NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 5/5/2020 at 8:40 AM, Leader said:

PFT -  Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre was paid $1.1 million for speeches he never gave, according to an audit of the Mississippi Department of Human Services.

The 104-page audit also uncovered some other shady investments of public funds designed to help the poorest Mississippians, including buying expensive cars, hiring family members of state officials and sponsoring a college baseball tournament.

According to Luke Ramseth of the Mississippi Clarion Ledger, Favre was paid $1.1 million in two installments by the Mississippi Community Education Center for appearances, promotions, autographs and speaking engagements. Auditors said after reviewing dates and other details they determined Favre “did not speak nor was he present for those events.”

3 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I am about halfway through the first season of Ozark. At this point I just assume the cartels are laundering money through shell nonprofits paying exorbitant sums to Brett which he then kicks back so they don't shoot his dog.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I am about halfway through the first season of Ozark. At this point I just assume the cartels are laundering money through shell nonprofits paying exorbitant sums to Brett which he then kicks back so they don't shoot his dog.

lol, i'm on season 2 right now

I've been seeing a lot of rumors out there that Ju Ju Smith Schuster could be had via trade.  That is one player that would make a lot of sense for the Packers.  He's 23, and has proven to be a highly competent #2 receiver.  He's on his final season of a cheap rookie deal, but the Packers have shown a willingness to pay out some serious coin for another good receiver.  They may have been in on Robbie Anderson, and reportedly made a three year offer to Emmanuel Sanders.  I hope the Packers are sniffing around on this one.  That's a move that could move the needle.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

23 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I've been seeing a lot of rumors out there that Ju Ju Smith Schuster could be had via trade.  That is one player that would make a lot of sense for the Packers.  He's 23, and has proven to be a highly competent #2 receiver.  He's on his final season of a cheap rookie deal, but the Packers have shown a willingness to pay out some serious coin for another good receiver.  They may have been in on Robbie Anderson, and reportedly made a three year offer to Emmanuel Sanders.  I hope the Packers are sniffing around on this one.  That's a move that could move the needle.

I've seen that too.  If the price would be right … definitely kick the tires.  I know he's a decent wr pass catching wise … how is he as a blocker?  Seems the Packers are wanting their wr to be blockers too.

8 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I've seen that too.  If the price would be right … definitely kick the tires.  I know he's a decent wr pass catching wise … how is he as a blocker?  Seems the Packers are wanting their wr to be blockers too.

I know it’s a penalty but he is at least a willing blocker. Not afraid to stick a LB in the middle of the field. 

Just now, YaddaHolla said:

I know it’s a penalty but he is at least a willing blocker. Not afraid to stick a LB in the middle of the field. 

That wasn't being a willing blocker, that was giving a cheap shot player a cheap shot.  It was purely revenge, and I like Schuster less for his stupid flex after the hit and the hit.  What kind of an idiot?  Literally anybody can level anybody on one of those "blocks."  I remember Randy Moss did it against us years ago when he was still a Viking and Viking fans got all excited about how awesome it was before it became illegal.  Randy Moss was the least willing blocker in the history of the NFL at the position. 

There are some peel back blocks that are obviously just heat of the moment types and you can tell based on how the blocking player reacts.  That was just a cheap shot dirty play by JJSS. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That wasn't being a willing blocker, that was giving a cheap shot player a cheap shot.  It was purely revenge, and I like Schuster less for his stupid flex after the hit and the hit.  What kind of an idiot?  Literally anybody can level anybody on one of those "blocks."  I remember Randy Moss did it against us years ago when he was still a Viking and Viking fans got all excited about how awesome it was before it became illegal.  Randy Moss was the least willing blocker in the history of the NFL at the position. 

There are some peel back blocks that are obviously just heat of the moment types and you can tell based on how the blocking player reacts.  That was just a cheap shot dirty play by JJSS. 

This play would've been celebrated 10 years ago. It's football, I'm fine with the player safety aspect that we're going for but if you de-cleat a guy within 5 yards from the ball, it's not dirty, it's football. It's a penalty now, but I remember when peel backs and crack backs were just built into the blocking schemes of plays, nothing better than when one was called as tight end split out to the slot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

What would you be willing to give up for him? He's hard to judge based off last year. He was given the reigns but lost Ben to injury right away. Seeing #1 coverage and piss poor QB play really hurt his numbers. The year before that though he was electric. I'd be willing to give up a 2nd considering he will be due for a decent raise and I expect him to rebound this year, but not much more

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This play would've been celebrated 10 years ago. It's football, I'm fine with the player safety aspect that we're going for but if you de-cleat a guy within 5 yards from the ball, it's not dirty, it's football. It's a penalty now, but I remember when peel backs and crack backs were just built into the blocking schemes of plays, nothing better than when one was called as tight end split out to the slot. 

That was a dirty hit 100%.  It was a revenge hit.  Burfict probably deserved it I won’t lie.  I was just responding to it being evidence of it being willingness to block.