. My plan was to do the minimum of restructures and maximum of cuts/trades. If I were running the Saints they would only be bidding on cheap free agents, probably no more than 3-5 million per player. They'd be active in UDFA after the draft. They'd be cap compliant for 2024 with some dead money for 2025 but in much better cap shape from that point forward. How competitive their roster would be is up to Dennis Allen. Depending on what the Falcons do at QB, the Saints might be in the mix to win the NFCS, though they wouldn't go far in the playoffs. 

Originial Cuts and Trades wont do the trick there.