Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Daniel Jeremiah on the Athletic Football Show says the messages he has got from around league points to this move being for Mac Jones. 

@N4L @Forge How would you and the general population of 9er fans feel if they did draft Jones at 3?

Edited by Hunter2_1

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@N4L @Forge How would you and the general population of 9er fans feel if they did draft Jones at 3?

I think most of us would've been ok at taking Jones...at 12. Now that we traded up to 3 and took him? I personally would be deeply let down and would have a hard time trusting Shanny or Lynch's decision making in the future. Other than financially, Jones in my opinion isn't an upgrade from Jimmy G. 

• Like 4

On 3/27/2021 at 9:45 AM, Forge said:

Its not. It's better to be picking 12 than it is 16 when what you want is at the top of the draft. Trades like that don't happen often. 

With it's starting QB, they are 24-9. Seems a pretty reasonable expectation. 

24-9 when led by an actual nfl starting caliber QB and not a back up seems like a pretty solid record. As my post originally said, you're banking on an injury to have the 9ers pick that high again. That's not an unreasonable claim given what we have seen through these years. Jimmy G, when healthy gives this team a floor of middling team. 

Now it's fair to wonder whether JImmy will stay healthy. Obviously 4 injuries in 35 starts is too much, but that's the reason that they are making the move. 

The logic was assuming health of Jimmy as I said in the post. It's right here:

If you would go to the original post that I as replying to. You would see why the discussion was on Jimmy 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Well, the other injuries are completely relevant to the discussion at hand regarding the 49ers likelihood of picking high again.

Read the above quote where it pretty clearly is discussing Jimmy G injury, notthe rest of the team.

7 hours ago, N4L said:

The "garoppolo wins games when hes healthy" argument is a derivative of that discussion, not the other way around. 

You are choosing to focus on one singular issue - garoppolos health - without realizing that his health is no longer as big of a determining factor in the 49ers record. We will now have another QB to play in the event of injury. 

Discussed it because that is what was being discussed 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Ignoring the context of the rest of the teams health, and the improved nature of the QB room, just to argue that Garoppolos health is something you can not rely on, and therefore the niners should have planned on picking high again, rather than just making the deal to move up this offseason, seems intentionally dense and obtuse. If you cant rely on JG's health, then shouldnt you be going up and getting another QB that you like to play in his stead? What am I missing here??

The discussion was about Jimmy being able to stay healthy 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

The arguement you are making is - "garoppolo cant stay healthy, so the niners should have planned on picking high again next year". Even if you did not say those words verbatim, you are making counterpoints to 49ers fans who are telling you that the team does not expect to miss the playoffs for the next few years. We do not believe that is an unrealistic expectation because of the talent we have. George Kittle, Fred Warner, Nick Bosa, Trent Williams. Those are four all pro, cornerstone level players. Two of them were drafted in the third round or later. This front office finds guys in later rounds who can play. The only 2021 draft pick we gave up in this trade was #12. We still have 9 total picks. 

Feel free to disagree with the talent on/expectations of the niners, but refusing to step outside of the very narrow lense you are attempting to evaluate the discussion - through Garoppolos health solely - seems perplexing for a man of your deductive reasoning skills. 

That is not what I am saying at all LOL

I am simply saying that this past season was an absolute disaster for the 49ers from things that were not strictly within their control. If you dont agree, then you werent paying attention and are ignorant to the current state of the 49ers

I shouldnt need to break it down for you. It is well documented. 

You don't need to break something down that wasn't about other plFandom. I am aware of the injuries SF dealt with in 2020

Sorry to ruffle your fandom.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I am kind of in a weird mindset with him. In a vacuum i probably would be happiest with Mac Jones just purely based on the player and how i think he translates to Kyle's offense. However if you give up what we gave up there really are two ways i think you can go. You either go for a guy that slots in day one and is likely an upgrade over what you have (don't think either of the three is that level above Jimmy for year one so to say) or you do it for bigger upside which would fit more with Fields or Lance.

If we had the third pick without having to give up those two future firsts or anything close to that and we selected Jones i would weird enough be more happy with the pick than i would be after what we gave up now.

• Like 1

My guess is the 49ers go with Fields.  It doesn't make sense at all to me for them to give up an RGIII-like haul for a prospect like Jones.  At the other end of the spectrum, and regardless of the draft world's thinking on these prospects currently, I find it hard to believe NFL decision-makers would take Lance over Fields after giving up that haul.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

My guess is the 49ers go with Fields.  It doesn't make sense at all to me for them to give up an RGIII-like haul for a prospect like Jones.  At the other end of the spectrum, and regardless of the draft world's thinking on these prospects currently, I find it hard to believe NFL decision-makers would take Lance over Fields after giving up that haul.

Agreed. It literally makes no sense why a team would draft a QB that has a year of tape + 1 game in the top 3. Would be idiotic

Fields is more seasoned and experienced. No way Lynch pulls a Bears move. Taking Lance is basically selecting Mitch Tribuisky over Watson

25 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

That we prepaid for a steak and took a hotdog instead.

We do love our hotdogs, though.

The hot dog doesn't look like much based on appearance, but turns out to be a kobe beef hot dog and better than the top sirloin steak that was prepaid for.

• Like 1