Mini TCMD - Discussion Thread

ny92mike

My votes for top drafts would be:

1.Buffalo - @NickChowaniec:  Just had a really solid draft adding potential talent where it's needed.  Really my only criticism would be not getting that stud WR for Josh Allen, but if it's not there, it's not there...and Ed Oliver could be a real game changer on defense.  Rodney Anderson is a particularly interesting one, in that if he ends up healthy...they grabbed a near-1st round caliber RB in the late rounds.  One thing i didn't love, is a guy like McLaurin with his really iffy hands...paired up with noted rocket thrower Josh Allen.  But the guy has some speed and quickness and can get open...it could survive i guess.

2.Miami - @mountainpd:  Had exactly the sort of draft i think i'd want to see out of a team in the Dolphins position.  Just a lot of darts in the board, and a lot of good ones imo.  I'm not a huge Daniel Jones guy, but it's not a bad shot to take there and see...and i'm just floored by a guy in Clayton Thorson who isn't that far behind Jones imo, grabbed in the late rounds like that.  I was gonna draft the guy, despite having QBs coming out the ears of my roster, if they hadn't grabbed him where they did.  DeAndre Walker where the Phins got him was way beyond where he should've gone as a pass rushing upside gamble, and i loved the Gary Jennings pick.  He's another potential Jarvis Landry type pick who can be a great volume target in the right scheme.

3.Green Bay - @squire12: More than once, i had disappointment, as the Packers grabbed a guy i'd hoped against hope would fall to my pick.  I still don't really dig the Burns thing, but Risner at the bottom of the 1st is superb, and Deebo was another guy i really wished i could've found a way to get.  Just couldn't find a way to make the picks fit the value before he was gone.

4.Cleveland - @cortes02: Another one of those real solid drafts just adding depth at good positions where it came to them.  Dremont and Collier are both great DLine pickups at stellar value points.

5.Tie between:

-DEN @BowserBroncos: Think i'm probably letting my love for Hock and Abram colour my evaluation...but man, you can't lose a draft with two players that good.

-DET @winitall: I don't love a lot of the Lions draft, but getting Metcalf at 14 is great.  Lots of risk, but the sort of upside that had me thinking about him at 7.  Really good get, letting him fall to a point.  Think Martez Ivey could be a late round steal on value too.  Raw, but with all the tools that some NFL coaching could turn him into a starting OT which ain't bad for the value.

-PIT @Cbrunn: Not necessarily guys i love a lot in the draft, but just ran a straight Steelers draft.  Grabbed all sorts of guys who would just make so much sense in that organization and have plenty of upside.  I think probably wins my award for "draft most like the real team".

-PHI @EaglesPeteC: Not a lot that really jumps out about the draft, but just a ton of picks and a lot of guys i like just filling out depth and roles.  That's where good teams stay good.

• Like 6

On 3/27/2019 at 12:15 AM, ny92mike said:

As always, I'm looking for feedback to make improvements for next years mini version should we pursue it as a second mock draft.  Next year, we'll get back to the original version of TCMD, but I still think we can benefit from discussing a little bit about this mock to perhaps make improvements to the OG version.

Questions:

1. In the Draft board workbook, I included hyperlinks with the player names to load their youtube highlights.
    1. Did you find it useful?  
  2. Were the private team workbooks any better and adding and removing players to manage your salary cap and roster info?
    1. Any suggestions on making them more user friendly?
  3. Under the mini rules, we opened up the ability to trade players that were extended or restructured.  I personally benefited from it twice, once in the trade for Kevin Zeitler.  Trading him after the restructure saved me millions because after the restructure only his base salary of the vet min was applied to my cap.  I also benefited from it when I worked a deal with Miami, for Robert Quinn.  Miami still had an extension left which it cost me a higher value draft pick but after the extension his high cap was decreased down to a much more manageable amount.
    1. Now in the original tcmd version, most teams wouldn't want to trade a player that they just extended or restructured because of the dead money hit they would take, but the Great Gettleman in trading Odell in the same season he was given a massive extension shows that some teams are willing to risk it all and do it.
    2. What do you guys think about adding this into the original tcmd?  Or would you rather see it removed from both versions?
  4. For the mini version, I did find the one year fa deals to be like rapid fire contracts but it was still a lot of fun.  I don't think it took away to much from the fun of making complex multi year deals.  However, I would like to see the APY used as a base and bonus.  Having the bonus added creates a way to include dead money, which I think should be included.  It was so easy to create cap space in this version that I actually had to refrain at times.  I went from about 20 million in cap to over 55 million making a couple transactions.
  5. I think we should reduce the number of extensions and restructures at least in this mini version and perhaps even the orig. version.

