Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, rackcs said:

The solution was to not open up campuses in the first place. The students absolutely share much of the blame but these colleges knew what was going to happen, they knew that it would spread. So instead of just shutting down in the first place they opened things up. Inevitably they're going to have to shut down again. Now you're going to have college students coming to college, being exposed to the virus, and then being sent back home, further spreading the disease. The decision to reopen was entirely about money and it's disgusting to me.

Everything is about money. 

Tbh, at least money is a fairly traceable rationale, even if I wholeheartedly disagree with the cost-benefit analysis and find it callous.

The primary schools in moderate-to-high risk areas may as well be sending me this for their re-opening plan:

original.gif

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rackcs said:

The solution was to not open up campuses in the first place. The students absolutely share much of the blame but these colleges knew what was going to happen, they knew that it would spread. So instead of just shutting down in the first place they opened things up. Inevitably they're going to have to shut down again. Now you're going to have college students coming to college, being exposed to the virus, and then being sent back home, further spreading the disease. The decision to reopen was entirely about money and it's disgusting to me.

56 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I totally understand that sentiment. And agree. I’m also bias the other way since my job is dependent on students living on campus so I don’t know what else to do right now but hope for the best.

4 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Gonna go off on a tangent here, but is that $36,500 count room, board and tuition, or just tuition?  Because holy hell, no wonder why graduates are drowning in debt. 

For the record, some of my closest friends have next to no debt so I don't have a working knowledge of things.  One didn't go to college, another went online after CC over a couple years, another went to a university around Baltimore but commuted and another had her education paid for by the military. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Except that initial prediction said 200k by August so it was way off on the timeframe

The actual deaths being lower is a good thing. Though as mentioned before, utilizing multiple models is better than relying on solely one.