Anyway, I would really appreciate the feedback as it allows us to make improvements.  

I'm sure I left things off so feel free to include them in your response.  Look forward to reading your replies.

Thanks for participating in TCMD, wouldn't be possible without your support and dedication.

@LuckyNumber11

@Justone2

@DTMW78

@NickChowaniec

@BowserBroncos

@sparky151

@cortes02

@D82

@winitall

@squire12

@jch1911

@Counselor

@Tugboat

@samsel23

@Trojan

@jrry32

@mountainpd

@Deadpulse

@Dome

@KingOfTheDot

@daineraider

@EaglesPeteC

@Cbrunn

@Forge

@IrishHooligan00

@CHOMP_CHOMP

@mike23md

bump.

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

My votes for top drafts would be:

1.Buffalo - @NickChowaniec:  Just had a really solid draft adding potential talent where it's needed.  Really my only criticism would be not getting that stud WR for Josh Allen, but if it's not there, it's not there...and Ed Oliver could be a real game changer on defense.  Rodney Anderson is a particularly interesting one, in that if he ends up healthy...they grabbed a near-1st round caliber RB in the late rounds.  One thing i didn't love, is a guy like McLaurin with his really iffy hands...paired up with noted rocket thrower Josh Allen.  But the guy has some speed and quickness and can get open...it could survive i guess.

2.Miami - @mountainpd:  Had exactly the sort of draft i think i'd want to see out of a team in the Dolphins position.  Just a lot of darts in the board, and a lot of good ones imo.  I'm not a huge Daniel Jones guy, but it's not a bad shot to take there and see...and i'm just floored by a guy in Clayton Thorson who isn't that far behind Jones imo, grabbed in the late rounds like that.  I was gonna draft the guy, despite having QBs coming out the ears of my roster, if they hadn't grabbed him where they did.  DeAndre Walker where the Phins got him was way beyond where he should've gone as a pass rushing upside gamble, and i loved the Gary Jennings pick.  He's another potential Jarvis Landry type pick who can be a great volume target in the right scheme.

3.Green Bay - @squire12: More than once, i had disappointment, as the Packers grabbed a guy i'd hoped against hope would fall to my pick.  I still don't really dig the Burns thing, but Risner at the bottom of the 1st is superb, and Deebo was another guy i really wished i could've found a way to get.  Just couldn't find a way to make the picks fit the value before he was gone.

4.Cleveland - @cortes02: Another one of those real solid drafts just adding depth at good positions where it came to them.  Dremont and Collier are both great DLine pickups at stellar value points.

5.Tie between:

-DEN @BowserBroncos: Think i'm probably letting my love for Hock and Abram colour my evaluation...but man, you can't lose a draft with two players that good.

-DET @winitall: I don't love a lot of the Lions draft, but getting Metcalf at 14 is great.  Lots of risk, but the sort of upside that had me thinking about him at 7.  Really good get, letting him fall to a point.  Think Martez Ivey could be a late round steal on value too.  Raw, but with all the tools that some NFL coaching could turn him into a starting OT which ain't bad for the value.

-PIT @Cbrunn: Not necessarily guys i love a lot in the draft, but just ran a straight Steelers draft.  Grabbed all sorts of guys who would just make so much sense in that organization and have plenty of upside.  I think probably wins my award for "draft most like the real team".

-PHI @EaglesPeteC: Not a lot that really jumps out about the draft, but just a ton of picks and a lot of guys i like just filling out depth and roles.  That's where good teams stay good.

Thanks for the kind words! I tried to capitalize on value. Adding Tyrell Williams in FA allowed me to go after a WR at any point versus forcing myself to go for one early. 

In terms of best draft, I like mine as the Bengals. None of the players drafted will be starters as rookies. But in terms of getting value for picks, we will probably have the most compared to where people go in real life. Kyler Murray might go #1 overall and Kaleb McGary will likely go 25-50 in real life. 

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

In terms of best draft, I like mine as the Bengals. None of the players drafted will be starters as rookies. But in terms of getting value for picks, we will probably have the most compared to where people go in real life. Kyler Murray might go #1 overall and Kaleb McGary will likely go 25-50 in real life. 

I'll use the draft board to track irl picks to see how close we hit it.  Should make for some good discussion / debate.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...